Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimi Hendrix - Honolulu 1970-08-01 "Cleanup" V2 - "Definitive Edition" by FD

Thanks
    Thanked 3,509 Times in 285 Posts

Jimi Hendrix - Honolulu 1970-08-01 "Cleanup" V2 - "Definitive Edition" by FD

Hey Folks

This is my second shot at Honolulu, and it is much better than my first. I can't get this to sound any better, although I hope you'll agree it is a lot cleaner than previous incarnations.
    I have also uploaded as a 320kbps MP3 here:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8ZJVUHI9
    ...although given that the source was WMV...its perhaps best to get the FLAC that has not been recompressed.
    Any feedback/comments gratefully received...

FD

Jimi Hendrix - Honolulu 1970-08-01

Funky Drummer "Cleanup" Version 2 - "Definitive Edition"

Linegae EH WMA - Fairy Dust - FLAC

1 Straight Ahead
    2 Ezy Ryder
    3 Hey Baby
    4 Spanish Castle Magic
    5 Red House (partial)

************************************************** ********************************

First of all I will replicate a discussion posted by johanincr, so people are aware of the limitations of the source of the recording of this show.
    The lineage has been discussed on CTT by johanincr (as follows - edited

This show was partially recorded and surfaced in WMA format in early 2006.

It turned up on the EH site in Real Audio format, another lossy conversion....

The original recording had a 'echo from the future' in the left channel, since the recording itself appears to be mono this channel was dropped in the edit version.

1 Straight Ahead
    2 Ezy Ryder
    3 Hey Baby
    4 Spanish Castle Magic
    5 Red House

I think this was one of the best concerts of 1970.
    Jimi appears to be in a very good mood which is reflected in his playing. Finally, an audience that doesnt scream for 'Wild Thing/Foxy Lady/Purple Haze/burn that guitar Jimi!'
    inbetween all songs. This version of Hey Baby is -afaik- the only live version that has a intro and an ending, its not the usual ending where it would be a medley with the next song - or drum solo.

So, the show is really good, the audio really isnt.

************************************************** *********************************

FUNKY DRUMMER - WHAT I DID

This is my second attempt at cleaning up the partial recording of this show. The results are the best that I am capable of...
    Spent many hours experimenting with this clean up, to find the best and "least intrusive" method of cleaning up...
    Basically I downloaded a torrent of original FLAC saved WMA source that has been floating around online via EH site...
    The source will never be good, but starting as WMA is pretty bad...alas...

What is known about this tape is the "ghosting" that occurs - where you can hear other distracting sections of the tape playing at random times and growing increasingly persistent...The first two songs Straight Ahead and Ezy Ryder are not too bad at all, and I used both channels...
    Unlike last time, this time I also *mainly* used both channels for Hey Baby, just flicking over to mono when the ghosting got too distracting...
    Reason why I did so, is because the one channel version do cut out audio info, and so I wanted to keep as much as possible...
    So this Hey Baby is a hybrid
    Spanish Castle Magic and Red House - I had to use only the right channel due to the distracting echo/ghosting problem.

As previously - the results are the best you can get with a flawed source, and I think the first three sound best...
    I grant that it may not be to everyone's tastes - but again, I try to treat the tapes with taste - so the listening experience is at least better than previous incarnations...
    Hope you agree...

Regards
    Funky Drummer

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix - Honolulu 1970-08-01 "Cleanup" V2 - "Definitive Edition" by FD

Thanks a lot for the upgrade !

Thanks

Re: Jimi Hendrix - Honolulu 1970-08-01 "Cleanup" V2 - "Definitive Edition" by FD

Thank you!

Thanks

I'm hearing things I didn't hear before. Thnks alot!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    I'm hearing things I didn't hear before. Thnks alot!
    Thanks for the feedback! I really like this show...so I wanted to do the best I could with it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

thnx man, it's d-loading now, it'll be nice to hear

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof57 View Post
    thnx man, it's d-loading now, it'll be nice to hear
    thanks for your effort...really enjoy all the extra work making some of these shows better to my ears

Thanks

thank you for taking the time and effort to re-do this wonderful little set!!!!

Thanks

grabbing it! thanks a lot dude!

Thanks

Love this period for Jimi, thanks for the effort!

Thanks

Thanks for the effort.
    Just two questions.
    Are the files on EH site now streamed in WMA format?
    Or you know for a fact from some reliable source unknown to me that EH actually had the files in (lossy) WMA format,
    converted them to another lossy format (mp3) to play them that way on their site?
    As far as I can remember, after re-design of the site couple of years ago, all files on www.jimihendrix.com are in mp3
    and on the old version of the site they were in RealAudio format (Real Player Audio) - Johanincr explained that quite clearly.
    Even Flacs that are traded around are converted from WMA files (the tapers never sent out lossless version).
    So, is that just an assumption in the lineage (EH WMA - Fairy Dust - Flac) or you know something I do not?
    Thanks.

Thanks

I was at this show, although there's no way I'm gonna remember too much about it other than Jimi breaking a string and then throwing the guitar to a roadie. We were in the loges, stage right and a little behind so had a clear view of the throw and his face (...Jimi was not too happy). Mahalo from Hawaii.

Thanks

Edit: Excuse me, I double posted...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hbpackers View Post
    I was at this show, although there's no way I'm gonna remember too much about it other than Jimi breaking a string and then throwing the guitar to a roadie. We were in the loges, stage right and a little behind so had a clear view of the throw and his face (...Jimi was not too happy). Mahalo from Hawaii.
    Wow! Do you remember any of the setlist? This would be awesome...

Thanks

W
    Quote Originally Posted by Makkinen View Post
    Thanks for the effort.
    Just two questions.
    Are the files on EH site now streamed in WMA format?
    Or you know for a fact from some reliable source unknown to me that EH actually had the files in (lossy) WMA format,
    converted them to another lossy format (mp3) to play them that way on their site?
    As far as I can remember, after re-design of the site couple of years ago, all files on www.jimihendrix.com are in mp3
    and on the old version of the site they were in RealAudio format (Real Player Audio) - Johanincr explained that quite clearly.
    Even Flacs that are traded around are converted from WMA files (the tapers never sent out lossless version).
    So, is that just an assumption in the lineage (EH WMA - Fairy Dust - Flac) or you know something I do not?
    Thanks.
    They are sourced from WMA - the same "originals" that are torrented here by Johanincr (along with his edits). The Honolulu show to my knowledge was only ever available as WMA. Honolulu show is no longer streamed at EH site...don't know why, when lots of previous shows they had are. I used the original unedited set to complete this remaster.

Thanks

Wow indeed...you don't know anyone who taped any of it do you?

Thanks

Thanks for your work! Does anyone know the story behind this recording? I believe it was two brothers who recorded it, but I wonder why only 25 minutes and how it got into circulation. There is a story floating around that someone else (another source) recorded this show with a c-120 tape and the show was so long the tape ran out...the tape was lent out and then vanished..or so the story goes. Who knows if it's true. Nice to have these 5 tunes at least :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
    Thanks for your work! Does anyone know the story behind this recording? I believe it was two brothers who recorded it, but I wonder why only 25 minutes and how it got into circulation. There is a story floating around that someone else (another source) recorded this show with a c-120 tape and the show was so long the tape ran out...the tape was lent out and then vanished..or so the story goes. Who knows if it's true. Nice to have these 5 tunes at least :-)
    I only wish I knew! Any info about this show is great to have, although I do wonder about the c-120 story...I am happy to be corrected but I didn't realise they were making c-120s in 1970? That aside, we live in hope for the full tape to emerge...I guess the truncated one is now in the ownership of EH...although why it is no longer streamed I don't know?

Thanks

THANK YEW! LUV DEM TEWNS
    MUSICAL GREATNESS IS DEAD! mike 2010

Thanks

"Although this recording is incomplete, tapers Jim and Bill Worthley managed to preserve "Straight Ahead," "Ezy Ryder," "Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)," "Spanish Castle Magic," and the majority of "Red House" before the tape runs out."