Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: George Odell (or Richard Penniman)?

Thanks

George Odell (or Richard Penniman)?

Just for the record and for posterity, ...does anybody have some actual knowledge regarding this?

Is this a photo of Jimi playing with 'Gorgeous George' Odell?

Attachment 7178

Or is it of him playing with 'Little Richard' Penniman?

If its Odell then it would be from 1964 when Jimi was in a band with him on a package tour including Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson and B.B. King among others. That was immediately after Jimi left the Isley Bros and before he stated working as Litttle Richard's valet and later guitarist on a '64-65 tour.

Attached is a photo of Penniman taken in 1963 around the same time.

George Odell was known by the name ‘Gorgeous George’ on the Southern R&B Circuit precisely because he wore a blonde wig like a famous wrestler of the same name.
    The man singing behind Jimi is wearing a blonde wig.

Here's a photo of the three shots together to compare the men's facial details. Look particularly at the eyebrows

Attachment 7180

There is some more information on George at the bottom of this post:

Attachment 7179Attachment 7181

"During 1988, there occurred a reunion of artists from the old Stax label in Memphis, Tennessee...
    The event was covered by The Black Entertainment Television Network, better known as BET. A broadcast..., ‘This Week In Black Entertainment’, included interviews with many of Stax’ original artists. Among them, Rufus Thomas (remember ‘The Funky Chicken’ and ‘Walkin’ The Dog’?), Isaac Hayes, Johnny Taylor, Sam and Dave, and interestingly, one ‘Gorgeous George Odell’.

George Odell (or ‘Gorgeous George’ as he was known on the Southern R&B Circuit, because he wore a blonde wig like the famous wrestler of the same name), gave a very interesting interview. He talked about having been Stax’s first recording artist of note, and having made a record named, ‘The Biggest Fool In Town’; that sold 13,000 copies in Arkansas, Mississippi, and Kentucky, and being paid 310 dollars, thinking he was rich.

George Odell, though a small time recording artist on the Stax label, has a backing band. And who do you think is playing guitar in that band? None other than Jimi Hendrix (who at the time was calling himself Maurice James).
    Since Hendrix was a member of George Odell’s backing band in 1962*[wrong date] , perhaps from there he began playing in Little Richard’s band?
    ...And what of George Odell’s record ‘The Biggest Fool In Town’? Unfortunately, George Odell died some time after his appearance on ‘This Week In Black Entertainment’. [incorrect]
    Unfortunately Bumps Blackwell, who was Richard Penneman’s manager, died in 1985 (not too long after Little Richard’s autobiography was published), and was no longer alive to corroborate Little Richard’s version of events; when a spate of publications slowly came out, making Richard out to be a blatant liar."
    http://observer1984.blogspot.com/200...ennon-and.html
    - - - - - - - -
    N.B. * the guy got his dates wrong. Hendrix was in a band with Odell in October -November of '64, not 1962. And Odell did NOT die after that TV interview "appearance". He was still alive in 2008 and was interviewd By Steve Roby for his latest book.
    Last edited by Mysticbumwipe; 04-13-11 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,091 Posts

Re: George Odell (or Richard Penniman)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticbumwipe View Post
    Just for the record and for posterity, ...does anybody have some actual knowledge regarding this?
    Yes

Is this a photo of Jimi playing with [B]'Gorgeous George' Odell
    No
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    You're 'perspective is a little unclear to me. In the face of 99% understanding the photo in question is of LR, your 1% in favor of GO needs a little more than what you are providing, which you gotta admit is rather weak, in contrast to data in favor of LR.
    Tho I'm not all too versed in the GO character I notice you menton he was known for wearing 'blonde' wigs. Is not the wig in question in the photo typically referred to as 'silver'? Big & obvious difference, even in that not-so-great color photo above.
    MBW: Did you check out the eyebrows difference?
    Look at Richard Penniman's eyebrows and then at George Odell's in the photos at this link. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Eyebrows can change. They can be groomed or pencilled. I give a lot more weight to the statement of the photographer than to inconclusive fuzzy eyebrow comparisons.
    MBW: First of all the guy in the photo does NOT have pencilled eyebrows(?)
    Secondly, the photo I put up for comparison very clearly shows Little Richard in Sept 1963.
    So you can see exactly how his eyebrows looked at the time of this photo
    (and they very clearly don't match, to my mind).

When was the autographed copy signed? Who is "David" and how did he get a color copy from John Goddard, the photographer? He might have bought it from Goddard, although I don't remember if Goddard was selling them out of Village Music. Probably. Dang, I wish I'd paid closer attention when I visited Village Music. I want to say that this wasn't the only Jimi/Richard photo he had, but even if it was, I'm almost certain he had other photos of Richard from the same gig. Somebody needs to contact him and maybe put this controversy to bed. Or maybe we just need to wait for Roby's book.

I've seen the photo myself in person and talked to the man who took it. The photographer was John Goddard, the former owner of Village Records in Mill Valley, CA. The first time I saw it he had it on display in the store. I talked to him about it. He said Richard was appearing in the Bay Area (I don't remember exactly where) and that he, of course, had no idea who Jimi was. In fact I got the impression he still wasn't that interested in Jimi! But he was very much a fan of 50's rock. In my opinion there's no way he could have mistakenly been photographing a Gorgeous George show and thinking it was Little Richard.
    MBW: I also don't think that is likely, (that he mistakenly took a photo of 'Gorgeous' George thinking it was Little Richard). I'm not suggesting that.
    What I DO think is possible, is that 48 years ago a fifities rock n roll fan took amateur photos of acts he saw at the time. Maybe tours seperately to or even tours with other acts on the same bill as Little Richard. Then years later he learnt that an 'unknown' Hendrix had played with Little Richard in the early sixties.
    So he goes through his photos to see if he had unknowingly taken any rare photos of Jimi Hendrix and Little Richard together and he finds this photo.
    Now, assuming he has more interest in Little Richard than anyone else, its no great stretch to imagine he mistakenly preferred to think this is Little Richard and Hendrix: a rare pairing of the 'originator' of 'Rock n' Rol'l with the 'originator' of 'Psychedelic Heavy Metal'. That would be more 'rare' and worthy in his and others eyes than a rare pairing of Hendrix with the relativley unknown and forgotten 'Gorgeous George'.

Then, WITH THAT ASSUMPTION he puts it up in his shop window to attract punters.
    (Here's a pertinent question: does he sell copies?).

And then, later again, someone (who had bought a copy?) takes a copy of the photo to Little Richard and asks him to sign it, which Richard does.
    Now I agree we could expect Richard to say:
    'Hey, that's not me. That's that guy Odell'.
    But we would have to know the circumstances of the signing.
    If Little Richard was surrounded by admirers and signing numerous autographs before he can get into his waiting limo, then its no stretch to assume he just signed what was put in front of him without taking much care or notice of what he was actually signing.

Anyway, sure. Perhaps I am wrong to question this and this genuinely is Little Richard and Hendrix.
    But I still think its possible that its not, and what this demonstrates is that no-one now remembers poor 'Gorgeous George' Odell, even when confronted with a photo of him? :-(

P.S.
    I think it perhaps helps to remember that just because someone was there does not mean their account is beyond question. ;-)
    E.g. Didn't Womack and Bill Wyman and others say they saw Hendrix set light to his guitar before he came to the UK. (Highly dubious).
    Ike Turner claims he remembers Hendrix playing with them and he fired him for playing too loud. (Highly dubious)
    Didn't Michael Lang say Hendrix entered the stage at the Miami Pop Festival by climbing down a rope ladder from a helicopter (a laughably absurd anecdote), etc., etc.
    Last edited by Mysticbumwipe; 04-08-11 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks

The author I quoted who claimed Gorgeous George Odell died in 1988 was way wrong.
    "...Unfortunately, George Odell died some time after his appearance on ‘This Week In Black Entertainment’..."
    Steve Roby says he interviewed Gorgeous George in 2008.
    The Missing Footnotes: Part Two
    This is part two of my Missing Footnote series. I know many Hendrix fans relish details, facts, and sources, and I’m one of those fans too. In my research for Becoming Jimi Hendrix I used printed interviews, recorded interviews conducted by others, and interviews I personally conducted. The majority of those were done over a three-year period from 2008 to 2010.

Chapter Three
    Little Funky Clubs
    (working title)

Chapter three involved an interview I conducted with Gorgeous George on February 16, 2008.
    I recall [the] musician [was] difficult to track down.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 556 Posts

Here's a more natural shot of Little Richard's eyebrows (Christ, I never thought I'd post such a comment in my life!).
    This is from 1966 (that's Vigon next to him):

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    Here's a more natural shot of Little Richard's eyebrows. This is from 1966.
    What do you think then?

For me its more proof that its not him in the photo with Jimi.

(Christ, I never thought I'd post such a comment in my life!).
    He he. :-D

Thanks

Here some links I've found discussing 'Gorgeous George' whose real name apparently was Theodopholous Odell George.

"...promoter “Gorgeous George” Odell exposed Hendrix to showmanship..."
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

"He was actually an MC on the R&B circuit in the 60's and apparently had a hilarious act! According to Rob Bowman's notes for the first box set of Stax 45s, he had been a valet for Hank Ballard and used to make all his own clothes."

"Odell has been around in the Atlanta area and College Park, Ga for quite some time. He had a tailoring business there and outfits a lot of stars ie. Steve Harvey, The Isley Brothers and many others. He was touring around with some of the Soul Groups and was working with Ronald Isley and brothers. He has been onstage in the Atlanta area with The Isleys when they come to the city."

"I remember seeing Gorgeous George as M.C. for so many rythym and blues reviews in the 60's. He would introduce the acts and call himself, 'the most beautiful man in the world' even before Ali, and he always dressed so sharp, even better than most of the acts. ...One night in Houston the police shut down the show when Sam Cooke began to sing 'Twistin the Night Away'. G.G. was the M.C."

"Speaking of George, during some of our conversations at his business, I would jokingly say, "George, ya know, you are so conceited", and his reply always was "no, I'm not conceited, "I'm Convinced!" He has always been quite a character. I did have privy to hear a CD that he produced, somewhere around the early 90's or, late 80's and one of the songs he did was, his version of "It took a hundred pounds of Clay" and some others whereby, he was sort of rapping about you can't keep a good woman down or, the likes. He's still got the music in him and humor also."

"George is a character, he's funny as hell, will keep you laughing and is fun to be around. He loves to talk about the past and all his experiences with all the artists he toured with back in the day."

" I just recently, read Dionne Warrick's book titled, 'MY LIFE' and in it's early pages, somewhere between 27-31, she mentions Gorgeous George, more than once. It seems that he was an emcee for some of her early touring events."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache8tkyQdepHYJ:indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2007/01/gorgeous-george-now-i-believe-neptune.html+%22gorgeous+george%22+%2B+odell&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=safari&source=www.google.com

It even has a soundclip of a recording of his:

"By November/December of 1964 after touring countless cities with The Isley Brothers they had a falling out and Jimi decided to move on. Fortunately he met up with [and joined the band of ] Gorgeous George Odell who was on the same tour with Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, and BB King... Also on the tour were The Valentinos with Harry and Bobby Womack. When he arrived in Memphis with George Odell on the Sam Cooke tour Jimi met up with Steve Cropper guitarist for Booker T and the MGs.
    http://www.soul-patrol.com/funk/jh_chitlin.htm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysticbumwipe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What do you think then?

For me its more proof that its not him in the photo with Jimi.
    It is impossible to solve this with eyebrow comparison. The stage photo is not very crisp and that could be heavy make up that we see and not natural eyebrows. The stage photo looks just like Richard to me. The bone structure, the mouth, the cheeky smile.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 661 Posts

wouldn't it be possible to date the year of the picture by looking at Jimi's guitar etc. instead of fixating at someone's eyebrows?

Jimi played with them a year apart and there should, I presume, be some difference too in comparison with other pictures of Jimi in those years, few as they are.

Just a thought...
    Last edited by Ezy Rider; 04-09-11 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks

It should be possible to ask Richard Penniman.

Even better would be to ask Theodopholous Odell George himself. If its still possible to.

A third way of settling this would be as Roland Stone suggested, to see the other photos that John Goddard of Mill Valley, CA apparently has from the same gig.
    "...I want to say that this wasn't the only Jimi/Richard photo he had, but even if it was, I'm almost certain he had other photos of Richard from the same gig. Somebody needs to contact him and maybe put this controversy to bed..."
    Last edited by Mysticbumwipe; 04-11-11 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gesikang View Post
    "...wouldn't it be possible to date the year of the picture by looking at Jimi's guitar etc. instead of fixating at someone's eyebrows?
    Jimi played with them a year apart and there should, I presume, be some difference too in comparison with other pictures of Jimi in those years, few as they are.
    Just a thought..."
    Good idea.
    Problem is though, that no-one appears to be in total and unambiguous agreement as to when exactly Hendrix played with Odell.
    And, as Odell was the MC on the Little Richard tour of '65, this photo could be from either tours (the earlier Sam Cooke one or the later Little Richard one).
    Going by memory I think Steve Roby in Black Gold has it that the Odells guitarist job on the Sam Cooke tour was around '63 to '64, while Charles Cross, in Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography writes spring of '64.
    Whereas Johnny Black in Eyewitnes Hendrix:The Day-by-Day Story is the most explicit and he has it that Jimi played with Odell on the Sam Cooke tour in Novermber '64 to some time in the beginning of '65.

Black has it that Jimi then got stranded in Kansas City after missing the tour bus. But which tour? The Sam Cooke tour? Its not stated in the three books mentioned above. But it is agreed that Odell then got him the the job on the Little Richard tour "helping" Odell himself who was the MC on the tour. Jimi's duties involved loading the tour bus, etc., and being a valet to Richard (so not at first as a guitarist in his band).
    Now does all that include playing guitar for the Odells on that tour?
    Did Odell even have a band on that tour? Or was he just the MC? That isn't made clear.
    So it could be that Jimi started out as guitarist for Odell's band (The Odells ) and ended up as guitarist for Little Richard's band (The Upsetters) on that tour.
    Or could he even have been guitarist with both bands?
    Or was it just LittLle Richard with no other acts on that tour?
    Or, more likely, was it just one band playing behind a a few different acts on the Little Richard tour?
    Its not clear.

So I don't see how we can decide who this is by what guitar Jimi was playing at the time, as we don't know what time excludes it being Odell.

Here is what one online source writes:
    "That same month [November/December of 1964] Jimi missed the bus for the Sam Cooke tour in Kansas City. Stranded, he got help from Gorgeous George Odell to get him to Atlanta where he met up with Little Richard and his band The Upsetters. At this time Jimi was going under the name Maurice James and becomes Little Richard's valet for the tour. Later Jimi got promoted to become his guitarist."

The only problem with this is if he missed the tour with Odell WHY would Odell then help him get a job with himself on a tour Little Richard?

Thanks

I am no way a guitar specialist, but all pictures in the CTT gallery here of the pre-Experience show the same Guyatone guitar, however none of them are dated (1965?). If it is possible to know when he got this guitar (still unknown, see the French site) but maybe listed in the Hendrix gear book, which I don't have, you can come up with a date that you can or cannot correlate with the alleged Odell period (which seems rather early to me). Also, Hendrix guitar was "thrown out the bus" (sold/pawned) by Womack, this would mean that Jimi after that time should have got another guitar, probably the one in the picture. I don't know when this happened but it is another date you can correlate the other dates to. Just some more thoughts ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gesikang View Post
    ...all pictures in the CTT gallery here of the pre-Experience show the same Guyatone guitar, however none of them are dated (1965?). If it is possible to know when he got this guitar ...you can come up with a date that you can or cannot correlate with the alleged Odell period ...Hendrix's guitar was "thrown out the bus" by Womack, this would mean that Jimi ...should have got another guitar, probably the one in the picture. I don't know when this happened but it is another date you can correlate the other dates to. Just some more thoughts ...
    Yeah. Good thoughts.
    I see where you are trying to go.

But...

(here is a pic of a 1963 Fender Jazzmaster)
    ...assuming we say he got the guitar in the disputed photo AFTER Womack allegedly threw his other off the bus, we will only then know that he got this Jazzmaster halfway through the Odell tour.

So that still won't tell us if the photo in question is:
    1. from the latter half of the Odell/Sam Cooke tour (October '64 to November or December of 1964?)
    or
    2. later when Jimi was on a Little Richard tour (starting Dec '64 or Jan '65).

And even if we could decide which of these two tours it was,
    as Odell was on both tours that still won't decide anything, either.

Plus we don't know if that story regarding Womack is totally correct.

Also Jimi was playing the Jazzmaster when he was with the Isley Bros.

Jimi started playing on tour with the Isley Bros. in September of 1964 but left them in October 1964. He rejoined them again briefly later in the spring of 1965.
    These pics were taken of Jimi with the Isleys AFTER Jimi played with Odell on the Sam Cooke and Little Richard tours. So these are from around August of 1965 at a gig at Essex County Country Club, West Orange, New Jersey.

But, again I don't see how all this tells us anything about the Odell /Little Richard question.

P.S.
    I have been trying to check out the exact dates for all these bands between Autumn of 1964 and Spring of 1965.
    It has been tricky because, as I have written before, different accounts give different dates for the same events and these 'mistakes' (?) then get repeated.

Here is the most detailed source that I have found so far:
    http://www.earlyhendrix.com/artistsc...views-timeline

This one is quite good also:

It looks like Jimi was on tour with The Isleys from around 10th of September 1964 to October 1964.

Then he played with GG Odell from early October till he missed the tour bus in Kansas around end of October '64 or beginning of November '64.

At this time (October - November) he joined a touring band that took him to Atlanta.
    That band was named after the leader The Mighty Hannibal
    "Then I got stranded in Kansas City 'cause I missed the bus. So I was in Kansas City Missouri and didn't have any money. This group came up and brought me back to Atlanta, Georgia where I met Little Richard and started playing with him for a while." - Jimi
    Mighty Hannibal (from the liner notes of the cd "Hannibalism!"):
    "...As a matter of fact, I introduced Little Richard to Jimi Hendrix. Jimi played some shows with me in Atlanta. He ...used to do these shows with this guy Gorgeous George, the singer, not the wrestler...
    Then he was with Little Richard and GG Odell starting in November or December 1964 or even as late as January 1965, first as GG Odell's helper and LR's valet.

In February of '65 Jimi was in LA with Little Richard where he met up with Arthur Lee,and recorded the song that he had written for/with Rosa Lee Brooks.
    In March 1965 Jimi got back together with Little Richard and played some dates in LA.
    In June of '65 Jimi finally left Little Richard and a tour whilst it was in Washington DC.

Jimi rejoined the Isley Brothers again sometime in the early summer of 1965,

He left the Isley Brothers sometime later in that year, probably around October 1965

- . - . - . - .

Here's the detail:
    - The Isley Brothers toured the UK during 17 October to 23 November 1964, so Jimi had left their band by that time.

- In a postcard to his father stamped 28 September, Hendrix says that he's about halfway through a 35-day tour, which means that he would have started on the tour around 10th of September 1964 . The Isley Brothers were recording "The Last Girl / Looking For A Love" in New York on the 23rd of September, not touring. So that would be the Sam Cooke tour.
    Postcard to Al Hendrix, stamped 28 September 1964 in Columbus, Ohio
    (Postcard depicts Port Columbus airport):
    " Dear Dad. I hope everything's fine. Well here I am again, traveling to diffrent places. I'm on a tour which lasts about 35 days we're about 1/2 through it now. We've been through all the cities in the midwest east & south I'll write soon Jimmy"
    - The Sam Cooke tour with, Gorgeous George Odell, Jackie Wilson, and The Valentinos was in September / October 1964.

- Hendrix has said in interviews that he toured with Sam Cooke & Jackie Wilson, which has been confirmed by Bobby Womack (then a member of the Valentinos), 'Gorgeous' George Odell & B.B.King who were on the same tour.

- Jimi mentions in the postcard sent in October that his home address is Atlanta. Atlanta is close to Nashville where Hendrix said in interviews that he quit the Isley Brothers, and joined a Sam Cooke tour.
    September? 1964 Nashville, Tennessee. Jimi quits the Isley Brothers.
    "So then I quit, I quit them in Nashville somewhere. And eh, ??? this guy ['Gorgeous George' Odell] , he was on a tour with B.B.King, Jackie Wilson and Sam Cooke, and all these people, Chuck Jackson. So I played, eh, I was playing guitar behind a lot of the acts on the tour."
    - Interview with Klas Burling, Stockholm, 25 May 1967.
    The artists Jimi quoted in the Klas Burling interview as having been part of the Sam Cooke tour do not quite match the list Sam Cooke gave during the 24 October 1964 WKIX radio interview.
    Jimi lists - B.B.King, Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke and Chuck Jackson
    Sam Cooke lists - Jackie Wilson, Jimmy Hughes, The Upsetters, The Valentinos & 'Gorgeous' George Odell.
    A possible explanation for this could be that Jimi actually participated in what were technically two different Sam Cooke tours,
    1. a Sam Cooke/Valentinos tour (with B.B.King & Chuck Jackson?) in September 1964
    and
    2. a Sam Cooke / Jackie Wilson tour in October-November 1964. This would explain the big differences in the line-ups given by different people and also matches all known dates.

See Univibes #39 for an interview with Bobby Womack where he talks about touring with Sam Cooke & Jimi,
    and Univibes #14 for an interview with B.B.King where he says that he did tour with Hendrix, confirming Jimi's interview comment.

- Jimi has said in interviews that after he left the Sam Cooke tour he travelled BACK to Atlanta, and joined Little Richard there. In a postcard stamped 25 January 1965 Hendrix says
    "I received your letter while I was in Atlanta. I'm playing with Little Richard now".
    Postcard to Al Hendrix, stamped 28? January 1965 in Dallas, Texas
    (Postcard depicts the San Ann Motel in Dallas, Texas):
    " Dearest Dad
    Well - we just left Houston and we're now in Dallas. we'll play around here and Ft. Worth, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Louisiana for awhile, then we'll head for California - Little Richard left Seattle not too long ago - I wished I could've been with him then But we'll make it up there again soon.
    Tell Ben & Ernie that Houstons swinging,
    Jimmy"
    Reproduced in Univibes #17. The date is given as 28 January 1966 in Univibes but the card is clearly from 1965.

- Jimi became a member of the Isley Brothers again sometime in the spring / summer of 1965, played gigs around New York, recorded the 45 "Move Over And Let Me Dance / Have You Ever Been Disappointed" on the 5th of August.
    Photographs from this session and from four different concerts during 1965 have been published in Univibes. Jimi remained a member of the Isley Brothers band until leaving sometime late in 1965, likely around October.
    Last edited by Mysticbumwipe; 04-12-11 at 11:50 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysticbumwipe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^Nice research Mr. Mystic! Maybe Steve Roby's book could add some date info and fill in some gaps (haven't bought it yet). It would be nice to create a concise chronological list for this hazy period of Jimi's short career.

Thanks

wow, thanks, amazing research!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 529 Posts

Yeah, the earlyhendrix site contains some excellent research .
    The soul patrol site is full of errors.

Becoming roughly gives the following dates:

March-August 1964
    Jimi plays with the Isleys.

Late August 1964 - October 1964
    Hendrix joins a Supersonic Attractions tour as valet of G. George on, playing guitar for The Tams.

October 1964 - November 1964 - The "Sam Cooke" tour
    Hendrix joins another Supersonic Attractions tour with Sam Cooke etc. and plays guitar for G. George

December 1964 - July 1965
    With Little Richard.

But as Jimi plays a jazzmaster in all the photos from 1963 to early 65 this won't help in determining the date of the picture.

By the way, G. George deserves a lot of credit; it seems he gave young Jim a lot of help without any ulterior motives.

Thanks

I started a thread on a Little Richard forum to get some info from their side:

Little Richard Forum
    Last edited by purple jim; 04-12-11 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 860 Posts

I started a thread on a Little Richard forum to get some info frop their side:

Little Richard Forum
    Excellent move James, lets watch what rolls out :-)
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Nice detective work guys!

This has turned into an amazing thread!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    "...But as Jimi plays a jazzmaster in all the photos from 1963 to early 65 this won't help in determining the date of the picture..."
    Do you know of a photo of Jimi with the Fender Jazzmaster from 1963 or from 1964?
    I didn't know there were any.
    If you do know of any, it would be great if you could provide a link,
    or scan them and add them to the CTT gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    "...By the way, G. George deserves a lot of credit; it seems he gave young Jim a lot of help without any ulterior motives."
    Yeah. I think its great that this is coming out more now.
    I think it would also be great – if this photo in question IS of him and Jimi –
    that that was also acknowledged. (;-)

G. George deserves the credit due to him regarding his involvement with Hendrix's career and for the generous help he gave Jimi when Jimi was struggling financially and gig-wise.
    Acknowledgement also that this might be him in the picture would be a great step in that direction.

I must confess I am a bit surprised that so few Hendrix fans here have been open to even the remotest possibility that the person in this picture could be someone else other than Penniman.
    Instead, more than that, so many have actually been very opposed to even the idea of such a thing. I find that curious.

Penniman wasn't even that kind to Hendrix by all accounts.
    Rosa Lee Brooks got to hear about all of that.

And Jimi says he left Penniman's band because he didn't even pay Jimi his due.
    (According to Etchingham, when Penniman was touring the UK, after Jimi had become a great success there, after one concert in Dec '66 Jimi went backstage with Kathy Etchingham to see him and Jimi jokingly asked him for the owed wages.
    Penniman appears to have lied even about that and claimed instead that Jimi came around and 'borrowed' fifty dollars. Yeah, right. Sure, Richard).

So I don't really understand then why many here are so attached to the idea that this is Penniman in the picture in the light of all the info I am providing which quite clearly demonstrates that it quite possibly (and in my opinion very likely) is not Penniman.