Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machine Gun

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Re: Machine Gun

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Yup. Just listened to Little Miss Lover from Toronto. He remembers the first verse but not the second so he makes up a new one on the spot.

Why should he have forgotten it? He's not singing it as a complete song it's just a snippet inserted into Spanish Castle Magic, like he does with other songs, especially at this show - listen to Room Full Of Mirrors, it's got bits of Gypsy Eyes, Midnight Lightnin', the Stones' 'What A Shame', a verse about 'a girl named Sue' etc! He's more likely just ad-libbing/jamming as he often did
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,463 Times in 733 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Berkekey 1st set:

Over yonder stands a woman, _____ing bones to the son to fight your war, but I'm her lover, I'm her lover and we don't make no child to fight in any a yall's wars... so let your bullets fly like rain....
    Attachment 15711

http://jpio.weebly.com/uploads/2/7/5...r_1st_show.rtf

Attachment 15712Attachment 15713

'sewin' clothes' makes perfect sense to me.....
    If you are a 'peasant/farmer/etc.'...and a war is going thru your country(Vietnam)....you are on one side or the other whether you like it or not...
    the woman(mother) is sewing clothes(a makeshift uniform) because that is all she can do to try and provide some clothing for here son(s) to wear...this was very common during the US Civil War... the Southern States didn't have many resources to 'out fit' their troops...most had home made uniforms and the common weapons they used everyday.
    just as the 'farmer' is going to grab anything he has(axe) to defend himself and family, protect what little is his....
    I'm not claiming these are definitive lyrics or anything of the sort....just posting a few things I came across and my own interpretation of these particular versions of Machine Gun....
    To me the versions vary as to when and where he played them....
    for ex: the Fillmore East(BOG) seems to be a 'wail of sadness' in there...
    whereas say Isle of Wight has a 'hard edge' to it and I detect 'anger and frustration' in that version.
    I don't pick up any kind of 'sadness' to it at all....but this also may be 'cause of Mitchells' more military style drummer behind it...
    Now these Berkeley versions(to me) seem to come off as more of a 'political awareness statement'...or something of the sort.
    Like he's pissed about it, and gettin' tired that nothing is being dome about it.
    the reference to 'general' sure sounds like a 'political' stab to me.
    J.L.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    I came to this page to post this:

Thanks for the scan and link pj.

'Who influenced Jimi?' thread, 03-01-09:

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    068. Machine Gun - The Riptides 1959
    A surf instrumental and Billboard chart entry not mentioned by anyone, interesting? I think so. BOG reheasals (where Machine Gun was eventually defined), Jimi and Buddy: “And you’ll never hear surf music again ha-ha-ha”

After the 1967 session which ends with Jimi's spoken "Then youl'll never hear surf Music again" he says "That sounds like a lie to me" and Chas bursts out laughing.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Here's one: what does Jimi say to Buddy on the "Band Of Gypsys" version at the end? "Drums settle down"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Kush View Post
    Here's one: what does Jimi say to Buddy on the "Band Of Gypsys" version at the end? "Drums settle down"?
    I hear "No bullets, no bombs ......... thats what we don't want to hear"

Thanks

Ah! No, watch the footage right before Buddy drops out at the end, Jimi says something to him and he stops playing... and then he comes back in on the hi-hats and ruins the ending haha.

Thanks

Idk about anyone else, but I hear a distinct "F" in whatever he is singing. I thought he was saying "stuffing clothes" (like packing?), or "self-made clothes," or even "self-implodes" haha. In the Berkeley sound check especially, there is a point were he sings "yeahh (stuffing/self-made) clothes baby, even ammo to fight your war." I don't hear "selling" or "sewing" at all though.

Thanks

It should be, "Way over yonder stands a woman, self-enclosed with a son to fight your war."