Thread: Robert Fripp on Meeting Jimi

Thanks

Robert Fripp on Meeting Jimi

Here is an audio clip where Robert Fripp recalls the time he met Jimi:

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Horizon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,605 Posts

Re: Robert Fripp on Meeting Jimi

Fripp it seems is mistaken? JH appears to have been in the US when Crimson played at the Revolution, which was on 14th May. JH was playing Indianapolis on the 11th, in the Record Plant on 13th (with three unknown musicians, 'Sean'), trying out Sharon Layne on piano at Record Plant on 14th, & 15th, also jamming with Johnny Winter etc. at the Scene on the 15th, and playing Baltimore on the 16th. Crimson was virtually unknown at this time, just playing small London clubs and hadn't recorded anything yet.
    Anyway, I can't see where their paths could have crossed from the band's first gig (9th April 69) to JH's death?
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 753 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Anyway, I can't see where their paths could have crossed from the band's first gig (9th April 69) to JH's death?
    Yeah, I think Fripp is mistaken as well. However, KC played Fillmore East, New York in 21 November of 1969. Was Hendrix in town around this time? This is all I can come up with so far.
    *** WATCH OUT FOR YOUR EARS !***

“We don’t want to be classed in any category.” -Jimi Hendrix

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Yeah, I think Fripp is mistaken as well. However, KC played Fillmore East, New York in 21 November of 1969. Was Hendrix in town around this time? This is all I can come up with so far.
    Thanks for the input, they apparently played played two nights there (21 & 22) JH was recording at Record Plant on 21st, so he could quite possibly have gone to see them then, hand shake etc.?
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 753 Posts

When was Hendrix's right arm ever in a sling? fripp's 'Hendrix Story'? he claims to meet the greatest musician on earth and the only info he provides is how great Hendrix thought fripp's band was?

*** WATCH OUT FOR YOUR EARS !***

“We don’t want to be classed in any category.” -Jimi Hendrix

"If you can play, you can play anything. I don't like classifications." - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    When was Hendrix's right arm ever in a sling? fripp's 'Hendrix Story'? he claims to meet the greatest musician on earth and the only info he provides is how great Hendrix thought fripp's band was?

I too have to say, "Pretty f'kin' obvious where he was coming from" He's like so many others "in the biz," unfortunately. Well, it is "show-biz", finally

Interesting that after his initial story, he later felt he had to back it up with another, quoting some unknown woman as corroboration?

Also JH did not appreciate much of the English musical "eccentricity", as he saw it (ie them being weird for weirdnes's sake. He notably slagged off his favourite English band - Traffic's 'Hole In My Shoe'). Although he did claim in a couple of interviews to appreciate Jethro Tull - his main 'in concert' "competitors" at the time. Their records were also selling masses, when he hadn't released any studio material for over a year. Who knows? This may well have been him just being a "good sport" (which he undoubtedly was) supporting the "underdog" that had come from nowhere and were now threatening his #1 position in their "alternative" "underground" [really well overground!] milieu.

I don't believe he ever commented upon those light weight riff merchants Ten Years After at all, although they briefly appeared (in Jimi's relative 1969/70 absence) to be "competitors" to some in 1970 (eg West Berlin).
    Last edited by stplsd; 04-26-12 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks

Did Jimi ever have his hand in a sling? I think a saw an on-stage photo of Jimi from 1968 where his right hand looks bandaged.