Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimi's music: really appreciated or guitar hero its become cool to like?

Thanks

Jimi's music: really appreciated or guitar hero its become cool to like?

Here are some musings after this post in the How Jimi died thread.

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    He is gone but increasingly appreciated I would say. ...because of the increased understanding and appreciation of his music, due partly to a hugely higher percentage of the population having taken 'psychoactive' drugs for recreation, but mostly due to those that love his music consistently promoting it over the generations, his only major fall away in credibility being the long, dark Douglas years...
    Is Jimi's musical legacy really appreciated - or is he more just a guitar hero its become cool to like?

I know this might be controversial but I would be interested in any views to the following view of mine:

I am not sure his music is that more appreciated by younger generations.
    By some. yeah, sure. But by the majority I wonder how much of it is more of a fashion/credibility choice. Hendrix representing something to have on the shelf in order to say something about who you think you are by what you choose to be associated with?

I.e. Hendrix fits in to the category of people its now become cool to like, retroactively.

There is a mythology and and early-death fueled mystique about him, plus he was a leading icon in the 60's for that whole counterculture/rebellion/psychedelia/swinging 60's thing which is now (temporarily?) back in fashion. (These things come and go and then come back around again and ...etc.)

I suppose I am wondering if young people can collect stuff without really liking it or genuinely appreciating it for what it is without all the trappings and trimmings and mythologising/posing.

Er.... does any of this make any sense to anyone?

There is a lot of marketing-hype to sell products and Jimi had a lot of stuff going on to sell. And that has become fashionable again to 'like'
    E.g.
    Hey, I like Hendrix because I identify with him as a:
    Early-death tragic genius,
    poor-boy made good but ultimately killed by the musicindustry,
    ultimate pychedelic rock-god/guitar hero
    60's Fashion icon
    60's Counter-culture icon

I'm comparing that to "I LIKE HIS MUSIC AND APPRECIATE HIS MUSICAL EXPRESSION which I listen to purely for my own enjoyment."

Its hard to seperate all that hype out from the music now.

It would be interesting to know how his musical legacy will be treated once all of us that were alive when he was are dead.

But (sigh) we will never know that.

What do you think?

Am I just a cynical grumpy old wazook... or is there some grain of truth in my rantings?

Thanks

Re: Jimi's music: really appreciated or guitar hero its become cool to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticbumwipe View Post
    I am not sure his music is that more appreciated by younger generations.
    I have just had my 15th Birthday and I have to admit, I am pretty obsessed with Jimi. !

Thanks

Yeah I just turned 18 and I've been pretty obsessed with him for about three years. I have a couple of friends who really really like him, but they all also like old music. One of my friends is really into Jim Morrison and really understands Hendrix. It seems like when I mention Hendrix to people that listen to current music, they just kinda say like "Oh gosh, that guy?" So I would say that people who listen to and appreciate older music "Get" Hendrix much better than people who listen to current music.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by josephboggs View Post
    Yeah I just turned 18 and I've been pretty obsessed with him for about three years. I have a couple of friends who really really like him, but they all also like old music. One of my friends is really into Jim Morrison and really understands Hendrix. It seems like when I mention Hendrix to people that listen to current music, they just kinda say like "Oh gosh, that guy?" So I would say that people who listen to and appreciate older music "Get" Hendrix much better than people who listen to current music.

Wow! Forgot to add, I've been pretty obsessed for about three years too. :-)

My friends never heard of him until I started listening. My best friend is really into Vai and we exchange stuff with eachother between Hendrix and Vai. We really appreciate each others music. :-)

Thanks

It all depends. There are plenty of younger people who only "get" Hendrix in the sense that they also like to do drugs...same idea with Morrison.

I'm always surprised by the amount of people (young and old) who write off Hendrix as having been a junkie and/or a loser.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Newsflash!! : It's no different now than it was then. I was there, back 'then' and Hendrix fanatics were a core select few. Hendrix was so 'out of this world' that people thought we were weird. To one another we were 'with it'. A Hendrix fan then was a musically open person and most every Hendrix fanatic I knew (and still know) were into all sorts of music from blues, to jazz, to the classics, just like Hendrix himself! I think it's been that way since then, and still is like that today.

"Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Newsflash!! : It's no different now than it was then. I was there, back 'then' and Hendrix fanatics were a core select few. Hendrix was so 'out of this world' that people thought we were weird. To one another we were 'with it'. A Hendrix fan then was a musically open person and most every Hendrix fanatic I knew (and still know) were into all sorts of music from blues, to jazz, to the classics, just like Hendrix himself! I think it's been that way since then, and still is like that today.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

Thanks

Newsflash (the Sequel)!! : current/new music is older music. Only the performers are current/new.

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Newsflash (the Sequel)!! : current/new music is older music. Only the performers are current/new.

True. And whether an artist is "innovative" or not, is only dictated by which musical era he or she is recycling.

Thanks

o
    Last edited by Hendrix.; 07-17-11 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks

I think three things were different "back in the day"

1) There were, obviously, far fewer media outlets. Three major TV Channels, a few underground radio stations. As one Jimi Documentary put it. Popular stations weren't really playing his music, black stations weren't playing his music, and you would go to his shows and they would be sold out with ecstatic fans.
    2) Maybe it was just the group I hung around with then, but who was the best guitarist carried a lot more weight than it does today. It was a topic of conversation and the electric guitar, as a whole, was perhaps more of a novelty than it is now.
    3) No one had heard or imagined the sounds that Jimi was getting from his instrument.

Thanks

l
    Last edited by Hendrix.; 07-17-11 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post

... I gotta disagree ...
    no sweat, gotta do what ya gotta do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix. View Post
    Personally,i think many young people are wised up on Jimi,way back when he started out,he was a cult figure to many,he is now known the world over, ...
    He has never stopped being a cult figure AND he was internationally well-known in his own time as well. Of course, with the passage of time more people will learn 'about' Hendrix, but, as I earlier stated, a core select few will 'get it' and actually come to 'know' Hendrix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
    I was around back then too. I gotta say it is different now. Jimi was Jimi, and they'll never be another one; but there is a shitload of exceptional guitarists nowdays. Back then, before Jimi went to England, there were some good guitarists and some very good guitarists, but Jimi just blew them all away. His guitar playing alone was enough to blow them away, but he also had the look, stage presence, moves, originality, writing, soul, charisma and everything else. He was freedom personified. Jimi is still #1, but there are thousands of guitatists a lot closer to him today than there was in 1966, and he's still "the Man".
    It was said in the movie that he was as important to guitar playing as were the Beatles who brought songwriting to music.Jimi's playing brought the electric guitar out as an instument and sold it to those thousands of guitarists that have had 40 years to study Jimi. I never heard Jimi on the radio until a few months after he died. The would always play "freedom" from Cry of Love.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

I think Jimi's music got a kind of revival during the early 90's after being seen as some 60s artifact during the "disco", "punk" eras and the horrible 80's. And his reputation has only grown since then.

It was cool to like the 60s again, and many new bands were influenced by the psychedelic era circa 1990. Now we're talking media attention etc, not the number of Hendrix freaks. Early 90's was when I discovered Jimi.

I dunno but no-one ever told me it's "cool" to like Hendrix...guitar heroes are generally never "cool" outside your peer-group.

Thanks

I think Jimi's music got a kind of revival during the early 90's after being seen as some 60s artifact during the "disco", "punk" eras and the horrible 80's. And his reputation has only grown since then.

It was cool to like the 60s again, and many new bands were influenced by the psychedelic era circa 1990. Now we're talking media attention etc, not the number of Hendrix freaks. Early 90's was when I discovered Jimi.

I dunno but no-one ever told me it's "cool" to like Hendrix...guitar heroes are generally never "cool" outside your peer-group.
    Pretty much agree. Outside of the Hendrix fans in the late 70's and 80's those who did not like Jimi or care to even learn about him generally dimissed him as a burned out drug casualty and not relevant to the music of the day. Around the late 90's I generally seemed to notice a change in that even if people weren't Hendrix nuts so to speak it was acknowledged by even casual fans and non fans he was a great guitarist and a legend to be respected and somewhat "cool" to like. Lately I have started to hear something I had never heard in any era. "He is overated". Perhaps that comes from the fact there is so much more available now (and some of it of questionable quality) No matter what the trend is with the general public I still love his music kind of obsessively I guess and see the beauty in it as much as I did when I first bought Smash Hits.

Thanks

p
    Last edited by Hendrix.; 07-17-11 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 554 Posts

The problem is, he is always dubbed "the greatest guitarist" etc. and this can overshadows the the inner beauty of his music, his amazing songwriting and his superb vocal delivery on the studio recordings.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to purple jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What baffles me is the large percentage of my friends who just completely don't get it and see his music as a barrage of noise. Besides the obvious "hang out with different friends" comment, I'm sure you know what I mean. What the Hell is wrong with these people?