Thread: Band Of Gypsys - Bob Terry Tape #17

Thanks
    Thanked 4,191 Times in 202 Posts

Band Of Gypsys - Bob Terry Tape #17

Band Of Gypsys
    Fillmore East, New York City, NY
    1969-12-31
    Bob Terry Tape # 17

Denon HD6/90 - Denon DN770R - Soundblaster X-FI HD - Adobe Audition 3 - TLH Flac level 5

01 Power Of Soul *
    02 Lover Man *
    03 Hear My Train A Comin' *
    04 Them Changes *
    05 Machine Gun **
    06 Power Of Soul (cut) **

* 12-31-69 1st Show
    ** 12-31-69 2nd Show

This tape originated from Bob Terry

Thanks to Charlie (zombywoof57) for the tape.
    Transfer by Pat (hawkfan369)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: Band Of Gypsys - Bob Terry Tape #17

Thanks again guys
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

if this is an upgrade maybe manfree can splice it into a complete version?

Thanks

Thank you!

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Band Of Gypsys - Bob Terry Tape #17

Thanks so much Pat & Charlie for these great Bob Terry tapes!

Thanks

Thanks to Pat and Charlie for this.
    Fantastic audio quality on this tape, Billy Cox's bass is so clear.

Thanks

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! A Bob Terry BOG tape? It's Christmas for me today. Thanks again for sharing your wealth!

Thanks

Thanks a lot!

Thanks

Anyone know if this cassette is sourced from the legendary soundboard recording of this show? The sound is different from Rev. Box of G's and the Fillmore. I'm all about this recording of Hear my Train. Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJeff View Post
    Anyone know if this cassette is sourced from the legendary soundboard recording of this show? The sound is different from Rev. Box of G's and the Fillmore. I'm all about this recording of Hear my Train. Enquiring minds want to know!
    Re-listened and compared. If this isn't copied from soundboard it might as well be. So impressive. Hear My Train blows Berkeley out of the water and all it needs is audience for fullness. For the love of all that is holy someone with computer skills please do themselves, Jimi, and this community a great service and merge this with the Fillmore East track

Thanks

^ +1
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Re-listened and compared. If this isn't copied from soundboard it might as well be. So impressive. Hear My Train blows Berkeley out of the water and all it needs is audience for fullness. For the love of all that is holy someone with computer skills please do themselves, Jimi, and this community a great service and merge this with the Fillmore East track
    Berkeley is the best version, but this Fillmore one might be number two. Buddy Miles fit this song.

Thanks

Well, I love 98% of Hendrix songs I hear and my opinion differs. I don't even like hearing Berkeley and after a few minutes need to turn it off. I've seen other people on here make similar statements about Berkeley so I know I'm not alone and it's a taste thing. It's awesome and outrageous and no joy to listen to whatsoever for me. Never get into it, never feel the notes, hate the style. Too harsh and electric. Yet every little note in Fillmore tugs at my heart strings. I don't like most metal music either. Yet I think Machine Gun is as good as it gets. To each his own it seems

Thanks

Well, I love 98% of Hendrix songs I hear and my opinion differs. I don't even like hearing Berkeley and after a few minutes need to turn it off. I've seen other people on here make similar statements about Berkeley so I know I'm not alone and it's a taste thing. It's awesome and outrageous and no joy to listen to whatsoever for me. Never get into it, never feel the notes, hate the style. Too harsh and electric. Yet every little note in Fillmore tugs at my heart strings. I don't like most metal music either. Yet I think Machine Gun is as good as it gets. To each his own it seems
    Hmmm... Nice to see other opinions as I tend to have some against the grain too. In this case sorry but I have to side with the Berkeley camp. The Berkeley Hear my train is like running water just friggin' beautiful as is most of both Berkeley shows but that Hear My Train is one of Jimi's zeniths. A Hear My Train I can't stand is 2-18-1969 and that is the only song from the show that has a general SBD circulation. That one is friggin scary. There are a lot of parts of of 2-18-1969 show I like though and feel the show itself is an overly maligned show in general. There were some really cool parts to that show.

