Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 'Official' "I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert" Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,560 Times in 546 Posts

Re: The 'Official' "I saw Jimi Hendrix in concert" Thread

I was contacted by a guy called Alan who saw Jimi at the Saville and even met him at Chas's appartment ! Here are his (short) memories.

Alan : I saw Jimi play at the Saville Theatre in London...I don't know if it was planned, but he played alone first, then as the Experience....I remember being blown away in both sections.
    I worked with a black guy named Ray Owen, who was in Juicy Lucy for a while. He had aspirations as a song writer. I don't know how, but he was invited to drop a tape off at Chas Chandlers flat, which Jimi also lived at. The flat was near Marble Arch in Central London.
    Jimi was playing the board game "Risk" with Chas & I presume Chas's wife or girlfriend. The thing that sticks in my mind is this. Jimi had bare feet & his toenails were painted bright green. He was very down to Earth & normal, no attitude...He accepted the tape and we left. On the way out we passed Jimi's bedroom, I remember a large rug, or fabric fixed to the wall above his bed.
    Nothing happened with the tape...It was returned later. We never went back.

PJ : At the Saville, you said that Jimi played alone at first. Do you remember what he played and for how long ? Do you remember the date, month ?

Alan : I truly don't remember...It was electric guitar for sure and quite explosive, not just simple playing. I feel like the band where on stage, but perhaps not fully ready, so Jimi "took over" and made a huge opening impact on his own...Supreme confidence & ability of course..A true Rockstar!

Also, Alan has a print proof of the abandoned US "Smash Hits" cover with the band on horseback. It's for sale if anyone is interested (contact me by personnal message).
    Last edited by purple jim; 06-26-09 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Great stories here! I saw Jimi 4 times, and yet I was only 16 years old when he died. I was at the L.A. Forum in 69 and 70. Newport 69 (Friday night) and Ventura County Fairgrounds 70. The closest I got was about 8 rows back at Ventura. The best shows were at the Forum but my seats weren't too good. In fact I spent most of those shows dodging toga wearing Forum employees who kept trying to send me back to my nosebleed seats.
    Roland, what was the story at Ventura 6/21/70? I heard it was cut short after 45 minutes because of fog????? Any memories of it? Setlist?

You still around? I know your post is 2 years old but I hope you see this.
    Last edited by Chas J.; 06-03-10 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks

I'm the 'new' generation, but from the descriptions and accounts, it sounds like it wasn't a concert, but a "Experience" indeed.
    Sheer volume, incredible musicianship.
    Would have sure been incredible to experience it, but alas things happen for a reason..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chas J. View Post
    Roland, what was the story at Ventura 6/21/70? I heard it was cut short after 45 minutes because of fog????? Any memories of it? Setlist?

You still around? I know your post is 2 years old but I hope you see this.
    I've written about this show in detail before. No time to write tonight, but if I can't find a link to my previous review, I'll post again.

Thanks

Hi friends,
    my Hendrix encounter was published in Univibes a while ago, here are those two pages:

Thanks

[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by relliott View Post
    Great LA Forum '69 shot. Any chance of posting a larger version of it?

I saw the Toronto May 3/69 show and will post my recollection of the show plus some rare photos that I have from it in a day or two.

Bob
    Hey Bob, this is my first post. I am from Toronto and was only 2.5 years old when Jimi played Maple Leaf Gardens in '69. Would love to hear your view of it. I cant find it. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxine1967 View Post
    Hey Bob, this is my first post. I am from Toronto and was only 2.5 years old when Jimi played Maple Leaf Gardens in '69. Would love to hear your view of it. I cant find it. Thanks.
    Well I guess you can be forgiven for not insisting your parents take you to the show! I was only 16 when Jimi died, but I'd already seen him live four times!
    The first time was L.A. Forum 1969. I convinced my Mom to drive me to the show (about 20 miles away in a bad part of town) and let me "find a ride" home! Those were more innocent times when hitch hiking was in vogue.

The next time was Newport 69. I was officially grounded that night, but I literally climbed out my bedroom window where some friends picked me up and drove me to the show. I caught holy hell when I arrived back home that night. Wish i could say it was worth it, but that Friday night show kind of sucked. Still if I'd only known Jimi was returning Sunday afternoon I would have snuck out again!

The next time was Forum 70 and the last time was Ventura 70. All before my 17th birthday! And I really didn't even discover Jimi until Summer 68. So four times in a two year window wasn't bad. Only wish I'd known about him earlier or I might have tried to go to the Hollywood Bowl or the Shrine shows.

Thanks

Where is the strap? I need one.. vintage sort of!

Great story!!

