Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: "Until We Meet Again : The Last Weeks Of Jimi Hendrix"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,981 Times in 849 Posts

Re: "Until We Meet Again : The Last Weeks Of Jimi Hendrix"

Oh yeah, great Rupe.
    Post 500 and we get a common sense post, spoil the whole thread why don't you :-)
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

What and if Jimi "saw something" in Monica is pure conjecture too. It's not common sense.
    He displayed some quite irrational and desperate behaviour on the European jaunt, proposing marriage to at least one other woman. He was by many accounts not in a good place emotionally. Perhaps he was afraid of being alone, perhaps he needed someone to listen to his woes. Perhaps he was too polite to brush her off quickly when/if he realized she wasn't a pleasant person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    What and if Jimi "saw something" in Monica is pure conjecture too. It's not common sense.
    He displayed some quite irrational and desperate behaviour on the European jaunt, proposing marriage to at least one other woman. He was by many accounts not in a good place emotionally. Perhaps he was afraid of being alone, perhaps he needed someone to listen to his woes. Perhaps he was too polite to brush her off quickly when/if he realized she wasn't a pleasant person.
    Jimi always expressed his desire to find his "other half". This idea is deeply rooted in Egyptian mythology, just like the concept of the First Rising Sun. Is there anyone who cares to discuss this (with me, hopefully amongs others) in a separate thread?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,585 Times in 1,982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by souldoggie View Post
    It's occured to me recently that "legal" drugs, prescribed or otherwise, seem to have killed more rock stars and celebrity's than illegal drugs have. And I count nicotine and alcohol as legal, of course.
    I know Janis died from heroin. And there are lots of those examples.
    But I'd like to see a list someday. Jimi, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Monroe (unless the CIA did her in like Jimi), Hank (as in Williams), from what I have read, Amy Winehouse, Keith Moon.
    Oh, nevermind, I've actually thought of more stars who have died en route. Car crashes, plane crashes, train crashes.
    Too many gifted musicians have died far too young. There, I got it off my chest.
    Pertinent observation on 'legal' drugs, sadly we can now also add Michael Jackson and Prince to the list. You missed Bon Scott. No doubt a few more could be added to the list.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Originally Posted by purple jim
    Don't forget that Monika Damnation told Kathy, Mitch and Noel (when they met her in Kathy's Ealing flat) that she gave Jimi some of her sleeping tablets. Not one or two but some.
    Monika went on to say that when they didn't work, she gave him some more!! "because they were very weak".

Says it all really. She administered the dose folks. By her own admission.
    She then of course tried to put the blame on the ambulance men, in order to divert the cause of death away from herself.

Monika told so many conflicting stories over the years. How do we know for certain what she allegedly said to Kathy, Mitch and Noel is the absolute truth?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 958 Posts

The Final Days of Jimi Hendrix - Book - By Tony Brown Page 152

It took steady probing to get the basic facts. 'I have been a skating champion in Germany,' she said. 'I had an accident, then an operation, with much pain. My prescription was in the flat. Vesparax pills.' Did you give them to him?' I asked. 'No, he must have found them in the cupboard.' How many did he take?' I don't know,' she said and started to cry. 'How many?' `They came in a packet of ten. I had not needed to open them.' I asked how many were left. She replied, 'One. Just one.' "She stopped crying to add, in a practical tone, 'They're very strong. My doctor told me never to take more than half of one.'

Waiting outside the hotel was a reporter, Egon F. Freiheit, from the German newspaper Bild. He noticed how distressed she was and offered to help her to find a taxi and to take her to wherever she wanted to go. While riding in the back of the taxi, Monika gave him an interview about the events of the past 24 hours. It goes without saying that Monika was relieved to find someone sympathetic with whom she could communicate in her own language, and because of his kindness she felt at ease talking to him. Nevertheless Freiheit was just another reporter in London doing his job who, on this occasion, had stumbled on a major exclusive, possibly the biggest story of his career. His interview was rushed back to Germany and published on September 24.

The Inquest under the damaging headline: "I Gave Jimi The Tablets". Monika was quoted as saying: "I loved him and Jimi loved me. He wanted to marry. We were already engaged. He had spoken a lot about that I should become his wife. Especially during the last few days .. . we looked forward to getting married. We already thought about how everything should be. I would then have designed the sleeves for his records."

Bild explained in his story that he met the former figure ice-skater as she was leaving a London hotel with her case and handbag and that the hotel was a hiding place chosen by Hendrix's friend Burdon. "Monika is disappointed by this so-called friend. When Monika came to reception they wanted to confiscate her luggage. Eric had not paid.

Then the blonde girl talks about the evening when Jimi Hendrix died: 'The intrigues of the people who he worked with finished him off. He could not sleep. So I gave him the tablets.' Monika is sure: `He died from that. No drugs were involved.' And about the many girls who he was supposed to have had? Monika: 'All a lie. I was the only one with whom he was together until the end. The whole time before the end of his life and that for every minute.' And now Monika only wants one thing: to forget. Her dead friend and the people who only pretended to be Jimi's friends."

Monika would later insist that she had never given this interview, and that the whole thing was made up by the newspaper. "There was one point where I gave an interview with somebody. I tried to get a taxi and this guy got the taxi for me I was all in tears at that time and while he said he would take care of me, get me where I needed to go, and I was so in tears, I couldn't bother about anything. He asked certain questions and he said he was a reporter. But I didn't answer because I was so tearful, I just couldn't. I thought it was horrible, when I realised I was sitting, crying next to a reporter. And he was from the Bild, I remember." However, the article was accompanied by a photograph of Jimi and Monika together which was taken during their first meeting in Dusseldorf in January 1969. This could only have been supplied by Monika herself at the time.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"One clue to what happened at The Samarkand was recounted by Jimi's friend Buzzy Linhart, who was in New York when he heard of Jimi's death. He went to Electric Lady Studios to find out more and received a phone call:

"I picked up the telephone on the receptionist's desk and it was Dolly Dagger (Devon Wilson) telling me I had to believe her. What she told me was that Jimi had called her the day or so before and told her that he had been up for days. He had talked to his doctor in New York City and the doctor said "You've got to get some sleep" - the doctor said "Do you want me to call in some sleeping pills for you to a doctor I know in London?" Jimi said" No, that's OK, there's Tuinols in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom here." They agreed that Jimi, having a great tolerance to this type of drug, would need to take 3 capsules. But this turned out to be the German Tuinols which were the EQUIVALENT of three a piece, so they turned out to have the potency of 9 capsules."

This is strange. If we are to take Devon's account as being factual, Jimi's doctor (no idea who that was) gave Jimi the go ahead to take three Tuinals. The doctor perhaps had only Jimi's word that the pills were Tuinals. There is the possibilty that Jimi in fact had German Vesparex in his hand but recognised their contents and simply called them Tuinals (which was the brand name he was familiar with). There is an assumption in the Linhart/Wilson account that 3 Tuinals was the equivalent of 9 Vesparex (which were very strong tablets, the normal dose being only half a tablet). Jimi's doctor would not have "prescribed" such a dose if it was so deadly. So did Jimi take more six more pills after the dose agreed with his doctor had little effect ?

It must be remembered that this whole "9 pills" thing comes only from Dannemann's statement that she had four boxes of 10 pills and that 9 were taken from one box. Danneman had even told Kathy Etchingham (when they first met at Kathy's house in the early 80s) that is was she who gave Jimi "some" of her Vesparex tablets and when they seemed to have no effect, she gave him some more ! She said she thought he had taken "about nine" and that the pills were "very weak"! However, Dannemann has since been totally discredited and we can not take anything she said seriously. So the amount of pills and exactly what type of pills were taken, remains unclear. Did the "barbiturates" found in his blood at the hospital represent the equivalent of 3 Tuinals plus the "sleepers" rumoured to have been taken at Cameron's home or 9 Vesparex taken at Dannemann's ? A confusing mystery. If Jimi took only 3 tablets, then we are far from a suicide attempt at least."

LINK - http://www.mountain-goats.com/forums...,163202,163202

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    "One clue to what happened at The Samarkand was recounted by Jimi's friend Buzzy Linhart, who was in New York when he heard of Jimi's death. He went to Electric Lady Studios to find out more and received a phone call:

"I picked up the telephone on the receptionist's desk and it was Dolly Dagger (Devon Wilson) telling me I had to believe her. What she told me was that Jimi had called her the day or so before and told her that he had been up for days. He had talked to his doctor in New York City and the doctor said "You've got to get some sleep" - the doctor said "Do you want me to call in some sleeping pills for you to a doctor I know in London?" Jimi said" No, that's OK, there's Tuinols in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom here." They agreed that Jimi, having a great tolerance to this type of drug, would need to take 3 capsules. But this turned out to be the German Tuinols which were the EQUIVALENT of three a piece, so they turned out to have the potency of 9 capsules."

This is strange. If we are to take Devon's account as being factual, Jimi's doctor (no idea who that was) gave Jimi the go ahead to take three Tuinals. The doctor perhaps had only Jimi's word that the pills were Tuinals. There is the possibilty that Jimi in fact had German Vesparex in his hand but recognised their contents and simply called them Tuinals (which was the brand name he was familiar with). There is an assumption in the Linhart/Wilson account that 3 Tuinals was the equivalent of 9 Vesparex (which were very strong tablets, the normal dose being only half a tablet). Jimi's doctor would not have "prescribed" such a dose if it was so deadly. So did Jimi take more six more pills after the dose agreed with his doctor had little effect ?

It must be remembered that this whole "9 pills" thing comes only from Dannemann's statement that she had four boxes of 10 pills and that 9 were taken from one box. Danneman had even told Kathy Etchingham (when they first met at Kathy's house in the early 80s) that is was she who gave Jimi "some" of her Vesparex tablets and when they seemed to have no effect, she gave him some more ! She said she thought he had taken "about nine" and that the pills were "very weak"! However, Dannemann has since been totally discredited and we can not take anything she said seriously. So the amount of pills and exactly what type of pills were taken, remains unclear. Did the "barbiturates" found in his blood at the hospital represent the equivalent of 3 Tuinals plus the "sleepers" rumoured to have been taken at Cameron's home or 9 Vesparex taken at Dannemann's ? A confusing mystery. If Jimi took only 3 tablets, then we are far from a suicide attempt at least."

LINK - http://www.mountain-goats.com/forums...,163202,163202
    I'm afraid that this story is not correct. Wasn't Devon in London with Alan Douglas at the time? I'm not sure.

Thanks

Linhart says he received the info in a phone call. The phone call could have been from London.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    Linhart says he received the info in a phone call. The phone call could have been from London.
    I remember reading on the internet years ago an interview with Linhart where he said that Devon was pregnant of Jimi. Unfortunately I can't track this interview right now. Anybody else? I'll keep searching. Anyways, I don't believe this to be correct either.
    Last edited by kees1954; 1 Week Ago at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Actually it was posted here: http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...lks-About-Jimi

The quote was posted by yourself Robbie

The baby was Jagger's not Jimi's.
    I really doubt this to be true.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    Actually it was posted here: http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthr...lks-About-Jimi

The quote was posted by yourself Robbie

The baby was Jagger's not Jimi's.
    I really doubt this to be true.
    Posted August 2014. Didn't remember it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Through Gypsy Eyes - 1998 Book - By Kathy Etchingham Page 174

(1981) There was more about me, and then he started to talk about Monika Danneman, the girl who had been with Jimi on the night he died. I had never heard of her until I read her name in the papers the day after Jimi died, and I still knew nothing about her eleven years later. The author was virtually accusing her of causing Jimi's death through neglect and not doing anything for him in his final hours. Both of us white women, it seemed, were guilty of corrupting Jimi and leading him to his doom. I knew I had to do something about this book and I wondered if Monika Danneman felt the same. I decided I would try to talk to her about it, but since no one I knew had ever had any contact with her I was not sure how to set about finding her.

I decided to put a small advertisement in the Evening Standard, London's main daily paper, asking her to contact me at a box number. The ad appeared and a few days later I received a letter from a firm of solicitors telling me that they represented Miss Monika Danneman and that she had asked them to write to confirm that I was who I said I was in the ad. I did so, asking if she knew about the book and whether she intended to do anything about it. Monika then made contact personally and said she would like to meet me. I invited her to our house in Ealing for a meeting with Noel and Mitch, who also wanted to talk about the book and the things it said about all of us.

Noel and Mitch arrived at the house first and we were all in the front room with the children, looking out of the window, when a taxi drew up in the road outside. All three of us stared in disbelief at the vision that emerged from the cab and paid the driver. The woman was dressed in an extraordinary pastiche of Jimi's style, even though over a decade had passed since his death and the fashions of the sixties had been relegated to the history books and were now generally regarded with ridicule. She was wearing crushed velvet bell-bottoms, a big hipster belt and a sort of frilly shirt with Tom Jones sleeves. She looked like a leftover from the sixties. She was the thinnest person I had ever seen. We chatted politely while she told us how Jimi died.

As we sat round the dining table at one end of the sitting room, she took out a tape recorder and asked if she could record our conversation because her English was not very good and it would help her to be able to replay it later. 'I will make two recordings,' she promised, 'and I will give you a copy.' It didn't seem an unreasonable request if her English was that bad. Noel, Mitch and I sat open-mouthed as she spoke, in her ponderous German accent, about the neglectful ambulance men and racist doctors who had, between them, killed Jimi.

She told us how Jimi had been having trouble sleeping in her basement room at the private Samarkand Hotel in Notting Hill Gate and how she gave him some of her German sleeping pills (Vesparax). When they didn't work she gave him some more because 'they were very weak'. She said she thought he had taken about nine of the tablets in all. She claimed that she called an ambulance when she couldn't wake him in the morning. When she was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital she had seen the paramedic sitting Jimi upright, letting his head loll forward, when he should have lain him down. When they reached the hospital, she said, the doctors ignored Jimi because he was black and he died sitting in a sort of dentist's chair. The doctor who was in charge of the case, she announced, was incompetent and racist. Noel, Mitch and I sat in stunned silence for a while. It was a shocking story. If it was true, and we had no reason to doubt this woman's word, then there had been at worst a blatant cover-up by the authorities and at best an appallingly mismanaged inquest.
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 1 Week Ago at 09:20 AM.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 649 Posts

So, where is the tape?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Monica probably lied and never gave Kathy a copy, and Uli Roth probably doesn't know about the tape or where it is.

Thanks

Kathy: "I had never heard of her until I read her name in the papers the day after Jimi died"

Yet Kathy has stated she bumped into Jimi and Monica at Kensington Market on the day before he died, and said Jimi asked her to come by for a visit. Since Jimi was very polite, isn't it likely Jimi would have have introduced the person he was with to Kathy when they met that day with a "oh, and this is Monica"?

Kathy: "he was with that blonde chick".

25. The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Actually, I believe she said she spot him at Kensington market from a distance. Jimi didn't see her and they didn't meet or talk. Just a detail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezy Rider View Post
    Actually, I believe she said she spot him at Kensington market from a distance. Jimi didn't see her and they didn't meet or talk. Just a detail.
    Kathy has stated he invited her to stop by and visit, but she never went. So she didn't just see him from a distance. She has stated she has always regretted not going, because it may have changed how things turned out.

Thanks

It should be somewhere in this thread (good luck!), but I already posted Kathy's contradicting statements on this supposed encounter at Kensington market, I remember. The first one that she didn't meet, and the second, later one that she hugged him etc.

Thanks

Kathy was already well aware of Monika in Feb/March of 1969 as Jimi was seeing both women at the same time then. Jimi and Monika hung out at the Speak a couple of nights, and it is likely that Kathy was aware of this, either by noticing herself or being told by friends. Monika's presence was left out in Kathy's book, which says enough.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enemal For This Useful Post: