Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The Death Of Devon Wilson

Thanks

Re: The Death Of Devon Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by danksquad View Post

According to the article, one of the reasons Jimi had the security camera installed was because he did not want Devon to interfere with his sessions. So when Devon would show up, if they saw her on the security camera, they simply would not let her in and she'd be left standing out on 8th street. The article seems to imply that Devon had become somewhat of a burden or an annoyance to Jimi in mid to late 1970, and that Jimi was trying to distance himself from her.
    Really? She was very much in evidence at the Berkley show (May 1970), he paid for her vacation to Jamaica (July 1970) , she was at Randall's Island (July 1970) and she was with him the night/morning of his death (Sept. 1970). The Hendrix/Wilson dynamic was explosive "break up to make up" seems to be their theme, so they may have been on the outs by late 1970 it doesn't mean they were over as a couple. Jimi wouldn't be shy about telling Devon to leave there were plenty of women he had abused in the past (Fayne, Kathy, etc) that could attest to that.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackIrish55 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was able to find the article here:

http://www.guitarworld.com/was-jimi-...ell-and-angels

FYI --- They make you watch a very short commercial before letting you read the article. It's very long, so here is the excerpt of some of the Devon Wilson content.

“There were certainly other women in his life, but I think Devon was the one,” McDermott says. “She was the one who was fascinating to him, in terms of personality, obviously her beauty and also her outlook. It was a very passionate relationship between her and Jimi, but it wasn’t always steady. She was fiercely protective of him, in a certain way. I’m told by friends that she always thought she was advocating for Jimi and his best interest. Although, when Jimi built his own studio, Electric Lady, one of the things they did—and something she was very much in favor of—was put a closed-circuit camera on the door so they could see who was trying to buzz their way in. And there were many nights when Jimi would see Devon at the door and not let her in. He didn’t want the drama. But what person doesn’t go through that in that kind of relationship?”

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 658 Posts

Interesting then to consider that Hendrix had Dolly Dagger and Ezy Rider played on the opening party of Electric Lady Studios (wasn't Dolly Dagger also the new, prospected single?). He also included Dolly Dagger in the setlist of some of his later shows in the Cry of Love tour. She even flew to London making a row with/over Monika?

Maybe Hendrix's way of standing up to Devon (and drugs?), a kind of musical therapy?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackIrish55 View Post
    Really? She was very much in evidence at the Berkley show (May 1970), he paid for her vacation to Jamaica (July 1970) , she was at Randall's Island (July 1970) and she was with him the night/morning of his death (Sept. 1970). The Hendrix/Wilson dynamic was explosive "break up to make up" seems to be their theme, so they may have been on the outs by late 1970 it doesn't mean they were over as a couple. Jimi wouldn't be shy about telling Devon to leave there were plenty of women he had abused in the past (Fayne, Kathy, etc) that could attest to that.
    I think you should ask Mick Jagger who is the boss

In fact the song Dolly Dagger is exactly about this very personality trait of Devon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

... According to the article, one of the reasons Jimi had the security camera installed was because he did not want Devon to interfere with his sessions. ...
    Hendrix may have certainly used the camera to intercept Devon on occasion but I doubt it was a 'reason' for it's installation. I even have reservations that the camera was Hendrix's idea to start with, unless a quote from him is out there regarding it. Hendrix was known for laid-back, do-your-thing, live-and-let-live, 'peace-love-and all that other bullshit', and installing security cameras, in that era, smacked of paranoia, cloak-and-dagger, black helicopter stuff. If Hendrix did request a 'security camera', it could have been for reasons best discussed in the Conspiracy forum. Oh wait, we are in said forum ... carry on!

"Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Unhappy Re: The Death Of Devon Wilson

“There were certainly other women in his life, but I think Devon was the one,” McDermott says. “She was the one who was fascinating to him, in terms of personality, obviously her beauty and also her outlook. It was a very passionate relationship between her and Jimi, but it wasn’t always steady.

Yeah, we've heard already, sigh

She was fiercely protective of him, in a certain way. I’m told by friends that she always thought she was advocating for Jimi and his best interest.
    "I'm told by friends" what tosh, Jim Marron and Kramer have stated this quite clearly in interviews.

Although, when Jimi built his own studio, Electric Lady, one of the things they did was put a closed-circuit camera on the door so they could see who was trying to buzz their way in.
    Oh, really

something she was very much in favor of
    According to who?

And there were many nights when Jimi would see Devon at the door and not let her in. He didn’t want the drama.

Dermott over stepping the mark with his "many nights", "some" (allegedly, if it ever happened ) is what I have seen quoted previously by Kim King (from whom this tale appears to spring from ), how reliable is that even. That's all the Devon stuff. The article is full of flaws, basically just puff. It's only McD's opinion. None of it is attributed to anyone, so it should be taken with the proverbial pinch.

And as for Rocky Isaacs, talk about milking it to death, what a load (it gie me da boak! A wid stoat heis coupon aff a wa!)

To me it's just pish, like all that shit about the, later, "spaceship" interior, it was only installed well after Jimi's death, and could have been ordered anytime, Jimi always showed artistic and low key taste, he was an accomplished artist who painted and drew, had strong, (self) educated ideas about design, photography as well as playing, writing, managing, enabling others - no way would he have approved. It's in-your-face tasteless Jeffery (but he's no different from the general taste[LESS] of ex-new-"hippies" who made cash out of it, ie yippie beasts "connoisseurs" through the 70's until the 'punks' briefly detroyed the beast in 79) acid fantasy, it's all "Rainbow Bridge" '70's (yuppie) 'trippy', crass, 'airbrush art' with tits pish.
    Last edited by stplsd; 06-10-13 at 02:14 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Betty Davis (Mabry) wrote Steppin' in her I Miller Shoes as a remembrance to Devon, it's the only real documented comment available about her passing I believe:-

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=U...0lyrics&f=true

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pali Gap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

"Steppin' In Her I. Miller Shoes", tells the story of a talented
    young woman who comes to the 'jungle' with big dreams,
    only to end up a tragic victim of the entertainment industry.
    The up-tempo song features hard rock guitars and backing
    vocals by The Pointer Sisters. In a 2007 interview Davis revealed
    that the song was based on the life of Devon Wilson, a one-time
    girlfriend of Jimi Hendrix with whom Davis had been close friends.
    Wilson is also the subject of "Angel" by Hendrix.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Davis_(album)
    ----
    Steppin in her I Miller shoes(studio)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5HM5fmpMbU
    (from some of the lyrics)
    STEPPIN' HIGH IN HER I MILLER SHOES,
    SHE COULDA BEEN ANYTHING THAT SHE WANTED, TRULY FINE......
    FROM HER HEAD DOWN TO HER TOES, INSTEAD SHE BECAME NOTHING'......
    SHE WAS A BLACK DIAMOND QUEEN,
    THE ( ? ) WROTE SONGS ABOUT HER,
    SHE CAME TO THE JUNGLE FROM MILWAUKEE,
    STEPPING IN HER I MILLER SHOES'...............
    ----
    I MILLER refers to a high class kind of platform shoes that were
    popular on the street around the early 70s
    ----
    I Miller shoes ad(drawing by Andy Warhol)
    Attachment 23400
    http://www.thehistorialist.com/2011/...hoes-lost.html

----
    On Betty Davis

While jazz fans cite the low-flying blast of Miles Davis’ horn riding down Electric Avenue in the 1970′s as a pivotal period in Black music, few folks are really down with the man’s greatest inspiration on the road to fusion. However, when scenester Betty Mabry swooped down on him in a silent way while shaking her bitches brew in 1966, she lit a fire under the king of cool. Marrying dude two years later, during their time together Betty introduced him to her homeboys Jimi Hendrix and Sly Stone as well as a whole other world of funk and fashion. Yet, while she had been both model and muse to the brilliant trumpeter, it wasn’t until after their divorce in 1969 that the newly named Betty Davis was able to step outside of Miles’ musical shadow and do her own thing.

Beginning her career as a songwriter, she wrote Uptown for the Chambers Brothers and later penned some funky songs that the Commodores recorded for the demo that got them signed to Motown Records. Yet, when Berry Gordy told Davis she’d have to sell her publishing as well, she took the songs back and decided to record them herself. Coming out at a time when everyone except Tina Turner was still wearing supper club approved sequined dresses, Betty Davis opted to be as raunchy as she wanted to be. Beginning with her self-titled 1973 joint featuring bassist Larry Graham, drummer Greg Errico (both veterans of Sly & the Family Stone), as well as background singers the Pointer Sisters and Sylvester, this chick was raw like sushi. As Betty wailed aggressively on If I’m in Luck I Might Get Picked Up and Game is my Middle Name, this North Carolina native was aurally opening doors for the future of fem-funk. Everyone from LaBelle to Chaka Khan, Joi to Santigold owes her a little credit. The following year, in 1974, her sophomore disc They Say I’m Different included the rousing title track as well the gutbucket anthem He Was a Big Freak. In 1975, Davis released the equally impressive Nasty Gal album, but after her last album, recorded for Island Records, was shelved in 1979, Davis walked away from the spotlight.
    ----
    J.L. - 'fem-funk'....lol....I never heard that term before
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 07-15-14 at 02:07 AM.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post: