Thread: Akonidi Hini

Thanks

Akonidi Hini

According to Harry Shapiro in the Hendrix bio Electric Gypsy :

Occult writer Francis King has suggested Jimi dedicated "Voodoo Child" to Akonidi Hini-a Ghanaian occultist and one-time President of the African Psychic and Traditional Healers Association. Jimi was supposed to have been impressed by her occult powers while she in turn believed the rites she carried out in her ramshackle temple on the banks or the River Zribi in Ghana in some way contributed to Jimi's success-a service she also performed for Bob Marley.

pg 311

http://books.google.com/books?id=JB1W2dn31rwC&pg=PA311&lpg=PA311&dq=hini+v oodoo+ghana&source=bl&ots=zOcDdMzW8y&sig=y6k0DPXMz j4DKf4TEfD7IQau7cg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TJMIULezMoeo2wXLi cjeBw&ved=0CEoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=hini voodoo ghana&f=false

Then in Timothy White's revised Bob Marley bio Catch A Fire :

At the same point in 1980,that her son was adding ancient African mysticism to his Rasta creed, seeking out the counsel of Ghanaian occultist/healer Akonidi Hini-for whom Jimi Hendrix had penned the song "Voodoo Child"...

pg 323
    http://books.google.com/books?id=h4nfr2cYAMQC&pg=PA323&lpg=PA323&dq=Akonid i+Hini&source=bl&ots=2qOiEoRQqu&sig=nUv4B-0LnZbHKUW1XTN-PYsw1lw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jP4IUOGpIYGe2AW3wcHkBw&ved=0 CE0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Akonidi Hini&f=false

Other than both men being deceased I'm not sure if the conspiracy thread is the proper place to ask, but after reading the Devon Wilson thread and being blown away by the research you guys have done I'm going to give it a go. Does anyone know anything else about Akonidi Hini?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 659 Posts

Re: Akonidi Hini

I am sorry, this more sounds like the umpteenth person on this planet who tries to get some fame by linking him or her self to Hendrix's name. I will be very very surprised if any concrete evidence of Hendrix knowing/mentioning this occult master shows up.

And welcome btw!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 528 Posts

100 % horse dung .

Thanks

If you listen to the lyrics carefully it's about an imaginary character almost referring to himself (Jimi) in the third person aspect. He uses it as a reference in Hear my Train a comin at Berkeley. That why it's important that EH should have left the vocal intro of Hear my Train a comin. "The cat's all low and everything so he trips out and becomes a "Voodoo Child" then does that beauitful blues run. "Come back and be a magic boy" enter second fantastic run. He then states in the song's lyrics at Berkeley "Lord I gotta be a Voodoo Child baby". At the Maui concerts he refers to a "cat with a backpack on" tries to be a "Voodoo Child", maybe the girl does it to him one more time, might even marry him and give him a piece of it". Then proceeds into "Get my heart back together aka Hear my Train a comin.
    Last edited by Sharpstat; 07-26-12 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks

Sounds like writer stuff, trying to make connections that aren't there to impress the casual fans with their superior "knowledge". In a way it's just perversity on their part. If someone believes the writer bilge it just shows they don't really understand Jimi's message in the lyrics to Voodoo Child (Slight Return). The real story is that Jimi was a badass talented brother who brought himself up in the world by believing in himself and his talent.