Thanked 3,509 Times in 285 Posts

Honolulu 1970-08-01 [funkydrummer cleanup Version 3!! Improved!!]

Jimi Hendrix - Honolulu 1970-08-01
    Funky Drummer (Version 3!!)

Lineage EH WMA > Adobe Audition 3 (NR, EQ, Compression) > FLAC

1 Straight Ahead
    2 Ezy Ryder
    3 Hey Baby (Right Channel Only)
    4 Spanish Castle Magic (Right Channel Only)
    5 Red House (partial) (Right Channel Only)

Version 3 Notes:

Somewhat embarrassing to post this actually - because I was cleaning this up, as part of a 1970 live mix I am putting together (stay tuned) and given that I have better some of the earlier cleanups - I wanted to do Honolulu AGAIN.
    This is now my third attempt at cleaning up the partial recording of this show. I know this must be rather painful, but I really believe this is my last attempt and I have to say, if you can be bothered, it is much better than the previous ones (delete them!)...and I have adjusted things to make it easier on the ears.
    Less NR! Less Compression! More low end...
    In fact my cleanups started with Honolulu, and I use it as a bit of a benchmark.
    I love the show (at least what we have) - if only we had it all! Up there with the best of US 1970 shows.
    As I have written in the notes for the last few "clean-ups" - some of my earlier attempts were rough. If you've downloaded before - worth persevering again!
    Thanks FD

[On Source Files - Basically I downloaded a torrent of original FLAC saved WMA source that has been floating around online via EH site...The source will never be good, but starting as WMA is pretty bad...alas...What is known about this tape is the "ghosting" that occurs - where you can hear other distracting sections of the tape playing at random times and growing increasingly persistent...The first two songs Straight Ahead and Ezy Ryder are not too bad at all, and I used both channels...
    Unlike last time, this time I used right channel only for the last three tracks.

************************************************** ****************************
    So people are aware of the limitations of the source of the recording of this show, I will replicate a discussion posted by johanincr.The lineage has been discussed on CTT by johanincr (as follows - edited

This show was partially recorded and surfaced in WMA format in early 2006.

It turned up on the EH site in Real Audio format, another lossy conversion....

The original recording had a 'echo from the future' in the left channel, since the recording itself appears to be mono this channel was dropped in the edit version.

1 Straight Ahead
    2 Ezy Ryder
    3 Hey Baby
    4 Spanish Castle Magic
    5 Red House

I think this was one of the best concerts of 1970.
    Jimi appears to be in a very good mood which is reflected in his playing. Finally, an audience that doesnt scream for 'Wild Thing/Foxy Lady/Purple Haze/burn that guitar Jimi!' inbetween all songs. This version of Hey Baby is -afaik- the only live version that has a intro and an ending, its not the usual ending where it would be a medley with the next song - or drum solo.

So, the show is really good, the audio really isnt.

************************************************** *********************************
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 380 Posts

Re: Honolulu 1970-08-01 [funkydrummer cleanup Version 3!! Improved!!]

I like this. A great job, as always. Compliments.

Thanks

Thanks for the upgrade! The hard work you've put into all these cleanups is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,107 Times in 359 Posts

Hey Funkydrummer guess what you'll have to make a Version 4!!!

There's a version of RH from the same source which runs all the way to the end!

Which is ofcourse only very marginally longer, but its longer! :-)

Havent seen it mentioned on CTT, if it was i'm sorry, anyway here it is (and has been for some time!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2co8Ny-sSYI

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,509 Times in 285 Posts

Hey Johan

We did discuss that a couple of years back - that source has a tiny bit extra on the beginning of Straight Ahead as well...I have sent the guy messages asking if it was possible to get a copy of that source - but he has never responded. I had versions of these Honolulu files up on my YT site before it got pulled down - for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    Hey Funkydrummer guess what you'll have to make a Version 4!!!

There's a version of RH from the same source which runs all the way to the end!

Which is ofcourse only very marginally longer, but its longer! :-)

Havent seen it mentioned on CTT, if it was i'm sorry, anyway here it is (and has been for some time!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2co8Ny-sSYI