Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 'Official' "I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert" Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 4,040 Times in 348 Posts

The 'Official' "I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert" Thread

I thought this could be fun, entertaining and educative.

Found this thread on a totally unrelated site which brought about some seriously nice recollections:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=367218

I've already read recollections of seeing Jimi live right here on CTT, but thought this might be a nice 'central' thread for that kind of thing.

(PS I havent seen Jimi live because i'm too young - we dont really need lots of posts saying 'i was too young too' as thats not fun, entertaining nor educative, Thank you! - We can always make a 'Official first time i heard Jimi' thread)
    Last edited by johanincr; 05-12-08 at 12:54 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 754 Posts

Experience - 1

OK - Someone has to go 1st so I'll volunteer. I posted this here before. I guess all was lost during the 'face-lift' so here it is again :

My 1st post. I live in California and have been into Jimi Hendrix since the release of "Are You Experienced?" when in my early teens. For my 1st post I thought I would share with you all my first Jimi Hendrix concert experience. The 1st of many concerts I attended was his L.A. Forum gig in 1969. My parents gave in to my constant begging and drove me to the arena (too young to drive). They took in a local drive-in movie to wait out the show. I had my little cheapo Kodak Instamatic with me. Cat Mother And the All Night Newsboys came on first. Must have been a forgettable performance because I am unable to retreive the memory cells for this act. However, the next act, The Chicago Transit Authority, I recall fondly. A very good performance. Such that I became a fan all thru the Terry Kath years. At the time I never heard of them, but their cover of "I'm A Man" remains in memory. Also, they were so good I had decided to get as close to the stage as possible eventually getting to the very front row. Finally, it was time for Jimi. Oh, man! I was too close! The only thing I could hear was the guitar for the entire performance. Eventually the entire arena had wanted to get as close as possible and I and everyone around me were being pushed forward in a human wave. Finally we could go forward no more as we were now being crushed against the stage. Noel & Jimi were pleading to the crowd. Years later I bought a cd of this concert (it was part of a box set) and the pandemonium I have described is captured on it.

Here's a photo I took :

________
    - Marcos
    **** "Watch Out For Your Ears!" ****

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 94 Posts

Re: The 'Official' "I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert" Thread

Great pic Mourningstar, did you by any chance take some more photos?
    The quality isn't important.
    They don't necessary need to be as nice as this one....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emilovious For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^
    Yeah, I think I have two more and one of CTA playin' hide-n-seek around here somewhere -

Thanks

Great LA Forum '69 shot. Any chance of posting a larger version of it?

I saw the Toronto May 3/69 show and will post my recollection of the show plus some rare photos that I have from it in a day or two.

Bob

9. The Following User Says Thank You to relliott For This Useful Post:

Thanks

GOOD MORNING ALL. I'm going out of town with my kid for 3 days (camping on a rainy beach with Cub Scouts-joy) But as I began to get ready this morning to go and hoping BIG TIME our site would go back up (I have a KILLER CD for ya).
    I realized that this morning, just about this time, THIRTY EIGHT YEARS AGO-TODAY I was standing, 2nd in line at the main doors at Temple Stadium to see my mentor, Mr. Jimi Hendrix. I am running out so I don't know how much I will be able to get down here. As u all know I'm a "story teller" and dearly hope not to bore or offend. But I've never "spoken" this B4 & my old buds are long gone. I'm going to have to make this 2 parts. I was 15 years old and was punished by my dad in 1968 when Jimi played the Factory (13 yrs old) and in 1969 when he played the Spectrum (1st time Mitch used a double set). By 1970 I realized my dad was just a man who liked to say "No" & I should never have listened to him (regarding the shows). On May 16th 1970, I did not listen . . .
    I had smoked dope twice and had never taken hallucinogens . . . . . . until 38 yrs ago today - Geeez. An interesting story. Suffice it to say, the 2 camera film rolls I bought ended up on 3 kids heads-as headbands *sob*
    When we finally stormed in, we made ourselves comfortable, outside on the grass, and there was this guy who will remain anonymous [Joe] who kept crossing our paths every 15 mins or so . . . . HUGE grin, long hair, imported straight from Woodstock. Tripping his brains out. I was with my beast friends, the 2 Jeff's and we were all part of the "movement" from our quaint little houses in Cherry Hill NJ . . . . We were very young indeed.
    I personally had my bags packed for the west coast twice, but never made it out the door, and the culture was all I ever felt, socially, in school, in my MUSIC. And Jimi, following the Beatles was my spiritual guide . . . .
    So anyway, 1st band-some 3 piece jug band came on & did their thing, like intermission music (no offense). During this act, "Joe" stopped and said Hey man! to us made small talk & asked if we wanted to buy some Mescaline. He had me at "Hey man . . ."
    We asked "How much?" (I'll skip the " 's from here on out). Well, it's 2 way man. $2.00 a hit. I must have looked confused cause he said, You know what 2 way is, don't you? Of COURSE I do . . (I had NO idea, but didn't want to appear stupid) I really just wanted to be removed from my parents world just then - even if only for 1 day (but it changed my entire life-that 1 day). He knew I was lying. Dude, you break it in half & split it between 2 people. There were 3 of us. 4 bucks. We all nodded. I said Give me 2. Joe's smile was maniacal by that point. I had never smiled like that B4 . . . What kind of inner feeling could bring on such a beautiful expression? I nervously reached into my pocket for a fiver and he stopped me. Woah dood ! ! Don't pay me now! What do you mean? I asked. He said, Listen, try it. If you like it, pay me then. So, of course I ask, How will you know? A HUGE grin rips across his face HA HA HA HA HA ! ! ! Don't worry man - I'LL KNOW HA HA HA HA ! ! ! ! We thank him & he went off to make the rounds. I believe the 2 Jeff's would never had done this had it not been for my feelings regarding this. We're standing there & I break a tab in 2 & hand it over. I broke the other & slipped the xtra half in my pocket. We held the halves up to each other and made a toast to our futures. I said, have an illuminating life my friends. May you both get what u want from life. Don't waste it. Death is forever. We took the tabs & had a 3 way group hug. They were setting up for "Jam Factory" (their one solo LP on Epic) That band was FANTASTIC. Like a funky Chicago (Horns). I bought the LP the next week . . . We were having tons of fun, but it was still me . . . As JF was in the middle of their set (25 mins had passed) My hair was on end-waiting I was such an idiot. I felt like a million years had passed and NOTHING! Except maybe a giggle-or 2 . . I'm saying to myself "This is it? This is what everybody's freaking out about?" So I look up at the sky, reach into my pocket and silently dropped the other half. (Moron) As I chewed it to a pulp & swallowed, I got off from the 1st half. . . JF closed down & CACTUS came on. Remember them? Carmine Appice/Jim McCarty? Well, after a brief "reality adjustment" everything became sublime and we decided to go for a walk & mingle. That's when I wandered to the sound board & chatted with the sound guy who promised, when I asked him to save some power for Jimi, there was plenty of power left. I never really "let it go" that entire day & was always in touch with myself and it was a very beautiful day indeed. I told the sound guy I was tripping, wish I wasn't for that moment & he had a bit of compassion, knowing I wanted to talk about the sound, the equipment and Jimi Hendrix and so we sat for about 30-45 mins & rapped. He showed & taught me everything he knew while tweaking that sorry system. He even changed levels for me to see if I heard the difference coming off the stage. Way Cool. There WAS a cassette machine there & it never ever dawned on me to ask . . . Which is a horrible shame, because when it came right down to it, regardless of what Steve Miller said (who went on just B4 JH & claimed JH smelled bad, was in a horrible frame of mind & looked out of it) Temple was one of the best shows I actually recall in that last year. Hendrix's Machine Gun, Red House & a rare JBG were absolutely inspired. And the surviving tape is pretty bad. I still listen to it once a week :-)
    I'm going to have to cut this short in a minute & get ready to split.
    When we got back to our seats, Cactus was over & they were setting up for The Grateful Dead. Every half hour or so, "Joe" remember Joe? would ramble by. If I was on 1 hit, this guy was on 4. One last time B4 I forgot about him, business-wise, I asked him if he wanted his $4.00. He almost remembered me and jumped. Did u like it???? I nodded and said, Yes, very much. He said Well, I know it's your 1st time. It's a gift my friend. We hugged each other around our heads & he moved on.
    I was never really a Dead-Head, as all my other friends were, and I was always on overload with them, always hearing enough of them when my friends played them. Still St. Stephen, Box of Rain & lots from Working Man's Dead are among my favorite pieces. I just didn't get it. I was dissecting 3rd Stone From the Sun & the Dead were just from that "other place". I'm trying not to offend here, so let me move on. They played for about 1 1/2 hrs & lo & behold it began to pour. LITTLE WOODSTOCK. I was tripping so heavily by this point, nothing in my life mattered except one thing WHERE WAS JIMI HENDRIX? The stagehands set up tarps on stage for what seemed like about an hour while we waited for the rain to stop. That's when one of the Jeff's dissected my camera and wrapped the film I was saving around his head. I put my head in my hands & had my 1st bad experience of the day. When the rain stopped, I expected "whoever" was coming on next to hurry & let Hendrix play.
    Ladies & gentlemen: The Grateful Dead were back. They played for about 2 hours more, I believe, while I twirled my fingers in the mud. I just felt like they were never ever going to stop. Like I had died and this was never going to leave. I'm grinning widely as I type this, remembering this day so many years ago. How stupid and "green" I was. Had Temple just been a regular concert (opening act & headliner) this day would have never unfolded as it did. But this was BIG. And most of it was very cool. I just never had a taste for the Dead ever again after this day. Though I admit, a friend made me listen to the 15 min Terrapin Sta. last year & I'm very fond of it. So, it's getting dark, the skies are now clear & the stars are coming out. A beautiful night, and they introduce Steve Miller. The "Sailor" Steve Miller. The original band. I was starting to come down a bit and they were WONDERFUL! I remember this story he did about this Humming Bee, A girl HB & a boy HB :-) and they did Livin in the USA & ALL the toons that band was known for & I felt wonderful. But where was Hendrix? . . . .
    I feel stupid leaving now but I must. And besides I'm probably at my limit.
    If this has just been a bore, let me know. But the very best is yet to come.
    I've never spoken of this day to anybody so this is an extraordinary experience for me. If it's boring you guys, please let me know. I'll try to finish up in a couple hours B4 I go. I'm going to post this "episode"
    and then sit for a moment of silence in reverence for this man who changed EVERYTHING. It's staggering how everything changed not only when the 1st notes of Purple Haze oozed out of my table radio that day in late 1966 but the connection is sooo strong I'm at a loss how to describe in words what happened. But it's ALL GOOD! And I'm so sad he is no longer with us & as lucky as we are to have what he left us. A gift. An absolute. I always felt there was no such thing.
    I'll get on in a bit if I can to finish. I am so rambling. And I'm sorry.
    Peace my friends - Steve
    Yeah-I was out there. Maybe some of you were also?
    I'm going to try a pic here & see if it works
    Last edited by Steev; 10-10-08 at 09:31 PM.
    Just below the surface of our everyday world lie riches . . .

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steev For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pic didn't work-Shit-Another try . . . .
    http://steev.pictiger.com/images/15238568/

Again, a big NO.
    I thought I did what u guys told me to do. Gotta go.
    Peace Light and MUSIC!
    Last edited by Steev; 05-16-08 at 10:44 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Steev For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Stanks for the post Steev, not boring at all but slightly frustrating...
    To stop right before Jimi's appearance!?
    You better hurry and finish the story or I'll be really p...ed at you...lol - (joke)

Thanks

^
    ditto! -

Thanks

Since Steev has no intention to continue his story (was the trip "peaking" right during the Jimi's set?) and nobody else wants to share "point blank range" Jimi experience, here's another eyewitness story from an old "The Gear Page" thread about Jimi:

I WAS THERE TOO!!!!

I saw Hendrix several times in concert, but the first time may have been the most incredible musical 'experience' I had in the 60s.

One day we got a strange phone call from a musician friend in Windsor, Ontario - we lived in Hamilton, Ontario. He insisted that we had to come to Windsor right away, because there was a band that was going to play that weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan (across the border). He said we were going to be completely and totally blown away because the guitarist was better than Clapton. We gasped! How could this be possible? Who could it be? He said he had an album from England that wasnít even released yet in the US.

Intrigued, a group of us went down to Windsor and I remember when we all first heard the albumÖ Are You Experienced, by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. We were stunned and shocked. We had never heard music or guitar playing like that before. Where did this guy come from? This is who weíre going to hear? Imagine our anticipation.

So we went to the club in Ann Arbor that Saturday night. Just a small club and a hundred people at most. I stood right in front of the 2' high stage, literally within armís reach of Jimi and watched the whole set at point blank range. He played so incredibly well that night that we were utterly devastated. We hid in the bathroom (poor, starving musicians) to stay for the second show and it was just as good as the first....

...In fact, during the last song, he smashed his amp (Marshall stack) and guitar (white Fender Strat), and during the frenzy, I got his guitar strap, which I used proudly on my gigs as a badge of honor for years to come. I gave the strap away in 1971 to a good friend, but he canít remember who he gave it to (40 lashes).

On the drive home from the club, we were like a car full of vegetables. There was dead silence. We didnít know what to say. We were in a stupor. It was overwhelming to say the least. I learned many years later while reading a coffee book by Noel Redding that Hendrix had just been kicked off the Monkees tour and they were languishing in New York, when the call for this gig came through. Lucky for us. In the book, he couldnít remember if it was Detroit or Ann Arbor. I remember vividly.

Well, needless to say, as soon as Are You Experienced came out in North America, we were the first band to play a collection of Hendrix tunes. Being the good copycat that I was, and having had the benefit of direct close up observation (he used a black Fuzz Face), I was able to faithfully recreate some of the sonic magic that is embodied in Hendrixís music and guitar playing (yes, I even played with my teeth) Ė what to speak of wearing his guitar strap while doing it Ė big time mojo!
    Last edited by Emilovious; 05-20-08 at 09:23 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emilovious For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Great stories here! I saw Jimi 4 times, and yet I was only 16 years old when he died. I was at the L.A. Forum in 69 and 70. Newport 69 (Friday night) and Ventura County Fairgrounds 70. The closest I got was about 8 rows back at Ventura. The best shows were at the Forum but my seats weren't too good. In fact I spent most of those shows dodging toga wearing Forum employees who kept trying to send me back to my nosebleed seats.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    ... I was at the L.A. Forum in 69 and 70. Newport 69 (Friday night) ...
    Hi RS - I was at these as well. Cool to come across someone who shared the same earth time & space. I would love to hear more. For example :

At the 69 Forum show, like I mentioned above, as I was getting crushed up against the stage the show was delayed somewhat during this 'crisis'. What was your take/reaction?

At Newport 69 (I went to Sunday's too, btw), this performance has widely been reviewed as quite negative. I have to disagree. I thought it was a great show for as late as it happened. True, Jimi got pissed but he had good reason to, seeing as how a bunch of jerks up near the stage were behaving like ..."jerks". We had a great time, but it was a long day and, like Jimi, were glad when it was finished.

At the 70 Forum it's been reported that there was a large closed-circuit big-screen. I did not see it. Did you?

Thanks

Smile Re: The 'Official' "I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert" Thread

EMIL - That is Sooooo unkind - And Unfair. I was out of town. Now I might NEVER finish it
    Roland & Mourningstar - I sooooooooooooooo Envy you both! And I was only 15 when he passed. . .
    Had I listened to my father, I might NEVER have seen him.
    Had I NOT listened I'd have seen him 2 more times.
    You live & learn my friends . . . .
    I'll finish my "anti-climactic" story tonite.
    Yes Emil - I was tripping my brains out and very very upset to be doing so on this particular night.
    But I made up PLENTY for it afterwards ! ! ! I'll show me
    Back later all - That does mean Peace - Not this . . . . .
    Last edited by Steev; 05-21-08 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks

C'mon Steev, can't you see how anxious I am to hear the end of the story?

Considering the other half you dropped thinking you're not experiencing anything,
    same thing happened to me when I was about the same age as you were,
    but I wasn't "dropping" halfs, but whole acids....so after 6 or 7 hours of the best time in my life, 2 or 3 hours of total paranoia finally came a total black-out (!!) but about that in detail some other time and another thread (site?)...
    So to tell you the truth that why I'm so impatient to hear the rest of the story because concert I've heard that evening was still the best one in my life even it was played by a street musician on Amsterdam's Leidseplain (!!??). So I'd really like to hear what impressions on you must have left one Jimi Hendrix!
    Last edited by Emilovious; 05-22-08 at 05:15 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,040 Times in 348 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emilovious View Post
    Amsterdam's Leidseplain (!!??).
    Leidseplein - Ha! Even i played there once in the streets :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 78 Posts

IT WAS 40 YEARS AGO TODAY

Milano, 23rd May 1968

Milano, 23rd May 2008

40 years ago I was almost ten years old, obiouvsly too young to attend at the concert but I found this testimony of a unlucky kid who didn't saw the concert but was lucky enough to see Jimi that afternoon. I'm going to post it as I found it so don't care about some mistakes. 40 years are passed and this is the history of the cancelled afternoon concert

Jimy Hendrix in Milan. Itís one o clock in the afternoon itís warm I go out of house and run towards the metro: I go to see Jimy! In the Parco Sempione Jimy play to the Piper I am excited: I arrive I find at two much people boys and girls miniskirts dizzy fard and borchie of everything a littleí within and appearance in foots before the stage to a ten meters from the platform. To two and half hour announce: there will be delay because the tools of Jimy are stopped in Switerland in Montreaux where were dismantled to see if inside there is some drug. Ridiculous: they did first to search the boxes of amphetamines to see ifíwere within the amplifiers! It goes the time plays Wess with the Airedales then a young guitarist white imitator of the Jeff Beckís guitar slide. Jimy not not arrived itís warm we are pressed like sardines. At a certain point arrive a man with jacket of skin arrives black skin jaket borchie everywhere pushes like a damned and it is done road to arrive the platform. I Ďm very nervous and I tell him something not memory what. He it is turned and me show a young girl small small handicapped that holds for hand and search of to carry under platform to see something. I understand and I do myself aside. It arrives finally Jimy and says that has not the amplifiers and cannot play: without its Marshall he refuse to perform He had a green shirt darkness with flowers and a hat seems me but who knows much years are passed: TO a certain point Iím really tired are the six of evening and thet say that who wants can have repaid the price of the tikets. I decide to go, not for other: there is the final of Futfall Europe Cup Milan Norkopping and I donít want to lose it. We win three to one Schiaffino marks of neck of foot to the flight from outside area. Who Schiafino is it some young will say it was expensive soccer boys that you not even ve be able to imagine it: someone yourselves ever talked about a certain Rahn? German 1952 or down of there that was soccer. : It Goes well so Jimy play, I am at home before the tv is better so if líhad seen too much emotions: He Jimy went in paradise from some time and up there play for the angels and sometimes also for Lucifer that it is approached and offers his ear The Angels leave to do it : itísí all right so.

http://www.lanzani.com/jimy_in_milan.htm

The same history from another point of view

Daniela Cohen

"Jimi checked in (Hotel Windsor) and went straight to bed. Jimi arrived a couple of hour before in Malpensa from Miami and he was tired.
    I stayed behind in the hotel reception area. Whilst there I saw the owner of the "piper Club" Leo Waester, his eyes were bulging from his head and he was saying that in the order to save his own skin and for reason of public order he had to take him to the venue so that the kids could see Jimi .
    The kids were suspicious that Jimi had not arrived just as the equipment had not arrived. I had to wake him up and explain everything to Jimi.
    This situation annoyed him somewhat, having to wake up after only a couple of hours of sleep.
    He couldn't understand why he had to go to the club only to return a few hours later to play. I convinced Jimi that he should go so that the public could see him.

on the way to Piper Club

Continue
    Last edited by voodoo_child58; 05-22-08 at 03:55 PM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to voodoo_child58 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 78 Posts

Daniela Cohen
    "The scene that I witnessed at the "Piper Club" was apocalyptic! The organizers were unable to convince the ticket holder for the first concert that it had been cancelled (due to the late arrival of the equipment for custom controls) and that they should present themselves outside the concert venue for reimbursement, the organisers had feared that once the ticket holders were inside the venue they would refuse to leave so they were forced to accept them along with the second concert ticket holders for the evening performance.

Jimi on show for the public of the afternoon concert

The interview with Daniela Cohen is from "Univibes" May 1994 Issue 14

For Jimi Malpensa arrival and a funny story when Jimi came back to the Windsor Hotel after he showed up at the Pipers

http://http://www.electricskychurch....php?f=9&t=2139

http://http://www.electricskychurch....php?f=9&t=2155
    Last edited by voodoo_child58; 05-22-08 at 04:22 PM.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to voodoo_child58 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks everybody for your stories, is really good to read them !!

Steev: Please give to us the second part, is like reading Jack Kerouak, I enjoyed a lot..

29. The Following User Says Thank You to pancho1111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

WOW! Roberto, wonderful stories and pics!
    Thanks a lot!
    Beautiful and interesting!

Thanks

Not my story but I found it and had to share it somewhere...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/ente...i_hendrix.html

A while back, local jazz bassist Slim Manicotti sent out an email blast. In it, he casually mentioned the time he met Jimi Hendrix.
    Yesterday, I emailed him back and asked him to tell me the story.
    Here it is ...
    From Slim:
    In May, 1969, I was first in line at the Hendrix concert at the Baltimore Civic Center. I told my friend (Jeff Thorsell, the light guy for my band) that I was walking right on stage. I did, he followed.

I went backstage and Mitch Mitchell asked me to hold a flashlight while he fixed his bass drum pedal. Then, I went to one side of the stage, and my friend went to the other.

I was watching the opening band, Cactus, when I felt a nudge on my shoulder. It was Jimi Hendrix. He mentioned that he thought the guitar player with Cactus was good. We stood side by side, watching Cactus for a while. Hendrix did most of the talking.

Then Cactus finished their set, and Hendrix came out. I watched the whole show from side, backstage.
    Incredible.

I think it was around that point that I gave up guitar and took up the bass.

And the next week I went to Merriweather and saw Led Zeppelin open up for The Who.

I was on my way...

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kcox5342 For This Useful Post: