Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969-06-20 Newport69 Vibratory Merge

Thanks
    Thanked 4,045 Times in 348 Posts

1969-06-20 Newport69 Vibratory Merge

Since we have a few (at least 1!) member here who's attended this show i thought i'd torrent the Vibratory Merge of this show, this one is as complete as it gets and the only stereo version, since the SBD source is basically Mono. This merge was made by my friend Vibratory in 2005 but hasnt circulated a whole lot. Hopefully it will be enjoyed!

Newport20 merge

soundboard 20% right
    audience 80% left

1. Stone Free
    2. Are You Experienced/Stone Free
    3. Sunshine Of Your Love
    4. Fire
    5. Hear My Train A Comin'
    6. Red House
    7. Foxy Lady
    8. Like A Rolling Stone
    9. Voodoo Child (slight return)
    10.Purple Haze

1-9. Soundboard, 63.11, VG+
    1-4,9 Audience, 45.00, VG

Artwork is included.

Thanks

Re: 1969-06-20 Newport69 Vibratory Merge

I'm counting on it. THANK YOU JOHAN
    Just below the surface of our everyday world lie riches . . .

Thanks

Very nice ~ thanks for sharing !

Thanks

Thanks
    Mike

Thanks

Amazing how crappy each side sounds by itself & how NICE it all sounds together!
    A lot of work went into this. The results are sheer joy. WELL worth the effort!
    THANK YOU

Thanks
    Thanked 1,905 Times in 756 Posts

I would like to get people's feedback as to the JHE performance itself, rather than audio quality. Post here or PM me. thnx!

Thanks

one man's opinion;

1. Stone Free - ragged and fast, an uneasy start
    2. Are You Experienced/Stone Free - nice long melodic and chordal passages on AYE
    3. Sunshine Of Your Love - nothing out of the ordinary
    4. Fire - ragged
    5. Hear My Train A Comin' - tries to realign obnoxious elements in audience, fails, plays subdued version
    6. Red House - subdued, not bad, playing more to himself than to the audience
    7. Foxy Lady - played to death already
    8. Like A Rolling Stone - surprising song, last live version?
    9. Voodoo Child (slight return) - Jimi gives up on audience and goes through the routine of putting a finale to the concert.
    10.Purple Haze

the next person may well come up with different insights and opinions, and i might feel different about it tomorrow. generally though, i think this is a fair despcription.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

chris dixon's review from just ask the axis, always some good reading:

