Thread: Dolly Dagger

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Dolly Dagger

Just heard the isolated vocal track of this. I think that on this it's now indisputable that he's singing 'doughnut' boys, not 'donor' boys. When and if the person, who owns the only known existing handwritten lyrics to this, do let us see the unseen portion (that is if they do include this verse) it will be interesting to see what JH wrote for this, possibly something quite different. Interesting that he sang 'she drinks the blood from a vain Mick Jagger' on an earlier vocal take
    Last edited by stplsd; 08-04-12 at 07:28 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Re: Dolly Dagger

hey there! where can I hear the isolated vocal and the alternate line?!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Just heard the isolated vocal track of this. I think that on this it's now indisputable that he's singing 'doughnut' boys, not 'donor' boys. When and if the person, who owns the only known existing handwritten lyrics to this, do let us see the unseen portion (that is if they do include this verse) it will be interesting to see what JH wrote for this, possibly something quite different. Interesting that he sang 'she drinks the blood from a vain Mick Jagger' on an earlier vocal take
    I really want to hear this, man! Could you please link me? I've been looking on the audio torrents section and I can't find it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    I always thought it was "dodo boys". Like dumb guys who fall for her manipulative ways. Taken from the extinct and oftenly perceived as stupid, 'dodo bird'.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle carmi View Post
    I always thought it was "dodo boys". Like dumb guys who fall for her manipulative ways. Taken from the extinct and oftenly perceived as stupid, 'dodo bird'.
    Definitely NOT 'Dodo boys' imo, I'm in the Do-nut camp http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/pl...lly_dagger.htm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 274 Posts

Try this:http://lyrics.wikia.com/Jimi_Hendrixolly_Dagger

we can read and listen at the same time, and the lyrics seems to be spot on, at least to me (headphones required )

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

This is old news, Jimi wrote the word he sang. A photograph of his original hand written lyric was released ages ago in Janie & Co's updated lyric book; it has "doughnut". Best Jimi lyric book yet, but must still try very much harder Really - I'm serious! His lyrics are a large part of his legacy, DO NOT DISS HIM by crap interpretation! F'sake you have access to the master reels. Get it right!!!???)
    When his hand written lyrics/writings turn up they always verify what a great songwriter/ creative, original word-smith/ writer and very much more he was, and how closely related this was to his music, thereby highlighting how crass his 'Jimi just his guitar' in-your-face-false critics/interpreters were/are. One of his major musical feats, commented upon by many, was his combining playing and singing lyrics in the identical pitch. He was never only the 'greatest' guitarist (a meaningless title - that is just duhl. He was SO much more (and less).
    Last edited by stplsd; 08-08-15 at 05:58 PM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I always heard it as "doughnut boys"!! and it made perfect sense. Dolly Dagger is a great song - one of his best.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to julie For This Useful Post: