Thread: June 'Bug' Hendrix

Thanks

June 'Bug' Hendrix

I had the fortune to meet Mrs June Hendrix at Jimi's grave site in 1995.
    She was a lovely woman who went to Jimi's grave every day to remove any graffiti and other things like drugs and bottles etc.

I kept in contact with her for a short time and even sent her a Koala.
    She in turn sent me a very personal letter that only now I feel it's time to share it here.

She discusses Leon and the problems she had with him at the time. It is interesting that in all the Experience Hendrix releases released June is not mentioned but Al is prominently.

Included here is a letter and photo she sent me. I also have some other personal things she gave me that I will post later.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ranasakawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: June 'Bug' Hendrix

Wednesday, August 25, 1999 - Page updated at 12:00 AM
    E-mail article Print
    `June' Hendrix, Jimi's Stepmom

By Carole Beers
    Seattle Times Staff Reporter

Ayako "June" Hendrix, stepmother of legendary Seattle-born guitarist Jimi Hendrix, worked hard to make a cozy home for her family.
    She was adept at cooking both her traditional Japanese fare and her adopted African-American soul food.
    She encouraged her children in all their endeavors. And she sewed and crocheted clothes for everyone.
    But the woman who spent World War II in a relocation camp also made time for laughter, shopping and talk with the friends she made wherever she went.
    Mrs. Hendrix died of cancer Friday (Aug. 20). She was 79. She had fought back from a 1980 stroke.
    Born in Puyallup to Kimiko Shimamura and Kumaichi Fujita, she went to Japan at age 7 to live with her grandparents and go to school.
    At 22, she returned to the U.S. and spent World War II interned with others of Japanese ancestry at Idaho's Minidoka Relocation Camp. There she married Satoshi Jinka, whom she later divorced.
    After working as a dry cleaners' tailor and presser, then as a housekeeper, she met James "Al" Hendrix, Jimi's father.
    She wed Hendrix in 1966. She considered his children by another marriage as her own. She also persuaded him to adopt her youngest child, Janie.
    "Friends introduced us. We just hit it off," said James Hendrix. "She was a Buddhist and I was a Methodist, but it didn't make any difference.
    "She and Jimi got along fine. Jimi was glad that I got married again . . . and Jimi and June got real close. Jimi enjoyed having a
    baby sister again."
    Mrs. Hendrix learned to love Jimi's music. Her favorite tunes were "Foxy Lady," "Purple Haze" and "All Along the Watchtower."
    "Oh, wow, she loved it," said her son, Willie Jinka of Edmonds. "There will be a rock band playing `Foxy Lady' at the funeral. She always called herself a foxy lady. She was pretty much a character."
    She wore purple dresses, purple hats and glasses with a purple tint.
    James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix died in 1970 at age 27 of a drug overdose.
    Mrs. Hendrix acquired her nickname of "June" while working at the dry cleaners, where co-workers could not pronounce her name.
    "She was born in June," said Hendrix, "so she told the other women to call her June."
    Also surviving are her other children, Marsha Lake, Kent, and Linda Jinka, Donna Jinka and Janie Hendrix, all of Seattle; her siblings Hiroshi Fujita, of Tacoma, and Kazuma Fujita and Kikuko Morita, both of Seattle; and numerous grandchildren.
    Services are scheduled at 2 p.m. Sunday at Columbia Funeral Home, 4567 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle. Interment will be next to Jimi Hendrix at Greenwood Memorial Park, Renton.
    Carole Beers' e-mail address is cbeers@seattletimes.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wallybag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,265 Times in 1,826 Posts

Any info from that side is always interesting , but is automatically called into question by the bitter legal wrangles that left Jimi's immediate blood relatives penniless, only benefitting his one (legal) step daughter, but not her other Jinka sisters, or Jimi's immediate family, apart from one cousin Bob Hendrix (an employee), who was also criticised along with Janie for miss-managing the "family's" funds and were both removed from control of said funds. It aso has to be remembered that Jimi only ever met "June" (and Janie) very briefly.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Thanks for sharing ranasakawa!

I find it moving that 25 years after Jimi's passing, she still maintained his grave site with care and compassion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to danksquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 756 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danksquad View Post
    Thanks for sharing ranasakawa!

I find it moving that 25 years after Jimi's passing, she still maintained his grave site with care and compassion.
    +1
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Any info from that side is always interesting , but is automatically called into question by the bitter legal wrangles that left Jimi's immediate blood relatives penniless, only benefitting his one (legal) step daughter, but not her other Jinka sisters, or Jimi's immediate family, apart from one cousin Bob Hendrix (an employee), who was also criticised along with Janie for miss-managing the "family's" funds and were both removed from control of said funds. It aso has to be remembered that Jimi only ever met "June" (and Janie) very briefly.
    That is so true.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 639 Posts

it's really a shame, but i betcha lotza our families have similar problems, esp. if money is involved