Thread: FUZZ - The Sound That Changed The World

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 732 Posts

FUZZ - The Sound That Changed The World

Attachment 16288
    700mb .AVI
    90mts.
    Video that is mostly interviews with pedal builders/designers but also provides demonstrations of most of the pedals discussed. There are also several interviews with musicians who use the different products.
    NOTE: Does include(tho' brief) the Hendrix Big-Muff story.
    Fuzz.avi.torrent

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: FUZZ - The Sound That Changed The World

Thanks very much
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

Thanks

Thanks a lot J lucas looks verry interesting. A peek into the kitchen of all these guitarists.
    (Hope the tracker is up soon)

Thanks

"Although the first Big Muff production date has been cited as 1971 for many years, the first version of the Big Muff was actually sold in 1969 as a hand-made "perf board" version, then a production version with an etched pcb board was made in early 1970.[1] Mike Matthews was friends with Jimi Hendrix and claims Jimi bought one from Manny's Music in New York, shortly after they were released, and had one in the Electric Lady Studios shortly before Jimi's death in 1970."

I doubt the above story. I remember thinking back in the early 70's that Electro Harmonix was really capitalising on Jimi's name in a sly kind of way. It was great PR & adverising, I gotta give them that. I used to meet other guitar players who thought that the Big Muff was the fuzz Jimi used on stage and in the studio. When he most likely never even saw one much less used one.

Founding years (19671968)
    "Electro-Harmonix was founded by R&B keyboard player Mike Matthews in October 1968 in New York City. He took a job as a salesman for IBM in 1967, but shortly afterwards, in partnership with Bill Berko, an audio repairman who claimed to have his own custom circuit for a fuzz pedal, he jobbed construction of the new pedal to a contracting house and began distributing the pedals under a deal with the Guild Guitar Company. Fuzzboxes were in demand following a trail of hits involving their sound, including "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones two years before, and recent popularization of Jimi Hendrix. The latter connection resulted in the pedals being branded the 'Foxey Lady'.

Following the departure of his partner, Matthews was introduced to inventor and electric engineer Robert Myer through IBM colleagues. Together they designed a circuit to create a distortion-free sustain. A simple line booster used by Myers in testing to preamplify the guitar's signal was also manufactured from 1969 as the Linear Power Booster (LPB-1), and continued in production as of 2012.

First products
    The Axis fuzz pedal, also sold under the name "Foxey Lady" for the Guild guitar company, and LPB-1 Linear Power Booster were the first products in 1969. The LPB-1 massively boosted a guitar signal to provide gain by clipping the signal, resulting in a raw distorted sound, full of sustain and harmonics. Several similar devices, which sold well, followed, such as the Treble Booster and Bass Booster."

I had an LPB-1. I liked it, it was useful for getting some sustain out of my practice amp at low volumes. In was probably early 1973 when I tried the Big Muff and couldn't stand it. Just sounded horrible to my ears. All square wavey and shit. I also emember the first time I tried a Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface, now THAT was the sound! Probably in the same time peroid. It was at Mac's Music on Washington St. in Sunnyvale, CA. Mac himself yelled at me across the store, "Hey, turn that shit down!" It was one of my very first Rock & Roll moments :-) It wasn't even that loud! After that I saved every penny I could to be able to buy a Fuzzface. I eventually got it too.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chas J. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbaas View Post
    Thanks a lot J lucas looks verry interesting. A peek into the kitchen of all these guitarists.
    (Hope the tracker is up soon)
    Don't know about the tracker....right now it's says 'offline(timed out)in UTorrent...
    I know 2 downloads were completed ...plus me equals the 3 seeders I see here...
    A far as the video....in my 'younger' days...when guitar/amp was all we had(or could afford)...a few pedals made the rounds for most of us...I had the usual Cry Baby/Big Muff thing(sounded great to me)...an old Maestro fuzz(sounded like a ripped speaker),etc...being that there was only 1 guitar shop in the general area our pickin's didn't have a lot of options...
    but the video does show some clips of these so-called 'vintage' pedals and the modifications and marketing ploys for the on-going sales of various 'toys"...video will be boring to most anyone unless they were/are into the effects pedal area.
    as far as the Hendrix Big Muff story, and I call it a story, cause I remember hearing and reading that one long ago.
    I never was a tech. or anything near that...I just went by how it sounded on my 'shit'
    The guy that made and claims the Hendrix Muff thing, never claims he 'saw' Hendrix use it...he merely claims that he saw one on the floor of EL.(which could mean anything)...and as pointed out by another CTT remember on another thread...there is no evidence on 'available' sessions that sound like a Muff(I don't hear it either)...but then that's not what the video is about, I just added that because I know a lot of players have read the same thing as I did...
    picture and sound quality of video is good tho'.
    J.L.
    I scanned this page out of the Guitar Shop - Hendrix Gear issue(part 1)
    I laughed the 1st time I read it...and also today when re-reading it to scan...
    brings back a few memories...
    the 'god-awful' sound
    Attachment 16313
    Attachment 16314
    PS: Nothing new in the magazine and is pretty well documented on 'Rock Prophecy' site.
    but at the time of my subscription, getting an issue in the mail that stated 'Hendrix Gear Issue ' was a great surprise.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 05-13-13 at 08:44 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Anyone seeding this?

Thanks

Yeah I am, and as soon as the tracker is back up I will continue to do so, promise!

Thanks

Yeah noticed all seeds were at "0" for all posts a little after a asked...can't wait for the problem to be resolved as i have a new subject-related torrent to 'contribute' as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    Don't know about the tracker....right now it's says 'offline(timed out)in UTorrent...
    I know 2 downloads were completed ...plus me equals the 3 seeders I see here...
    A far as the video....in my 'younger' days...when guitar/amp was all we had(or could afford)...a few pedals made the rounds for most of us...I had the usual Cry Baby/Big Muff thing(sounded great to me)...an old Maestro fuzz(sounded like a ripped speaker),etc...being that there was only 1 guitar shop in the general area our pickin's didn't have a lot of options...
    but the video does show some clips of these so-called 'vintage' pedals and the modifications and marketing ploys for the on-going sales of various 'toys"...video will be boring to most anyone unless they were/are into the effects pedal area.
    as far as the Hendrix Big Muff story, and I call it a story, cause I remember hearing and reading that one long ago.
    I never was a tech. or anything near that...I just went by how it sounded on my 'shit'
    The guy that made and claims the Hendrix Muff thing, never claims he 'saw' Hendrix use it...he merely claims that he saw one on the floor of EL.(which could mean anything)...and as pointed out by another CTT remember on another thread...there is no evidence on 'available' sessions that sound like a Muff(I don't hear it either)...but then that's not what the video is about, I just added that because I know a lot of players have read the same thing as I did...
    picture and sound quality of video is good tho'.
    J.L.
    Thanks for the article JL,though funny,not entirely untrue !!! Remember verry well an old Morley/fuzz wah. I once obtained in the early 80 ies. You could push the wah pedal down and then kick into fuzz. So the sound went low (without treble) and then pushing through it gave an verry bright fuzz. Something like a "fuzz explosion" an awsome effect !!! Only the pedal was not verry reliable,and it ended with the Morley blowing up my small mixing table LOL.
    Tracker's still down,hope it'll get back soon now.

Thunderbaas.
    Last edited by thunderbaas; 09-24-12 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 642 Posts

thanks for sharing,and glad tracker is back

Thanks

I cant get this to download. I am a bit of a torrent noob and have stumbled my way through most of my downloads. Does anybody know why u-torrent shows a red bar when i click on it? thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenno5050 View Post
    I cant get this to download. I am a bit of a torrent noob and have stumbled my way through most of my downloads. Does anybody know why u-torrent shows a red bar when i click on it? thanks.
    Not dl'ing with me either. still sat at zero.
    Noobs unite, lol
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks

According to u-torrent
    8 seeds
    0 peers

Thanks

As of this post Oct. 30th 2012
    seeding fine now....
    9 seeds
    J.L.

Thanks

Thanks for the doc looks interesting. I myself have a Big Muff and love the thick fuzzy sound of it!

Thanks

Is this still seeding?
    I'd harbored hope that the intelligence that once inhabited novels or films would ingest rock.
    I was, perhaps, wrong.--Lou Reed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valleys Of Neptune View Post
    Is this still seeding?
    ---
    I uploaded it to Mega,
    this is the original rip I torrented some years back.
    Fuzz The Sound That Changed The World.zip(690.2 MB)
    https://mega.nz/#!ndVAwCbJ!xbTK-xNoc...oA4xWgO-390PDM

Here's the trailer:
    http://www.fuzzthemovie.com/
    13328_550x814.jpg
    OR You can watch it here(or download it with downloadhelper)
    don't know when the title got changed to 'revolutionized'
    http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title...ized_the_world

21. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks!
    I'd harbored hope that the intelligence that once inhabited novels or films would ingest rock.
    I was, perhaps, wrong.--Lou Reed