Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight & The Squires - Complete Live Recordings (flac)

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight & The Squires - Complete Live Recordings (flac)

Can someone with a complete seed please lean into this one? Thank you and have a very nice day!

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix and Curtis Knight & The Squires - Complete Live Recordings (flac)

Thank you very much for the upload, artwork, and kindness in reseeding. This is a very important collection. I can't wait to listen to it today. Have a wonderful day!

Thanks

Thanks to Dino for the post. There's much discussion here about Chalpin's 1965 contract. Would anyone care to post it?

Thanks

1000(THX+huge hugs), Dino!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,554 Times in 2,454 Posts

Line up now includes George Bragg - drums on 'Come on Pt1' & 'Satisfaction' and quite possibly others. See earlyhendrix.com

Thanks

Thanks for uploading, thanks for the artwork, thanks for the discussion and especially thanks for continuing to seed.

Thanks

Brilliant! Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

thank-you dino77 i got tons of this early stuff but im d-loading it to compare .where's the original hackensack recording done on dec 26th any one have it? i got the Lp on music label Music for Pleasure thanks again

Thanks

Hey, thank you very much to those of you who are seeding this. I have a couple of ancient LPs with much of this stuff (which I'm sure every last one of you knows all about...), but I think I will probably like this better.

My ratio is truly horrible, but I'm working on it... (I've have a pretty crappy connection -- it drops for 15 seconds every 5 minutes like clockwork -- who the hell knows why?)

Thanks for all the work you guys do. AWESOME!

gord k.
    voodn! voodn!

Thanks

Is it just me, or did Jimi and Curtis Knight have awfully similar voices?

Thanks

Seed, please.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fomalhaut View Post
    Seed, please.
    seeding now. Enjoy!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to susep73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

GEORGES CLUB 20 SETLISTs

Okay… This is an attempt to answer Dino77’s request for more ideas on the George’s Club setlist problem! I have pulled together the new ideas on sequencing from the earlyhendrix Dagger review, extended Dino77’s speculations about the players, and added some assumptions of my own. (I can’t find the exact thread with that post now. It had five groups of tracks…)

My first, and arguable, assumption is that ATM 101-2 represents 4 x 40-minute sets. Curtis says ‘What a fast forty-minutes’ in Band Outro. And the Youngblood tracks add up to 35 minutes, so I am also going to assume that the first date, Dec 26, has one set with Youngblood and one without.

The set without Youngblood must be all the remaining tracks with Harry Jensen on guitar. (He switches to bass on the second date, Jan 22, when George Bragg comes in on drums.) I have extended Dino77’s speculations by also using sound quality to distinguish between the first and second dates. I know the arguments against this, but hold on!

To my ears the 26 Dec tracks are more likely to have a denser sound, more vocal distortion, recessed vocals and drier vocals. And the 22 Jan vocals are more likely to be clearer, up-front and echo-y. I also suspect there may be patterns to the audience noise: real audience on Dec 26 (listen to the whoops following Jimi’s “I’m a man!” line for example) and fake audience (murmuring) on non-ATM versions of Killing Floor/Last Night from Jan 22.

Thinking about the sound quality and the audience, I speculate that Curtis did the first date with a real audience, was unhappy with the sound quality, and then did the second date in an empty club. (Fake audience can be added to both sets of recordings of course…)

This is very speculative, and definitely work in progress (maybe sophisticated audio analysis could help…), but it at least makes a good way to listen to these amazing tracks – I liked John McDermott’s liner comment about imagining the reaction if we had just discovered these recordings recently…

THE SETLISTS

26 December 1965 – First Set – Band 1a (with Youngblood) 35 min

The Lovelights
    vocals: Curtis Knight & Jimi Hendrix
    guitar: Jimi Hendrix
    guitar: Harry Jensen
    bass: Ace Hall
    drums: Ditto Edwards
    sax & vocals: Lonnie Youngblood

Walking The Dog (Jimi: lv)
    I’m A Man (Jimi: lv)
    Twist And Shout
    Mr Pitiful (Youngblood: lv)
    I Got You (I Feel Good) (alt) (Youngblood: lv)
    I Got You (I Feel Good) (Youngblood: lv)
    Killing Floor (alt) (Jimi: lv)
    There Is Something On Your Mind
    Travelin’ To California) (Jimi: lv)
    I’ll Be Doggone
    Band Outro

26 December 1965 – Second Set – Band 1b (without Youngblood) 44 min

The Lovelights
    guitar: Jimi Hendrix
    guitar: Harry Jensen
    bass: Ace Hall
    drums: Ditto Edwards

Wooly Bully
    Money (That’s What I Want) (alt)
    Sweet Little Angel
    Driving South (instr)
    Baby What You Want Me To Do
    Stand By Me
    Let’s Go, Let’s Go, Let’s Go
    Day Tripper
    Bright Lights Big City) (Jimi: lv)
    Bleeding Heart) (Jimi: lv)
    Shotgun

22 January 1966 – First Set – Band 1c (with George Bragg) 40 min

The Lovelights (?)
    lead guitar: Jimi Hendrix
    rhythm guitar: Curtis Knight
    bass: Harry Jensen
    drums: George Bragg
    tambourine: Ace Hall

Killing Floor (Jimi: lv)
    Last Night (instr)
    Hang On Sloopy
    I’ll Be Doggone (alt)
    What’d I Say (Jimi: lv)
    Bo Diddley (medley)
    Hold (On To) What You’ve Got
    I’m A Man (alt) (Jimi: lv)
    I Can’t Help Myself
    One Night (With You)
    Travelin’ To California (alt) (Jimi: lv)

22 January 1966 – Second Set – Band 1c (with George Bragg) 40 min

The Lovelights (?)
    lead guitar: Jimi Hendrix
    rhythm guitar: Curtis Knight
    bass: Harry Jensen
    drums: George Bragg
    tambourine: Ace Hall

You Got What It Takes
    Land Of A Thousand Dances (Jimi: lv)
    Get Out Of My Life, Woman (Jimi: lv)
    Ain’t That Peculiar
    Mercy, Mercy
    Just A Little Bit
    Something You Got (Jimi: lv)
    (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
    Money (That’s What I Want)
    Come On – Part 1 (instr)

NOTES

1. Jimi has 6 lead vocals/instrumentals on 26 Dec and 10 on 22 Jan.

2. Why didn’t Curtis mention Youngblood in Band Outro? Maybe Curtis had given him a big guest intro and thanks when Lonnie had a ‘feature’ spot with his two vocal numbers in the middle of the set. Then later, Curtis would only mention the main band members who were going to return for the second set.

3. The Youngblood set would be first on the night because Curtis also says: ‘We're gonna take a short break but we'll be right back’ on Band Outro - with Youngblood just audible. Maybe Lonnie had another gig to go to.

4. The ATM sequencing may preserve some original order, and I have only changed it for specific reasons. For instance, I moved Killing Floor to bring the two Youngblood vocal numbers together, and I moved Shotgun to the end of it’s set because it sounds a more likely finishing number than Bleeding Heart. (And I’m pretty sure that is a false-start/retake of ‘I Got You’.)

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nartanamark For This Useful Post: