Thread: 1967-01-14 Beachcomber Club, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England

Thanks

1967-01-14 Beachcomber Club, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England

Saturday, January 14th, 1967
    Beachcomber Club, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
    with Jimmy Cliff and the Shakedown Squad

NO SETLIST KNOWN
    no recording has surfaced
    Last edited by Dolly Dagger; 03-31-11 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 657 Posts

Re: 1967-01-14 Beachcomber Club, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England

PCC:
    What do you recall about sharing a bill with Jimi Hendrix? Was that a memorable experience?

CLIFF:
    That was a very memorable experience, because Hendrix is one of the originals, and for the fact that he opened for me. And we had some nice conversations. I remember the first conversation we had, the night that he first opened for me. He was a great soul. Very inspirational spirit that came on the scene here. He did his work very quickly and just left, left the scene.

http://popcultureclassics.com/jimmy_cliff.html

There's a picture of Jimi Hendrix in the reception area of this hotel. Tell me about meeting Jimi Hendrix in Britain for the first time...
    I used to play the clubs. I think I was playing in Nottingham. A week before my gig they asked me "Y'know there's this new guitarist... do you mind if he opens for you?" It wasn't like a real opener because I used to do two sets so they said "Do you mind if he does one set in between your two?" I didn't mind, I didn't know him, but when he came to the club I had just finished my first set so when I came off he came to me and said "What's the name of your band man?" I said "Jimmy Cliff and the Shakedown Sounds" He said "Maaaaan... you can sing! I can't sing. I can just play my guitar" (laughs) Apparently he didn't have all that much confidence in his singing! But then he went on and he tore the place up! After that we became pretty close. Every time we were coming back from a gig up north or down south, we'd stop at café and talk about how our gigs went and how things were going. He was one of the kindest people you could ever find.

http://www.reggaeville.com/nc/artist...h/ac/news.html

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Nice one ER. Interesting in the 1st interview how JC is sooo very keen to state, "he opened for me" (twice), in the other interview JH is reduced to almost a charity case
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Nice one ER. Interesting in the 1st interview how JC is sooo very keen to state, "he opened for me" (twice), in the other interview JH is reduced to almost a charity case
    and I didn't quote some other of his references to Hendrix which all repeat how he praised him for his singing (it is true because Hendrix said so!) :-)

In fact, they were on the same bill quite some times, and it is therefore a pity he doesn't remember more of their (reportedly many) conversations. Perhaps someone should do an interview with him on Hendrix. He is still alive?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    and I didn't quote some other of his references to Hendrix which all repeat how he praised him for his singing (it is true because Hendrix said so!) :-)
    Here's one: "Cliff spoke about how a young kid had come up to him in the '60s in London and asked to open a set. "He said 'I can't sing, I can't sing like you,'" said Cliff, "I can only play my guitar. And the rest is history."

http://www.laweekly.com/music/jimmy-cliff-sonos-studio-5-9-12-2400792

Ha-ha-ha, JH was SIX years older than Cliff!

In fact, they were on the same bill quite some times . . .
    Not sure what you mean by that, but as far as I can see, they only shared the bill once?
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Not sure what you mean by that, but as far as I can see, they only shared the bill once?
    You're correct, I thought I came accross one other bill, but I checked again and it wasn't. But at least, according to his own words, they hung out a lot together: "Every time we were coming back from a gig up north or down south, we'd stop at café and talk about how our gigs went and how things were going."

Thanks

But at least, according to his own words, they hung out a lot together: "Every time we were coming back from a gig up north or down south, we'd stop at café and talk about how our gigs went and how things were going."
    Yeah right Jimi and Jimmy were tight - not. Cliff's just a typical show-biz guy (ie including sacred Jimi), they cannot help but bullshit - it's part of the job! What was the chances they would just bump into each other in a motorway cafe in those early days? No one associated mentions this, they would though - if it had happened, even a slight passing brush - as Cliff was/is a major musician.
    Nearly all Jimi's gigs were in the London area then, he was not driving up and down the country often, only the very occasional gig, eg Southampton, New Castle & a couple of others.
    Last edited by stplsd; 09-15-15 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks

Saturday 14 January 1967
    Nottingham, Beachcomber Club, Lace Market, Nottinghamshire, England. JHE
    Although a small club it was part of the ‘bread-&-butter’ cicuit that many well known R&B/ ‘rock’ acts of the day played.
    Concert (60 minutes)
    Noel was probably using Chas’ 4-string Gibson EB2 bass.
    Support: Jimmy Cliff & The Shakedown Sound. Yet another UK example of a ‘black’ star with a ‘white’ backing group at this time;. The Shakedowns eventually ‘morphed’ into Mott The Hoople.
    Accommodation: [the famous] Black Boy Hotel [now demolished], Long Row, Nottingham
    Songs: from a set list scrawled on Hyde Park Towers notepaper:

Can You See Me
    Mercy, Mercy (Don Covay)
    Like A Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan)
    Rock Me Baby (BB King)
    3rd Stone From The Sun
    Foxy Lady
    Stone Free
    Hey Joe (Billy Roberts)
    Wild Thing (James ‘Chip Taylor’ Voight)

PCC: What do you recall about sharing a bill with Jimi Hendrix? Was that a memorable experience?
    Jimmy: That was a very memorable experience, because Hendrix is one of the originals, and for the fact that he opened for me. And we had some nice conversations. I remember the first conversation we had, the night that he first opened for me. He was a great soul. Very inspirational spirit that came on the scene here. He did his work very quickly and just left, left the scene.
    [http://popcultureclassics.com/jimmy_cliff.html]

Angus Taylor: The first legend of music Reggaeville encounters when entering the West End's plush epicurean Sanctum Hotel to interview Jimmy Cliff is not Jimmy himself but a large gaudy stain glass panel depicting Jimi Hendrix. A fortuitous meeting, as Jimmy and Jimi became friends in the mid sixties while they were both strangers abroad trying to shop their then unknown music in the cold ramparts of the United Kingdom.
    [...]
    There's a picture of Jimi Hendrix in the reception area of this hotel. Tell me about meeting Jimi Hendrix in Britain for the first time...
    Jimmy: I used to play the clubs. I think I was playing in Nottingham. A week before my gig they asked me "Y'know there's this new guitarist... do you mind if he opens for you?" It wasn't like a real opener because I used to do two sets so they said "Do you mind if he does one set in between your two?" I didn't mind, I didn't know him, but when he came to the club I had just finished my first set so when I came off he came to me and said "What's the name of your band man?" I said "Jimmy Cliff and the Shakedown Sounds" He said "Maaaaan... you can sing! I can't sing. I can just play my guitar" (laughs) Apparently he didn't have all that much confidence in his singing! But then he went on and he tore the place up! After that we became pretty close. Every time we were coming back from a gig up north or down south, we'd stop at café and talk about how our gigs went and how things were going. He was one of the kindest people you could ever find.
    [http://www.reggaeville.com/nc/artist.../ac/news.html]

Kathy: “Once we arrived in a new town we would have to find ourselves a hotel, as it would not be pre-booked or arranged on our behalf. In Nottingham we ended up in a dowdy old inn called The Blackboy Hotel, which Jimi couldn’t believe.
    “I ain’t staying no place called The Blackboy,” he protested, but there was no choice. He didn’t really care. He thought it was quite amusing. “Where do you English get these names from? You couldn’t call a hotel The Blackboy in The States.”
    [‘Through Gypsy Eyes’ by Kathy Etchingham]

Saturday 14 January 1967
    UK (Leicester)
    EVENING POST AND NEWS (page?) [ad]:
    AT BEACHCOMBER CLUB
    SATURDAY — TONIGHT — SATURDAY
    HEY JOE !
    JIMMI HENDRIX [sic]
    EXPERIENCE

Jimmy Cliff and Shakedown Sound
    SUNDAY SUNDAY
    Ex-"Holly” Eric Haydock’s 8-piece Soul
    HAYDOCK’S ROCK HOUSE
    HAYDOCK’S ROCK HOUSE
    TUESDAY TUESDAY
    Leicesters Own Tamla Sound
    LE GAY
    WEDNESDAY
    ROBERT HIRST BIG-TASTE
    THURSDAY. DISCOTHEQUE
    Free Tickets Tues. & Wed. for Thurs. (14c)

Saturday 14 (21) January 1967
    USA
    BILLBOARD (page 66) ‘Hits Of The World’ ‘Britain’ [from Thursday’s (UK) Record Retailer]:
    06 (05) Happy Jack—Who (Reaction)—Fabulous
    21 (25) I Feel Free—Cream (Reaction)—Dratleas [sic Dratleaf]
    32 (41) Hey Joe—Jimi Hendrix (Polydor)—Yameta.
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-07-16 at 03:16 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: