Thread: Jiim Hendrix Experience / Otis Redding ... Music from the soundtrack of Monterey Pop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 485 Posts

Jiim Hendrix Experience / Otis Redding ... Music from the soundtrack of Monterey Pop

As the Billboard ad says "at last " (on vinyl).
    Jimi's historic June 18 1967 " US debut " performance at Monterey captured on vinyl and it also served as a soundtrack for the film .

One side of music for each.

Released in US/Canada by Reprise Records September 1970. It topped out at #16 on the BB charts.

Released on Atlantic Records outside US .(I'd guess this was mutually agreed upon by the labels because Otis recorded for Atlantic owned Atco Records at the time thereby splitting the world between Reprise and Atlantic for distribution.)Not released in UK.

Shown is Capitol Record Club pressing with unique label/number and white border on cover and examples of the covers.Says Mfg by Capitol right above stereo on label.Note: hard to find black label Canadian issue

Released with 2 different covers .The "poster" cover used in France and little used in US as a first issue and record club press and the better known grey "film " cover with thumbnail photos of Otis and Jimi from the motion picture.

Also shown is seldom seen Reprise 7" 1 minute Radio spot to promote the album to radio.Sent on vinyl not the usual small reel to reel.

Recorded by legendary live engineer Wally Heider on 8 track 1" tape.

Also shown is a wierd issue from Norway (I believe) w/ Polydor sticker over a Reprise label.
    Can anyone help with this . I have a theory but would welcome any input on this
    Last edited by billo528; 04-24-16 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

Re: Jiim Hendrix Experience / Otis Redding ... Music from the soundtrack of Monterey

We can suppose that Jimi chose the songs to be on this album, no?
    If the record company had handled that, they would surely have put on "Purple Haze", "Foxy Lady", "Hey Joe",...

Thanks

Re: Jiim Hendrix Experience / Otis Redding ... Music from the soundtrack of Monterey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red House View Post
    Not sure they will stay put. You can add then to the site via your gallery or....................
    Select Go Advanced
    Manage attachments

Follow that route as it is a simple process but as I say, how long they remain here I don't know.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Not sure they will stay put. You can add then to the site via your gallery or....................
    Select Go Advanced
    Manage attachments

Follow that route as it is a simple process but as I say, how long they remain here I don't know.
    I'm referring to Billo's photos. They don't show up for me.