Thread: Faye Pridgeon New York magazine interview 1973

Thanks
    Thanked 1,599 Times in 603 Posts

Faye Pridgeon New York magazine interview 1973

New York Magazine 16 July 1973

Litho-Fayne Pridgon undoubtedly needs an introduction. She was born in the section of Moultrie, Georgia, known as Dirty Spoon. It wasn't black or white—just poor. She picked cotton. She moved to New York. She shacked up with Jimi Hendrix for four years in the mid-sixties. One night he caught her accepting "a peck on the jaw" from another man in the front row of the club he was playing on 76th Street and Broadway. He leaned over the stage in mid-song and, without missing a chord, knocked her out cold with his electric guitar. After that they only saw each other from time to time. Then in 1970, Hendrix, aged 27, choked to death on his own vomit. Litho-Fayne went out to the coast for a while with Sly, of the Family Stone. And between times she was kept, in style, by an AC/DC ex-Harlem-dope-hustler-turned-legit who needed a fly front. (That's AC/DC as in sexual orientation; fly, pronounced "flah," as in Super Fly.) She had her own ten-room apartment at 1274 Fifth Avenue, a car, furs, and jewelry. But this June, on her way down to Muscle Shoals, Alabama, to record her first blues album, and perhaps on her way to stardom, she had a studio apartment with no phone, courtesy of Atlantic Rec­ords, and some food stamps, courtesy of the New York City Social Services Department. Warner Bros, had paid her for her part in the forthcoming Hendrix documentary, but she had blown that money at the tables in Las Vegas. At­lantic Records had given her a $700 stereo, but she had pawned it for $125.
    No matter: by next year at this time Litho-Fayne Pridgon could be a star.
    Bill Buckley, Mick Jagger, Jack Javits, the Engelhards, the Dohenys, and Litho-Fayne Pridgon—along with perhaps a thousand other present, past, and future"prominent people"—have one thing in common (and maybe only one): they are all friends of Ahmet Ertegun.
    [...]
    So what was a gentleman-superstar like this doing recently at a Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, personally producing the first album of an unknown singer named Litho-Fayne Pridgon? Why wasn't he at The Four Seasons or "21" hyping the stock of his parent company, Warner Communications, which had fallen from $39 earlier this year to $13? After all, he owns more than 150,000 shares of the stock (which, he says, represents about 60 per cent of his net worth), and thus is down nearly $4 mil­lion on the year. Ahmet Ertegun was in Muscle Shoals recording Litho-Fayne because he digs the blues, man.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Faye Pridgeon New York magazine interview 1973

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd
    One night he caught her accepting "a peck on the jaw" from another man in the front row of the club he was playing on 76th Street and Broadway. He leaned over the stage in mid-song and, without missing a chord, knocked her out cold with his electric guitar.
    Wonder how much truth this holds.

Thanks for this for this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dolly Dagger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^
    As usual anything Hendrix should be taken with a large grain of salt;-)
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Cool.
    Wonder what happened to Fayne's blues album?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't know about a lot of what was written in this article, but I know this....

Litho-Fayne went out to the coast for a while with Sly, of the Family Stone.
    True
    she was kept, in style, by an AC/DC ex-Harlem-dope-hustler-turned-legit who needed a fly front.
    True, up until not that many years ago actually (this fellow was her husband of 30+ years, he's since passed away)
    Ahmet Ertegun.....personally producing the first album of an unknown singer named Litho-Fayne Pridgon....Ahmet Ertegun was in Muscle Shoals recording Litho-Fayne....
    True

The tapes are still with her.
    She's been looking for the right deal and a fair deal for the tracks and she's been looking for a fair book offer for many years now.
    Fayne is a class act, all the way.
    Hope we all get to see and hear both the book and the record, sooner rather then later.
    Souldog
    Last edited by souldoggie; 03-21-11 at 09:10 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to souldoggie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by souldoggie View Post
    I don't know about a lot of what was written in this article, but I know this....
    Thanks for the info sd, let's hope she gets her deal. She's certainly the one next to Devon (we missed that though) I'd like to hear from, music too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool Re: Faye Pridgeon New York magazine interview 1973

Thanks for the info Soul Doggie...glad to hear Fay is still with us considering she was older than Jimi I always wondered if she was still alive or not. I hope we hear from her soon it would be very interesting. I always remember watching her section of the Hendrix film when I was about 12, I looked round and found my Dad frozen in the middle of the room I was bit worried he was having a stroke or something, I said..' you alright Dad?' He said." my God.. what a very good looking woman..." Lol!!!

Its is a great pity Devon died when she did and there was never an interview with her, apart from Rags Magazine where a lot of was about Mick Jagger yawn..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pali Gap View Post
    He said." my God.. what a very good looking woman..."
    That was just an excuse, he wasn't just interested in her physical appearance;-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    That was just an excuse, he wasn't just interested in her physical appearance;-)

oh yes I know ..but lets not go there!

I always really dug Fay for her intelligence and sassy personality...
    I also think women in the 60's had a very different presence than they do now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pali Gap View Post
    oh yes I know ..but lets not go there!

I always really dug Fay for her intelligence and sassy personality...
    I also think women in the 60's had a very different presence than they do now.
    Whenever, if "educated" (ie 'aware') they have always kicked ass. "Education" is now just more widespread, much to the male "establishment"'s chagrin (especially the religious death cults, Islam being number 1 culprit here, although initially being the cult that gave women the fundamental rights of life, education, the right to divorce for whatever reason, and independant inheritance/management/ownership of their property/business , almost totally ignored today by most moslem f'wits)
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-04-11 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks

[QUOTE=stplsd;50514]Whenever, if "educated" (ie 'aware') they have always kicked ass. (/QUOTE]

Thank you stplsd..of course this goes right back to when Boudicca kicked some Roman ass!....No..I was reflecting more on the times and how women then presented their personas even though Fay Pridgeon is not typical Californian type hippy..I remember one of my aunts was young in the late 60's, a hippy (she remained unconventional all her life) she was incredibly nice.. one of my few older relatives that wasnt patronising and spoke to me as a total complete equal...Its hard to explain but I think they had very different attitudes then and were far cooler in many ways..

Thanks

In Johnny Black's book "Ultimate Experience" she is quoted as saying that Hendrix slept with his guitar and when she went to take it away from him in bed he would get mad. She said in the morning he would sling the guitar on his back and cook eggs in the kitchen like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cool9 View Post
    In Johnny Black's book "Ultimate Experience" she is quoted as saying that Hendrix slept with his guitar and when she went to take it away from him in bed he would get mad. She said in the morning he would sling the guitar on his back and cook eggs in the kitchen like that.
    also in Black's book Fayne describes when Jimi was playing uptown he played at this one place where this one particular group of people liked Jimi so much, they used to buy them drinks every night.