Thread: jimi's christ complex

Thanks

jimi's christ complex

chris welch even touched on this, but the recent exp and janie and john and everyone else trying to reinvent jimi for a buck now. have glossed over this// the last few weeks of his life, he felt he was Christ, or a Christ figure, as everyone wanted something from him. Mike Jeffries, Alan Douglas, and others were hounding him. The night he died, after playing at Scott's with Burdon and War, he copped some drugs for someone, who challenged him and said he couldn't do it. he did, and went to sleep with monika and poff--this is not only from Chris Welch, but burdon said this too. Granted the latter is one that sets off bullshit meters around the world, bu just saying. they're really glossing hos mental state near the end, right over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Re: jimi's christ complex

Quote Originally Posted by mchitar2 View Post
    .. he felt he was Christ, or a Christ figure, ...
    I was not aware of this. Can you provide an interview or direct quote where Hendrix says this about himself?
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not sure if Hendrix himself had a "Christ Complex", but I've always thought of Jimi as a christ-like, messiah, prophet type of figure.
    Believe it or not, there are indeed many similarities between icons like Hendrix, Elvis, John Lennon and Jesus.
    I wrote a paper in college theorizing that Jesus was the Elvis of his time period.
    Christ was the first Rock Star, except instead of playing Rock N Roll, he was a philosopher with a large cult following.

Just imagine if Jesus had access to an electric guitar!!!

We know that Jimi had a rather large ego at certain points in his career (and rightfully so).
    It's not hard to imagine him believing that he was some sort of "Christ-like" figure, especially under the influence of psychedelics.
    Listen to many of his lyrics from late 1969 into 1970. Songs like Earth Blues, Message To Love, and Power Of Soul could definitely be interpreted as being written by a man who believed he was some sort of Christ figure or messiah. The proof is in the songs.

Personally, I feel like I am closest to "God" when I listen to Jimi's music. (From a certain point of view)
    After all, Jimi was indeed the Pope of the Electric Church!!!!

Now, all of this being said, I don't know what any of this has to do with "conspiracy" or Hendrix's death...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danksquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I know that Noel had spoken of this in an interview.

There also was Jim Morrison's comment in that interview at IOW when Jimi was taking the stage. Something like "there goes the Messiah having an audience with his people".

Hey, Hendrix was always thought of as otherworldly and supernatural by his fans when he was alive (and to this day, of course)

"I see hands and shades of faces, reaching up, not quite touching the Promised Land"

It ain't "Hey Hey, We're the Monkees", ya know?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 855 Posts

Well now, a theological debate here at CTT. Not for the faint hearted as I’m sure it’ll only end in war and invasion, lol.
    Funny that yesterday just before the start of this thread, I was flicking through Frank Moriarty’s book, Bold As Love: The Jimi Hendrix Experience. For many years I had wondered why he had opened Chapter one with the following “Jimi Hendrix was a human being.”
    In light of this thread I need say no more.
    Looking forward to some interesting posts but unsure (as has been pointed out already) why this sits in the Conspiracy Theory thread. Maybe that’ll be made clearer as we progress.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I remember circa 1973 the ' Children Of God' cult were using Jimi in a recruitment drive, they published a pamphlet ' Jimi Hendrix Devil Or Prophet' iirc it was along the lines of 'Jimi used his guitar, like a thunderbolt to deliver his message" whilst Moses meekly dished out his memo from God".

Can't locate the original document, but to an impressionable 18 year old it made a lot of sense, apart from the fact it was presented to me by 2 foxy ladies from the USA lol, it took all my willpower not to return to their pad for a bible reading, still kicking myself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buffalorattle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"My music is electric church music. If by 'church' you mean 'religion', I am electric religion."

- Royal Albert Hall programme

Thanks

.. he felt he was Christ, or a Christ figure, ...
    I was not aware of this. Can you provide an interview or direct quote where Hendrix says this about himself?

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 855 Posts

+1
    What MS asks.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I always thought he believed in God as he makes reference to him in his songs(Message of Love as one example). Sort of a reverence to the almighty? YOU used the term "Christ like figure" what source are you quoting from? Oh wait you aren't quoting are you? Opinion only?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpstat View Post
    I always thought he believed in God ...
    I am totally convinced he did. Hard to shed the knowledge passed on via pentecostal upbringing, tho, with the advent of adolescence and young adulthood comes varying degrees of heathenish behavior. Nothing in regards to all things Hendrix provides evidence he was an atheist, while monotheism is very evident in his compositions. Finally, it would be sheer ignorance to believe he was not aware of his own role amongst the Rock & Roll Elite, in addition to the fact that he wanted his music to produce a peaceful, unifying bond. However, even this does not come close to "he felt he was Christ, or a Christ figure".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I also got the impression that at the end of his life he saw himself as some sort of messiah figure.
    I vaguely remember reading interviews or hearing them and getting that impression,... but I couldn't tell you where... It was all so long ago. ;-)

People were increasingly looking to him for answers: cultural, spiritual, moral, political, etc.
    The sixties became more political as the decade wore on and in that the whole sixties counterculture revolution young people looked to muscians/pop-stars for leadership and guidance and as role models. Some musicians STEPPED UP TO THE plate (e.g. Joan Baez, John Lennon, Pete Townsend, James Brown, etc.,) and some spoke out more cryptically/poetically (e.g. Bob Dylan, etc.).

Jimi started off singing about spaceships and foxy ladies and ended his career two and a half years later singing about 'freedom' 'the power of love', and the immorality of war and 'machine guns', etc.

A lot of those role-model pop stars were stuck in a situation where they enjoyed a lifestyle revolving around drugs, free sex and freedom from the moral constraints that were so important to previous generations, and had young people looking to them for inspiration and answers. They also had contemporaries trying to get them to espouse causes. But they really had no special insight into how such 'freerer' lifestyles were going to work for the mass of their fans living nine-to-five regular-job lifestyles. And yet it was expected of them that they should.

Some of them came to believe that they did have some special insight.

It has always been my impression Jimi was one of them.
    Last edited by Mysticbumwipe; 06-27-12 at 05:25 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysticbumwipe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

chris welch even touched on this, ...the last few weeks of his life, he felt he was Christ, or a Christ figure, as everyone wanted something from him.
    Where does Chris Welch say/write this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticbumwipe View Post
    I also got the impression that at the end of his life he saw himself as some sort of messiah figure.
    I vaguely remember reading interviews or hearing them and getting that impression,... but I couldn't tell you where... It was all so long ago. ;-)
    report back when you do, I am most curious.

People were increasingly looking to him for answers .... young people looked to muscians/pop-stars for leadership and guidance and as role models. ... And some of them came to believe that they did have some special insight.
    In the U.S., the numbers are quite small. Most of us were into sex, drugs & rock and roll. Few musicians got the ear of some fans, but our politcally-conscious brethren were paying more attention to politicians, civil rights and The War. The few that were looking at rock stars were flakes in most cases. The media will have you think the numbers are higher. Not sure about other nations, but we were mostly a 'Live (read: party-hearty) For Today' crowd. (and then the seventies happened, a real buzz-kill)

It has always been my impression Jimi was one of them.
    There is no question that Hendrix was the utlimate figure to close out the sixties and was aware of his status. See post #11.

Thanks

There was a reason why the CIA had a file on Hendrix;
    why they tried to prevent John Lennon getting his green card;
    why the hippie counterculture was seen as a threat by governments;
    why youth refusing to follow society laws and norms was considered a dangerous precedence;
    why refusing the draft was deeply worrying to the older generation;
    why people like the Stones and The Beatles were framed and busted by the police in the UK for drugs.

These
    people (Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, Lennon, Dylan, etc.) were role models for many young people, whatever you personally think/thought. They had access to a relatively new medium (in terms of numbers of people reached and global coverage) and could get across a message that the normal channels of control and influence had little or no control over.
    Popular music was a new force. People started to realise that it could be used to change the sytem and influence people.
    Hendrix came to understand that, as did the Beatles and many of the others.

You just have to look at the evolution of their lyrics from '67 to '69:
    'I wanna hold your hand'
    to
    'Turn off your mind relax and float down stream, it is not dying...'.

From: "I have only one itching desire. Let me stand next to your f...."
    to
    "We got to stand side by side. We got to stand together and organize".

Hendrix and the others did become spokesmen for a generation.
    And the example they represented (as expressed by Leary's 'drop out, turn and tune in' ) meant the end of the old order and the beginning of something that represented to the authorities and elder generation - anarchy, questionable morality and something scarily unpredictable and unknown.

I repeat, There was a reason why the CIA had a file on Hendrix.

Thanks

...These people (Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, Lennon, Dylan, etc.) were role models for many young people, whatever you personally think/thought.
    I never said they were not (re-read the post). All I'm saying is your 'many' is really a 'few' in regards to socio-politico consciousness.

I repeat, There was a reason why the CIA had a file on Hendrix.
    The reason was founded on the then establishment mentality, media sensationalism and illogical paranoia (yup, that pretty much sums up the CIA/FBI of the times) - not the non-existent masses of a myopic humanity following pseudo pied-pipers.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

There was a reason why the CIA had a file on Hendrix;
    They had files on just about everybody.

There's nothing of any interest in the file anyway merely a list of his court cases
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

"Last week I was looking at a film script Jimi was working on, and in the margin he had written:
    'Don't raise me up; I am but a messenger.'
    That's definitely the direction he was going in.
    He realized the power of soul, as one of his own songs said.
    He was an 'up', one of the highest people I've ever known, and he was getting more and more spiritual.
    To my mind, his music was the music of the new religion.

His stage image halted him, though, and that was frustrating for him.
    That old ghost from the past -- the humping the guitar, the 'Foxy Lady' stuff.
    Because that wasn't the true Jimi Hendrix, that ballsy, raunchy image.
    And as he was becoming more and more spiritual, he wanted more to fling that image off, and just play his music."

-- Mike Jeffrey, interviewed at Jimi's funeral.

Last edited by Mysticbumwipe; 06-28-12 at 01:58 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mysticbumwipe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

In a way his death made people focus more on the music then Jimi wich was probably his main intention in the first place.
    To me he was just tapping from the global consciousness, translating, transcending people's emotions into great music.
    The way Jimi was able to plug in and translate the static all around into a soul absorbing melody truly blessed.
    Some of his notes sound like they contain terrabytes of data but they only last a brief moment magic.
    If there is a God that is or isent made-up out of billions of souls im sure Jimi's teaching him how to manipulate
    the ones and zeros with a pimped out wah wah pedal.