Thanks

Yeah I think most people will pick Berkeley. The whole thing is like a triumphant soundgasm to me. I can't stand it. I want the real blues flair, the subtle emotion, the suspense and buildups so intense you get anxious before the release. I wouldnt want little wings climax toyed with over and over, I want that moment of perfection. I'd like to be able to skip to any part of the song and just pick up on the story. I'm sure many people would feel I'm describing Berkeley here anyway. That all being said the main thing is the sound. Berkeley just doesn't hit that sweet spot for me. No beauty there for me. Same for metal music. Go figure. Maybe in another phase of my life I'll hear it differently

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 181 Posts

Yeah I think most people will pick Berkeley. The whole thing is like a triumphant soundgasm to me. I can't stand it. I want the real blues flair, the subtle emotion, the suspense and buildups so intense you get anxious before the release. I wouldnt want little wings climax toyed with over and over, I want that moment of perfection. I'd like to be able to skip to any part of the song and just pick up on the story. I'm sure many people would feel I'm describing Berkeley here anyway. That all being said the main thing is the sound. Berkeley just doesn't hit that sweet spot for me. No beauty there for me. Same for metal music. Go figure. Maybe in another phase of my life I'll hear it differently
    Very nice discussion: a topic in itself. When Rainbow Bridge came out in 1971 I was totally mesmerized by Train. At the time there were lots of comments that Jimi played a "Johnny Winter" style song, we just didnít know Jimi playing a long blues like this. The long version of Voodoo Chile on ELL had a different feel (not really a straight forward blues like most of Jonny Winter's; which I love as well I should say), and we didn't know stretched out versions of Catfish Blues (the only one available at the time was the BBC Experience The Blues on the Live Experience '67-'68 bootleg). So many years later I would say that the Berkeley version transcends the blues, most of the interplay between Jimi and Mitch is abstract like John Coltrane and Elvin Jones, simply amazing. I love the versions Jimi did with Buddy too: VERY VERY heavy! That goes for the Fillmore performance as well as the Record Plant version of May 22, 1969. This is even more intense. I once heard a different mix of this song with Jerry Velez on congas. Certainly an unreleased gem I would love to hear in its full glory on a future Experience Hendrix release. BTW: during the first show on Jan. 1, 1970 the Gypsys did another Train performance, maybe the only one of all the songs the Gypsys played, we haven't heard till yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    Very nice discussion: a topic in itself. When Rainbow Bridge came out in 1971 I was totally mesmerized by Train. At the time there were lots of comments that Jimi played a "Johnny Winter" style song, we just didnít know Jimi playing a long blues like this. The long version of Voodoo Chile on ELL had a different feel (not really a straight forward blues like most of Jonny Winter's; which I love as well I should say), and we didn't know stretched out versions of Catfish Blues (the only one available at the time was the BBC Experience The Blues on the Live Experience '67-'68 bootleg). So many years later I would say that the Berkeley version transcends the blues, most of the interplay between Jimi and Mitch is abstract like John Coltrane and Elvin Jones, simply amazing. I love the versions Jimi did with Buddy too: VERY VERY heavy! That goes for the Fillmore performance as well as the Record Plant version of May 22, 1969. This is even more intense. I once heard a different mix of this song with Jerry Velez on congas. Certainly an unreleased gem I would love to hear in its full glory on a future Experience Hendrix release. BTW: during the first show on Jan. 1, 1970 the Gypsys did another Train performance, maybe the only one of all the songs the Gypsys played, we haven't heard till yet.
    Thanks for your well-informed opinions, Kees. Let's hope more Trains turn up on future EH releases.
    I can kind of understand the opinion that the Berkeley version is too sprawling, but to me it's clear that every note of that performance comes from inside the man; it's soulful music, not showboating.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    Very nice discussion: a topic in itself. .
    Indeed, some of the most interesting comments on the board.
    Thank you all.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Thank you very much !!!

Thanks

I third that! Thanks for the tidbits, Kees. I LOVE the Gypsys and it would be something to hear yet another tune from 01-Jan-70 (especially HMT, one of my favs) and the Record Plant version unaltered. McDermott has been touting the virtues of the RP version since Sessions was published! I wonder why they've held onto it for so long without putting it out on a compilation?