• Tape fades in with 'Stone Free', it's last Experience rendition. Though Jimi's voice sounds a little tired, he seems to be putting some energy into it. The solo features some apparent pickup switch manipulation around 4:15 and some nice sustained legato lines around 4:30 but breaks down to a drum solo soon after. At 6:25 Jimi re-enters with the first few notes of the 'Star Spangled Banner' then drops out again. At 6:50 it sounds like there could be a cut in the tape, as suddenly we're hearing a nice '1983' type embellished-chord improv which leads, after a few moments, into 'Are You Experienced', it's first concert appearance since January 69 and the very last (documented) time Jimi would *ever* play this 'signature' song! Great solo, one of this show's highlights IMO. After quoting a melody that sounds a bit like (of all things) Steppenwolf's 'Don't Step On The Grass' at around 2:50, Jimi does some nice soloing alternating with the root chord. This is, to me, one of those places where Jimi manages to suggest lead, bass, rhythm and percussion all at once! At around 4:15 we get an exploration of the 'Bolero' theme and some octave runs, leading into a descending bass line variation with more embellishments. At 6:40 we're suddenly back in the 'Stone Free' riff for a brief reprise to end the tune. Noel's mic is suddenly very clear in the mix, just in time to catch his very last ever interjection of "Stone Free"!
    • 'SOYL' gets it's last full outing (save a short version in Berlin Sept 70), though Jimi would go on to quote it within other songs. Goes to drum and bass solos at around 2:20 but Jimi joins in with some rhythmic fills, he and Mitch locking in nicely on one variation in particular. At 4:48 Jimi explores a variation using just the first few notes of the main riff. Some unaccompanied guitar leads into to 'Fire', again so abruptly that it may be a tape cut or edit. The end of 'Fire' is marred by some uncontrolled guitar squeal.
    • We hear Jimi toy with the 'HMT' riff for a moment, but then his mood takes a turn. Presumably reacting to some crowd disturbance, Jimi says "I hope we're not playing to a bunch of animals, so don't act like it.. you're making us uptight...". He then attempts to intro the next song with "..here's what you should be thinking about while you're picking your nose and asses...". Seems the audience will not calm down, and is possibly getting violent, as Jimi says "You all just choke yourselves...once you find yourselves you've got it made but I think there's too many of us here tonight to find out" and responds to further heckling with a simple "Fuck off.". Jimi alternates his verbal comments with running commentary on the guitar...
    • Finally starts 'HMT', swapping a few words to further comment on the situation, for example "Lord take me the *hell* away from here" and "Too bad you don't love me no more...(and) have to act like clowns". The end section drags a bit IMO, but I actually do hear some nice playing .... then again, Jimi always did seek refuge in the blues!
    • At around 6:40, we cut suddenly to the opening solo phrases of 'Red House'. Some very nice clean toned playing here, Jimi continuing his retreat into the blues. The middle solo is just two verses long, the first with a clean tone and the next with a more aggressive one. Noel begins to play the walking bass line we usually hear behind the 'percussive chord' interlude but Jimi goes straight back to the last verse.
    • Jimi segues immediately into the 'Foxy Lady' intro, saying "This is for all the teenie weenies..the one with the yellow pants (not underwear this time!) and the 18 inch.....(chuckles but doesn't say!). Another dark lyrical variation here with "I see you, down on the scene, down on the floor...you make me wanna get up and puke"! Does manage an interesting coda, using a cleaner tone than usual...
    • Segues quickly to 'Like A Rolling Stone', the first since Winterland October 68 and his last known live rendition ever. He ends up cutting it short, doing the second verse instrumentally and featuring some nice chordal embellishments instead of a solo proper. Ends it around 5:30 with the comment "None of us in this whole world are ready right now..."
    • Begins 'VC(SR)' with the comment "This is a black militant song and don't never forget it". Noel tells a story of a visit by the Black Panthers backstage on this night so maybe this was on Jimi's mind. I hear the briefest 'flirt' with the 'I Feel Fine' riff around 2:40. Some possible guitar trouble leads to a drum solo and we hear Mitch exploring some double bass drum 'rolls'.
    • Noel's vocals during 'PH' are almost too loud, probably a first (and certainly a last)! Some more extraneous guitar squeal shortens the solo and he skips some words, no doubt eager to have the gig over with...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'll finish listening to it & report when I return home this evening. But in the mean time. . . .
    I personally have never been a big fan of Jimi's versions of both Sunshine of your Love and his versions of Sgt. Pepper. I understand why he did them but they just never ever did anything for me, listening at home, except to bide my time until the next tune. (One of his)
    Is there a version (possibly a nice jam within) of either of those 2 that some of you think is pretty exceptional, or at least is above average? He did Pepper when I saw him & the visuals made it all happen! (Lay off the drug jokes) But to just listen to these at home, well you get the picture. Any suggestions on a nice one?
    Thanx

Thanks

Very nice show thank you.

Thanks

johan
    many thanks for this.
    one question (isn't there always!) I have a version of this called 'Final Version 1.00 Merge'
    You have noted Newport20 Merge - is this the same as 1.0?

Many thanks again for all your support to this site,
    firstrays

Den Haag, the Netherlands (or Holland = the same) [The Hague/La Haye]
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: 1969-06-20 Newport69 Vibratory Merge

for sharing this with the World !!

I haven't deleted any of my downloads. I'll always keep them in my list!

So, if anyone needs a seeder for this download, just send me a PM so I can start uploading!

Peace & Happiness

Glenn from the Netherlands

Thanks

Thanx

Thanks

I was just talking to a friend who was at the Sunday afternoon show. He still insists that Johnny Winter participated in the jam but that didn't happen did it?

Thanks

love this concert .listen to it since the vinyl days,a lot of different variations ,& improvisations.
    and now in merge stereo,gives it a new bigger dimension.thanks again,,

Thanks

Anyone else having problems downloading this one? I am :-(

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    I was just talking to a friend who was at the Sunday afternoon show. He still insists that Johnny Winter participated in the jam but that didn't happen did it?
    Nope. I don't remember him being there for the jam.
    He did play later that night.
    The only way I can remember who played when these days is by looking at the ad!
    The Sunday jam obviously isn't listed because it hadn't happened yet and was a surprise for everybody.
    Last edited by spencer1; 03-17-09 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks

Could some kind soul seed for me? Thanks in advance :-)

Thanks

Many thanks for the merge version! Never had it!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,076 Times in 632 Posts

During Foxy Lady, Jimi, who must have been completely fed up with the audience by then, sings: "You want to make me get up and . . . puke" and his guitar replies with a sound like *baaaarf*. I think that is a classic.

Despite all the frustration and anger, I like this concert a lot. Same with to Isle of Wight. Both depressing and amazing at the same time. Thanks for sharing.