Thread: Vancouver Interview 9-7-68 four versions

yelapavision Guest

Vancouver Interview 9-7-68 four versions

Original broadcast on "Where It's At!" show, also has Vanilla Fudge interview.
    LET'S GO 1967 includes Jimi Hendrix Experience and Vanilla Fudge interviews by DJ Terry David Mulligan. Host Fred Latremouille introduces DJ Daryl B and his Vancouver group the Northwest Company with lead singer Rick McCartie. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's national series featured each weekday a half hour show from 5 different cities across Canada featuring young Canadian singers and bands. Initially titled "Let's Go" the series title changed in 1967 and the shows updated to include bands. Previously each location had a house band with guest singers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1doY...M07H0AthEpc%3D

Rebroadcast in 1987 (excerpt)
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Jimi, Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding - were interviewed in 1968 just before the release of their LP "Electric Ladyland" by Terry David Mulligan for the CBC Vancouver TV series "LET'S GO" and the excerpt re-used in a 1987 edition of CBC Vancouver TV's "GOOD ROCKIN' TONITE" hosted by Stu Jeffries.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWDOt8r3jI

"raw film" version
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onro-...eature=related

2:08 clip with no logo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxMAK...hannel&list=UL

sorry, those last two links don't seem to work, but here is the guy's channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/laraby78?feature=watch

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yelapavision For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Vancouver Interview 9-7-68 four versions

Thanks for the links. Though just to be clear there is no 1967 content.
    But I never saw that Nora Hendrix interview featured on the channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpIfF...HYe457jUjgGBc=

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to karsten For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by karsten View Post
    But I never saw that Nora Hendrix interview featured on the channel:
    Great, I never saw this before ! Thanks a lot.

YM

Thanks

The interviewer notes that he was turned on to Jimi's first two lp's by Pete Townsend! (Jimi seems unimpressed.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,787 Times in 760 Posts

DAWSON ANNEX SCHOOL, VANCOUVER, CANADA

Interviewing the Experience backstage at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver in September 7, 1968 for CBC-TV, Terry David Mulligan was startled when Hendrix asked, "Do they still have Dawson Annex School here? I used to go there … My grandmother, her boyfriend and my cousins are out there. I haven't seen them yet. I will see them later on tonight."

"I couldn't believe it," says Mulligan, now host of Mulligan Stew for the CKUA radio station in Edmonton. "The marketing of the Jimi Hendrix Experience had been out of London. Nobody made the connection between Seattle and Vancouver with him."

Jimi started attending the Dawson Annex School September 5, 1949. The school was torn down in 1969.

Jimi's father Al Hendrix was, in fact, born in Vancouver in 1919. His parents, Zenora "Nora" Moore and Bertram Philander Ross Hendrix, were vaudeville performers who had moved there in 1912 after their Dixieland troupe had disbanded in Seattle. All four of their children were born in Vancouver. In 1922, Ross and Nora Hendrix became Canadian citizens.

Ross Hendrix worked as a steward in two of Vancouver's most prestigious private clubs, the American Club and the Transportation Club of Vancouver, before becoming first porter at the newly opened Quilchena Golf & Country Club in Richmond, B.C., in 1925. He held this position until his death in 1934.

Following their father's death, the Hendrix children went in separate directions. After a few years of attempting to find regular work in Vancouver and Victoria, Al moved to Seattle, where he married Lucille Jeter on March 31, 1942. Jimi was born later that year on Nov. 27.

While much of her family came to resettle in Seattle, Nora Hendrix remained in Vancouver where she was a well-known figure in the city's black community. She helped form the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Vancouver's first black church.

Jimi had a close relationship with his grandmother Nora. His parents had divorced when he was 9; and his mother died in 1958 at age 32. Jimi often stayed with Nora in her home on East Georgia Street. He attended Grade 1 at Sir William Dawson Annex in Vancouver's West End.

"Jimi stayed with grandma because my dad was working such long hours," says Janie. "It was hard for him to be there for Jimi. He didn't want him to be a latchkey kid."

After a one-year stint in the U.S. Army in 1961, Jimi often visited Vancouver, playing as a sideman in local clubs, including Dante's Inferno with Tommy Chong's band, Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers.

After Jimi's death, Al Hendrix continued taking his family to visit Nora. "Every other weekend, we were in Vancouver," recalls Janie. "We went to the PNE, rode around the bus for a dime all day long, and went to Chinatown."

https://blogs.vsb.bc.ca/heritage/201...-annex-school/

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,605 Posts

Excellent find Robbie, many thanks. The article still contains some myths though:

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    His parents, Zenora "Nora" Moore and Bertram Philander Ross Hendrix, were vaudeville performers
    It should be more accurately written, Nora "Zenora" Moore. ‘Zenora’ seems to have just been her ‘theatrical’ name, on official documents and everywhere else (apart from Al’s book) it is always just plain ‘Nora’.

And the rather grand, ‘Bertram Philander’, addition to his name only appeared on Ross’ application for Canadian citizenship - when plain old ‘Ross’ was already working at one of the snootiest golf clubs in Vancouver

Ross was not a ‘performer’ he was a stage hand.

And as for:

After a one-year stint in the U.S. Army in 1961, Jimi often visited Vancouver, playing as a sideman in local clubs, including Dante's Inferno with Tommy Chong's band, Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers.
    According to Tommy Chong (I think) this was total self promotion bullshit by Bobby Taylor, or whoever, I can't remember which member, but I put the details up here on CTT somewhere. The first time he went back to Canada, as far as is known (Jimi’s general whereabouts pre fame are quite well covered and no one else mentions he was even near Seattle, nevermind Vancouver), was when he was famous, ie in February 1968

They did jam with Jimi, once, possibly; in London, in 1968 at the Speakeasy apparently, according to Tommy Chong.

And:

After Jimi's death, Al Hendrix continued taking his family to visit Nora. "Every other weekend, we were in Vancouver," recalls Janie.
    Yeah, right Maybe. More accurately, for ‘family’ read: “His new Japanese (extraction) wife and her daughter (half ‘Caucasian’, father not publically acknowleged, half sister to her other, older, siblings (Japanese extraction father, from whom they were long estranged) – who she/they appear to have, basically, ‘dumped’)." Al married her mother, therefore Janie became his legal step-daughter, as did her siblings, being a step-child at the time conferred no legal obligations/rights on either side Al’s later legal adoption of Janie, effectively legally ‘dumped’ Janie’s older siblings. So, hardly ‘family’ to anyone else, apart from Al.
    Of Jimi’s actual siblings (acknowledged by Al), Leon (it now looks like his biological father was not Al and, when an older child, was put into state care for long periods), was an unlikely candidate for visiting granny at the time (if he wasn’t actually ‘doing time’). The others, two girls and a boy, had been turned over to the state to look after permanently when young children. These three all appear to have been subsequently adopted at some point.
    Jimi seems to have had one other brother through his mother, but conceived after Al had divorced Lucille.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post: