Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - 1968-9-14 Hollywood Bowl 1st Gen. New Transfer

Thanks
    Thanked 4,198 Times in 202 Posts

Smile The Jimi Hendrix Experience - 1968-9-14 Hollywood Bowl 1st Gen. New Transfer

Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Hollywood Bowl
    Hollywood, CA
    1968-9-14

Aud 1st Gen

TDK MA-X90 - Technics RS T230 (With Azimuth Adjusted) - Soundblaster X-FI HD - Adobe Audition 3 - TLH Flac level 6

01 Intro
    02 Are You Experienced
    03 Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    04 Red House
    05 Foxy Lady
    06 Fire
    07 Hey Joe
    08 Sunshine Of Your Love
    09 I Don't Live Today
    10 Little Wing
    11 Star Spangled Banner
    12 Purple Haze

Thanks to Charlie (zombywoof57) for the tape.
    Transfer by Pat (hawkfan369)

Azimuth adjusted, new soundcard.
    Sounds great to me, should be an upgrade.
    Last edited by hawkfan369; 07-31-11 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks

Re: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - 1968-9-14 Hollywood Bowl 1st Gen. New Transfer

hallelujah! Thanks Hawk man! Thanks Charlie!
    Last edited by Voodoo Kush; 07-27-11 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks

Re: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - 1968-9-14 Hollywood Bowl 1st Gen. New Transfer

Many thanks.

Thanks

Thank you Pat and Charlie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovejimi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

is the quality, better, the same, worse?????? no comments on it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zombywoof57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 360 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof57 View Post
    is the quality, better, the same, worse?????? no comments on it?
    Its a lot better than any other version i've heard. Better than the old vinyl boot, better than the ATM disc, etc. Tina Turner said it: Simply the Best!

This transfer is also noticeably better than the previous one. So Thanks to Hawkfan369 too, for the extended effort.

Now if you could remember who you got this tape from, etc., theoretically, we could have a master tape transfer...no way of telling whether that (today) sounds any better though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    This transfer is also noticeably better than the previous one. ...
    which one specifically?
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 858 Posts

Keep up MS :-)
    We had an upgrade from Woofmans cassette THEN Pat forked out for a better sound card, twiddled his knobs and now we get an even better transfer ..................... not that I have had a chance to check it out as yet.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Keep up MS :-) ...
    I'm tryin' -

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think you are not getting responses because it is almost like comparing apples and oranges. There is no high frequency response on either transfer, ie there is almost nothing above 6k.
    The first transfer was done in mono and 44.1. The second was done in stereo and 48k. Has to be manually downsampled and really 48k is overkill for the frequency response of the recording. All that being said I am enjoying it and believe it is an upgrade but there is only so much that can be done with an audience recording of this vintage. Thanks for it!

jd

crazy_cat Guest

thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,003 Times in 858 Posts

When it comes to audience recordings we all know there is little we can do about quality other than get a low gen source to ensure we hear the best we can. The digital age ensures we get to hear / have this material in low gen in our own collection. So great thanks to collectors of a certain age and collectors who bother to get of backsides and collect.
    So that said we come to transfer to a digital format. Any transfer is ok but I'm happy, more than happy, when some good folk take time and even spend money on getting as good a transfer as possible. In doing so a better transfer is subjective of course. In this case we do hear a difference (if noit take it off the PC to disc and try a HiFi). The difference is clear but it's down to each individual if it's better. Ears are funny things, especially if your Wayne Rooney :-)
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 360 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    ... a better transfer is subjective of course. In this case we do hear a difference (if noit take it off the PC to disc and try a HiFi). The difference is clear but it's down to each individual if it's better.
    I totally agree. If you've been listening to 1 transfer/boot/version for 25 years, your brain may sometimes interpret a lower gen transfer as worse quality. Just because you're so used to the version you have listened to for 25 years. Sometimes a very low gen tape or even the master is much more 'hissy' than what we're used to. Etc.etc. Blah Blah Woof Woof. Anyway, Charlie, your tape rrrrrocks! Thanks!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimdavies111 View Post
    I think you are not getting responses because it is almost like comparing apples and oranges. There is no high frequency response on either transfer, ie there is almost nothing above 6k.
    The first transfer was done in mono and 44.1. The second was done in stereo and 48k.

jd

Note that you should not use 48 kHz as samplerate unless for the specific use of soundtrack for film.
    The resampling will cause (theoretical) inferior quality since the audio has to be resampled when converted to 44.1 kHz.
    Since the samples are "uneven" between the two samplerates, the calculator will have to take average between to samples for each cycle hence altering the audio signal.

Thanks

Thanks a lot Charlie for the Tape & Hawk for the excellent transfer. To my ears the best version by far.
    But as Johan rightfully pointed out "Beauty Lies In The Ear of The Beholder" !!!!!
    Love the soundblaster sound card though,using it myself as well. A tip for Hawk/Pat is combining it with the KX driver and mixer,because it enhances the sound quality even more!!! If you're interested send me a pm Pat. I might be able to get it to you.
    all the best,
    Thunderbaas

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thunderbaas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbaas View Post
    Thanks a lot Charlie for the Tape & Hawk for the excellent transfer. To my ears the best version by far.
    But as Johan rightfully pointed out "Beauty Lies In The Ear of The Beholder" !!!!!
    Love the soundblaster sound card though,using it myself as well. A tip for Hawk/Pat is combining it with the KX driver and mixer,because it enhances the sound quality even more!!! If you're interested send me a pm Pat. I might be able to get it to you.
    all the best,
    Thunderbaas
    good to know, and nice to hear from you again, Henk,,stay experienced

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zombywoof57 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karsten View Post
    Note that you should not use 48 kHz as samplerate unless for the specific use of soundtrack for film.
    The resampling will cause (theoretical) inferior quality since the audio has to be resampled when converted to 44.1 kHz.
    Since the samples are "uneven" between the two samplerates, the calculator will have to take average between to samples for each cycle hence altering the audio signal.
    thanks Karsten ,this talk only confuses me more, but to the more elite i'm sure it makes sense, but was the 2nd transfer done from the cassette tape, or from the 1st dub?, if not made from the tape, wouldn't that hurt the quality?

Thanks

Why is this torrent banned?

Thanks

No-one want to answer Uncle`s question?
    Coz I`d be interested to know too!
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

Thanks