PP

Thanks

Jan. 16?, 1969 Nurnburg (I got Albert King to autograph the back)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    Jan. 16?, 1969 Nurnburg (I got Albert King to autograph the back)
    very cool - looks like Noel has a strat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi_Uchihaeyez View Post
    very cool - looks like Noel has a strat
    That's a Fender Jazz Bass, and a purple Sgt. Pepper t-shirt.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,173 Times in 201 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    ... I remember when I left the arena and went outside there were thousands of people lined up against the outside arena walls. I asked one a girl 'what are all these people doing here?'. She said 'we did not have tickets so everyone was listening to the concert thru the walls.' I said 'far-out!' and proceeded to look for my parents at the designated meeting area.
    oh man, the things I forget until something comes along and rattles loose from the cobwebs a few memory cells. My sister and I were talking recently (she's 4 years younger than me) and somehow the conversation came up regarding that Saturday night. As mentioned, my parents drove me to the show and I recall now that she and our cousin (she was 2 years younger than me) came along. Of course they did, for they could not leave them alone at home. Apparently we had agreed on a after concert meeting place and they arrived about 30 minutes before the end of the concert. I don't know how they talked my parents into leaving the car to go and wait for me at one of the exits but they did. Not only that, but they somehow talked one of the security people to let them in and they were able to watch the last 20 minutes of the concert. Unfortunately, though they have bragging rights to truthfully declare they witnessed Hendrix, neither one ever made the transition into 'our world'.
    *** WATCH OUT FOR YOUR EARS !***

“We don’t want to be classed in any category.” -Jimi Hendrix

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My second (of three) Hendrix concerts was at the Berkeley Community Theater (1st show). A few years back, my concert recollections were made into a cartoon which can be found here: http://jorff.com/rock/JHBerkeley.html

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lostarchives For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok, I promised a Ventura 70 recap so here goes. A few friends and I drove up from L.A. to the Ventura County Fairgrounds. We got there a little early and the gates were still closed with a growing crowd massing behind them. The gates opened onto some kind of a track, and it was literally a mad 100 yard dash to get to the seating area and vie for the best seats. I ended up sitting with my friends about 8 rows back from the stage. At the time I was quite pleased with the seats, but now, in retrospect, I regret not leaving my group and finding a single seat even closer.

After an opening set from a local group "Ballin' Jack", Jimi came out in a resplendent purple velvet cape. (A few years ago I was thrilled to see that same cape on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.) I still remember Jimi's first words "Tonight we're going to make up for San Bernardino". Apparently the previous night's show in San Bernardino had been cut short by rioting. But Jimi seemed in a good mood and wanted to make things right.
    I think he began with "Spanish Castle Magic" and then went into "Fire" and he was in splendid form. I especially remember that his singing voice was extraordinary that night, particularly on "Red House". But then things began to go very wrong.

A dense cold wet pea-soup fog rolled in from the nearby beach, across the audience and onto the stage and it played havoc with the electronics and with Jimi's tuning. A young stage hand in a "Salzer Music" T-shirt foolishly walked out onto the stage between songs to try and deal with the technical difficulties. (The show was put on by Jim Salzer who had promoted Hendrix in Santa Barbara a year or two earlier.) The stage hand bent down to adjust some wiring near Jimi's mic and Jimi became furious! Jimi let loose with a stream of ranting invective which was both awesome and horrific because he only mouthed the curses while doing an amazing "talking guitar" display. The poor hapless stage hand had to endure a string of divebombs and "muthafucka"'s coming from Jimi's guitar! It was as if Zeus himself was unleashing thunderbolts on him! As I witnessed that incredible display I somehow knew that Jimi was deeply unhappy, that he had grown too big for this mortal coil and that he was not long for this earth! The show was all downhill from there. The fog got worse and the show was cut short with a brief VC(SR), no encore, and that was the last time I ever saw The Man.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just got off the phone with the buddy of mine who accompanied me to the Ventura 70 show. His recollections track mine very closely with just a few exceptions. He insists we were closer than 8 rows back. More like 2 or 3 rows back, and that the only reason we didn't get closer was because we wanted to sit directly in front of Jimi instead of being off to the side.

And he says that Ballin'Jack, although billed, did NOT open for Jimi. The inclement weather caused Jimi to go on FIRST and then after a set that lasted 45 min or less, Ballin'Jack had to follow Jimi but we didn't stay for that! (Did anybody?) Besides SCM, Fire and RH, he remembers Jimi also playing Foxy Lady, Message to Love and was just getting into Machine Gun when the fog rolled in and ruined what had been a great show up to that. That's when the incident with the stagehand occured. My buddy lives in Ventura now. He says that Jim Salzer still has a music store in town. He said he will stop in and ask Jim Salzer for his recollections of the show.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Roland,

It just sucks so much that those gigs were not recorded/filmed properly. To my ears judging from what little sonic evidence we have, San Berdoo, Baltimore, etc. Jimi was kicking some major ass that around that time. IMO at the top of his game guitar playing-wise.

Thanks

Is there anyone still there who saw jimi perform that incredible performance of machine gun with the band of gypsys, or even a link to audience comments after witnessing it, be pretty interesting to read

Thanks

Try this one from Billo58 for a review of the show on the 1st http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/sho...8192#post38192

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Experiencereunited For This Useful Post: