Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Frank Jeffery (1933-1973)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 851 Posts

Re: Michael Frank Jeffery (1933-1973)

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    I knew of a member who would jump on this and at no expense to the site. Some mod decided to ban the member.
    Correction. EX - MEMBER

Yours, Some Mod
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

Here is another document I bought at auction last month.
    Searching the internet, I see where the same document was up for sale four years ago for $400, but no takers. Thankfully I paid less than half that.
    Anyhow, I'm hoping there is an attorney/arbitrator on this board, perhaps he/she could shed some light as to some of the details.
    A few things I find interesting/questionable/etc:
    1) The document is an original, not a mimeograph or "Xerox" copy. It is a complete, all attached, "four-sided" legal size document, 8 1/2" X 14".
    2) The document appears to be some sort of legal disolution between two parties: John Henry Henroid and Michael Jefferys(sic).
    3) Various legal entities/partnerships are mentioned, all including the entities address:
    "Sea-Lark Enterprises Corps", "A.Schroeder Music Corp", "Cimino Publications Incorporation", "Radiophon Barkley Limited", "Yameta Clearing House"
    4) Some may be familiar with the late "Henri" Henroid (1936-1998), I was not. Based in England, it seems in the 1950's thru the 1980's, Henri was involved with artist management/club management/road management/record production, etc.
    5) Henroid was Gene Vincent's manager in the late 50's, early 1960's, and he also booked British bands in Hamburg (Star Club, etc)
    6) In his recent book, "Tappy" Wright notes the following people as the principals, or core employees, if you will, at ANIM: "Tappy" himself, Michael Jeffery, Chas Chandler, Tony Garland, and Henri Henroid.
    7) It is claimed that it was Henroid who first discovered the Animals and it was he who brought them to the attention of Michael Jeffrey.
    8) Under the "assets" section, it is stated that there is $404,000 cash on hand. In today's dollars that is $2,522,000 bucks.
    9) The "total assets" figure is $1,800,000 which equates to over $11 million dollars in 2012.
    10) At the top it notes there are "five accepting parties" but the number "2" has been typed in over a smudge of "white-out"
    11) Why is Michael Jeffery spelled "Michael Jefferys"?
    12) I compared the purported Jefferys autograph on this document to the purported Jeffery autograph from the guest sign in at Seabury Hall and they don't look alike.
    13) I don't have another John Henry Henroid autograph to compare. The two signatures are with different pens, and the date and location on document scan #4 is the same pen as "Jefferys" used.
    14) What exactly is this legal document describing, that took place on April 10, 1969? Thanks.

Attachment 16158Attachment 16159Attachment 16160Attachment 16161

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to souldoggie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by souldoggie View Post
    Here is another document I bought at auction last month.
    Searching the internet, I see where the same document was up for sale four years ago for $400, but no takers. Thankfully I paid less than half that.
    Anyhow, I'm hoping there is an attorney/arbitrator on this board, perhaps he/she could shed some light as to some of the details.
    A few things I find interesting/questionable/etc:

2) The document appears to be some sort of legal disolution between two parties: John Henry Henroid and Michael Jefferys(sic).
    Not an attorney ,nor legal aid or any kind...but I will offer my 'opinion'...
    I don't see it as a 'legal' doc...anyone can get a blank dissolution document for filing(anyone that has been divorced(like me) has seen these for sure....there is no indication(stamp of office,order number,etc) as to where this would have been filed...if the signatures are 'real'(I have no idea on this)..I suppose it could hold up in court tho' as any personal drawn up contract could.....it looks as if the doc. got to the preliminary stage, whether it was completed with a filing is unknown(to me).

3) Various legal entities/partnerships are mentioned, all including the entities address:
    "Sea-Lark Enterprises Corps", "A.Schroeder Music Corp", "Cimino Publications Incorporation", "Radiophon Barkley Limited", "Yameta Clearing House"
    Yes....whoever typed it out had to have knowledge of these, however not a very good knowledge on how to type.

4) Some may be familiar with the late "Henri" Henroid (1936-1998), I was not. Based in England, it seems in the 1950's thru the 1980's, Henri was involved with artist management/club management/road management/record production, etc.
    5) Henroid was Gene Vincent's manager in the late 50's, early 1960's, and he also booked British bands in Hamburg (Star Club, etc)
    I'm guessing that Henroid & Jeffery were London friends....that had a joint venture in 'Sea Lark Enterprise" which is a subsidiary of A.Schroeder.....Henroid( I think it's the same guy) is mentioned in Billboard
    12/19/70
    Attachment 16206

6) In his recent book, "Tappy" Wright notes the following people as the principals, or core employees, if you will, at ANIM: "Tappy" himself, Michael Jeffery, Chas Chandler, Tony Garland, and Henri Henroid.
    7) It is claimed that it was Henroid who first discovered the Animals and it was he who brought them to the attention of Michael Jeffrey.)
    I don't see anything to dispute there...seems 'logical'..
    8) Under the "assets" section, it is stated that there is $404,000 cash on hand. In today's dollars that is $2,522,000 bucks.
    9) The "total assets" figure is $1,800,000 which equates to over $11 million dollars in 2012.
    Wouldn't that be sum of both parties?

10) At the top it notes there are "five accepting parties" but the number "2" has been typed in over a smudge of "white-out"
    Well...that's another reason why I see it as a possible 'sketch'...

11) Why is Michael Jeffery spelled "Michael Jefferys"?
    Now this is what got me going in the 1st place...I was reading the article in RS about the meeting with Hendrix,Mitchell & Redding for the re-emergence of the Experience(that interview that took place Feb,1970)..and I saw this..."Jefferys"...now this was a whole year after your doc.....it's very possible that people not actually knowing Jeffery, but only by name, actually thought his last name was in fact Jefferys....this could easily be mistaken if all the time they heard his name was in the context of " Jeffery(i)s going to....""Jeffery(ha)s got to ".....the name 'Jefferys" could have just stuck....could also be a interpretation from using a the New York accent.

Attachment 16203

12) I compared the purported Jefferys autograph on this document to the purported Jeffery autograph from the guest sign in at Seabury Hall and they don't look alike.
    Can't comment on that...
    13) I don't have another John Henry Henroid autograph to compare. The two signatures are with different pens, and the date and location on document scan #4 is the same pen as "Jefferys" used..
    Does the Jeffery signature look like it has an 'S" on the end?
    I can't really tell...wouldn't make sens that someone would sign thier own name wrong...on the other hand, some people do add this or that to indicate(for themselves) a certain meaning.
    IE: Jefferys Sea Lark, Henriods Sea Lark

14) What exactly is this legal document describing, that took place on April 10, 1969? Thanks.
    It looks like Henrois and Jeffery had a joint Sea Lark account...now Sea Lark I see goes back into the 50's..it's mentioned in Billboard quite alot of times...I get the impression it's kinda like an open franchise available thru A.Schroder....the dissolution(like divorce) means the parties want this particular venture between them over with....Jeffery goes on with Yameta....Sea Lark goes on with A.Schroder...
    in 1971 both Yameta and Sea Lark(I also see Godiva in there, they are all music publishing companies) in the suit files on the Rubber Dubber guys...that was in Billboard as well...see center column..pretty far down.
    Attachment 16205

5. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

[QUOTE=...that's another reason why I see it as a possible 'sketch'..[/QUOTE]

J.Lucas, thank you for your thoughts. I agree with your assessment that this document is a "sketch".

Thanks

NYC June 28, 1968 - MLK Benefit
    Partial shot of Michael, far right

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to souldoggie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

https://youtu.be/JPUcvLMs36E
    Found this on YouTube over the weekend, I'd never seen some of this footage. Regarding this thread, there's a brief snippet of Jeffery at 32:54.
    30:45 - Film shot in a hotel room at the beginning of the 1966 Animals US tour.
    The US Animals Publicist (I can't make out her name, it's mentioned) mentions Bob Levine at 31:04 and is generally raking the band over the coals for their disorganization, rudeness, cluelessness, etc.
    31:56 - Seems she first mentions Jeffery while speaking to Eric (....."I've given it to Mike and you say he doesn't get back to you....")
    Then at 32:35 she pleads (".....then go and talk to Mike, contracts can be broken, talk to the man there must be some way be can have someone assigned for you, I don't think the man's unreasonable......")

There is Hendrix content (film, photo's - all previously seen) and Eric and Zoot talking about Jimi at 44:06.....45:27-47:28.....49:05-51:29)

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to souldoggie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Michael Jeffery in Majorca, date unknown, looks early 70's to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to souldoggie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Two Jeffrey photo's.
    1) Chas and Jimi 1968(?), location unknown
    2) John Burks with The Experience, February 4, 1970, interview at Michael's NYC apartment
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to souldoggie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,766 Times in 2,027 Posts

1) Chas and Jimi 1968(?), location unknown
    Fillmore East, May 68, maybe?
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: