Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65

Thread: hendrix on blu-spec cd

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,997
    Thanks
    1,079
    Thanked 460 Times in 214 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Mastering? Well its whatever the CLIENT wants often as not.

    Just wondering what the set up is for the playback of these disc's and if whatever is put up against them is on the same system, the exact same system. Also was the test done "blind"?
    Just wondering how level the playing field is and how unbias the listener is :-)
    +1

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 503 Times in 21 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Just wondering what the set up is for the playback of these disc's and if whatever is put up against them is on the same system, the exact same system. Also was the test done "blind"?
    Just wondering how level the playing field is and how unbias the listener is :-)
    Just listened back both the Blu-Spec and the normal Legacy CD on a standard Akai CD player, a sony amp F270, and a set of Spirit Absolute 2 Studio |Speakers, nothing fance there.
    There was no blindfold involved, but my wife picked out the BluSpec as the better sounding one two out of two times, without me saying which one was which. I didn't even ask her to notice a difference, she just said the Blu Spec sounded more 'HiFi' .
    And my ears were definitely biassed... I like the new BluSpec

    Funnily enough there are those on the internet that say there can be no difference ( usually based on assumptions or theories ) and those that have listened and hear a noticeable difference, for instance here:
    http://www.highfidelity.pl/!ev/artyk..._2009/kts.html
    Qouting from this listening test:
    While with HQCD we could talk about preferences, then with Blu-spec CD the case was clear in both systems: those discs were much better than the ordinary CDs. So I humble myself – I’ll remind, that the first listening sessions of this ‘invention’ were disappointing, and I advised caution. Maybe this was a flaw of the disc we listened to then (Weather Report Heavy Weather), maybe it was due to the fact, that it was not a rigorous comparison – I do not know. I just know I was wrong. HQCD is a novelty we can fall to, but we do not have to, while the Blu-spec CD is a must. We will have to wait for the mini-LP, but even now, this is something really improving the quality of the sound, and something, that really brings a new quality to the game.

    Of course there is no proof if these positive opinions of listeners are 'unbiassed'

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bolexje For This Useful Post:


  4. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    i'd say if your not a vinyl guy,pull the trigger and get these discs,better sound than regular cd.the amplitude tests show quite an improvement.but if your stereo system sucks than it wont do much.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 384 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    i'm definitely not a vinyl guy and have to admit i'm a bit intrigued by this medium.

    what i'm curious about is would there be a difference to the WAV file if you ripped it compared to the 'normal' CD?
    there should be, right? should be able to see some difference in possibly amplitude or fequency response.
    either that, or its a placebo effect.

    is there a single disc you'd recommend for this, AYE/ABAL/ELL/BOG? or any will show a difference?
    thanks!

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:


  7. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    i'd go with electric ladyland first,i got band of gypsys,it sounds fantastic.alot of people raving about this format.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donniewn For This Useful Post:


  9. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,561
    Thanks
    3,046
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 929 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    I'll be looking out for one of these so I can check it out ............................... by ear, blind but no blind fold (:-))

    I can set it up so I can switch between the two formats if the difference (if any) is not clear.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:


  11. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 384 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Thanks to the person who sent me freshly ripped comparison samples I can report there IS a difference between the Legacy 2010 and Blu-Spec CD versions. The length of the tracks is identical, the amplitude is very nearly the same but the frequency spectrum IS different. I'm not reporting on what i hear but on what i can see by the way.

    FF, i'm curious to hear your report on the direct comparison with the method you had in mind.

    I'm a bit surprised by this, but pleasantly surprised this time

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:


  13. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,561
    Thanks
    3,046
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 929 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    Thanks to the person who sent me freshly ripped comparison samples I can report there IS a difference between the Legacy 2010 and Blu-Spec CD versions. The length of the tracks is identical, the amplitude is very nearly the same but the frequency spectrum IS different. I'm not reporting on what i hear but on what i can see by the way.

    FF, i'm curious to hear your report on the direct comparison with the method you had in mind.

    I'm a bit surprised by this, but pleasantly surprised this time
    To do a comparison i need the track as an audio file, cannot convert (long story). If that can be sorted i'll be happy to burn to disc (once i get the burner working with the OS).

    Just had a listen to the flac. Sounds different. Can't / wont say if i prefer it though.

    Question to those who read / rely on software to let them know what they like :-) Has this audio simply been played around with, loading the mid band?
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanks
    1,531
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 798 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    If you wanted to make a point make one we can verify.
    hxxp://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8376781/Jimi_Hendrix_Experience_[Blu_Spec_2]_Box_Set_(6_CD)

    PB description........."

    Ripped by Wbhendrix/Wmhendrix in uncompressed .WAV files.
    The quality of these discs cannot be matched by your typical CD release. There will always be haters that claim there is no difference. On standard ipod headphones, probably not but on a mid-fi to hi-fi system there is a large difference. Don't believe me? Download it yourself Six cardboard sleeve (mini LP) reissues from Jimi Hendrix and The Jimi Hendrix Experience released APril 10, 2013. They feature the high-fidelity Blu-spec CD2 format (compatible with standard CD players).
    *Blu-spec CD2 is the next generation Compact Disc that employs the Phase Transition Mastering, the technology developed for mastering of Blu-ray discs, to further perfect the acclaimed characteristics of Blu-spec CD. Fully compatible with standard CD players, Blu-spec CD2 completely alters the experience of music.

    This reissue series includes following titles:
    "Are You Experienced?,"
    "Axis:Bold As Love,"
    "Electric Ladyland,"
    "Band Of Gypsys,"
    "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun,"
    "Valley's Of Neptune."
    Attachment 21087
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 08-22-13 at 07:20 AM.

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,561
    Thanks
    3,046
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 929 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    hxxp://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8376781/Jimi_Hendrix_Experience_[Blu_Spec_2]_Box_Set_(6_CD)

    PB description........."

    Ripped by Wbhendrix/Wmhendrix in uncompressed .WAV files.
    The quality of these discs cannot be matched by your typical CD release. There will always be haters that claim there is no difference. On standard ipod headphones, probably not but on a mid-fi to hi-fi system there is a large difference. Don't believe me? Download it yourself Six cardboard sleeve (mini LP) reissues from Jimi Hendrix and The Jimi Hendrix Experience released APril 10, 2013. They feature the high-fidelity Blu-spec CD2 format (compatible with standard CD players).
    *Blu-spec CD2 is the next generation Compact Disc that employs the Phase Transition Mastering, the technology developed for mastering of Blu-ray discs, to further perfect the acclaimed characteristics of Blu-spec CD. Fully compatible with standard CD players, Blu-spec CD2 completely alters the experience of music.

    This reissue series includes following titles:
    "Are You Experienced?,"
    "Axis:Bold As Love,"
    "Electric Ladyland,"
    "Band Of Gypsys,"
    "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun,"
    "Valley's Of Neptune."
    Attachment 21087
    Play any format (bar overly compressed) thru' a reasonable HiFi and you will hear a significant difference. So the question is (not changed),
    Playing this format against a standard CD or vinyl pressing, will it highlight a large difference?

    I've not seen these to buy in the shops and to be honest I think it only fair to put up an original against my CD and / or LP of any given title.

    If anyone else can / wants to do this please report back with release, set up and the results of the blind test.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,894
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 384 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    So the question is (not changed),
    Playing this format against a standard CD or vinyl pressing, will it highlight a large difference?
    Define 'large difference'.
    There is a difference ..... i've heard it compared to the normal CD.
    Comparing it with any vinyl wont really tell you much IMHO.

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,561
    Thanks
    3,046
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 929 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    Define 'large difference'.
    There is a difference ..... i've heard it compared to the normal CD.
    Comparing it with any vinyl wont really tell you much IMHO.
    up against vinyl? i agree with your opinion but for me it is about what works (sounds) best and also penny for penny.
    large difference? not my comment, i lifted it from the previous post.................
    The quality of these discs cannot be matched by your typical CD release. There will always be haters that claim there is no difference. On standard ipod headphones, probably not but on a mid-fi to hi-fi system there is a large difference. Don't believe me? Download it yourself Six cardboard sleeve (mini LP) reissues from Jimi Hendrix and The Jimi Hendrix Experience released APril 10, 2013. They feature the high-fidelity Blu-spec CD2 format (compatible with standard CD players).
    *Blu-spec CD2 is the next generation Compact Disc that employs the Phase Transition Mastering, the technology developed for mastering of Blu-ray discs, to further perfect the acclaimed characteristics of Blu-spec CD. Fully compatible with standard CD players, Blu-spec CD2 completely alters the experience of music.

    u
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  18. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,485
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 310 Times in 154 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    This PB upload, why would it be as WAV files and not Flac?
    Is it to do with the format {Blu-Spec}, or just coincidence?
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanks
    1,531
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 798 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by manfree View Post
    This PB upload, why would it be as WAV files and not Flac?
    Is it to do with the format {Blu-Spec}, or just coincidence?
    I think the uploader is just trying to offer the rawest and closest thing to a exact copy of the disc for comparison,
    wouldn't make any sense to up a BluSpec in MP3 or anything else.
    that was the only reason I posted the 'link' in the 1st place...seems these BluSpecs are only manufactured in Japan(Sony) and cost a bit for the import(amazon.com does have a few), and we are not going to find them in a common store.

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?...qid=1377234135

    Personally(as some have stated) I don't think the average CD player is going to produce much of a 'difference',
    ....I think it really boils down to what 'system' one has for listening. I don't have anything near a 'high-end' player.
    My current PC has HD audio with the 7.1 card, but just changing the speakers makes a 'big' difference in anything I play.
    Of course a PC can use a spectrum analysis to 'see' the difference, even if one's ears can't hear it.
    I knew there were a few Hendrix ones out, but didn't know about the complete 'canon'(the 3 LPs) being released.
    The link is just for checking out a possible difference,...just D/L a track or two...ya' know....something to play with.
    I don't have any opinion either way if they are better sounding, most people are saying that some CDs are incredibly better, some say some CDs are worse...they attribute it to the original source used and not the CD making process.
    NOTE: even a FLAC has to be 'de-coded' to WAV before it can play.

    basic info Sony BluSpec:

    Blu-spec CD describes a Red Book Compact Disc manufactured by a proprietary process introduced by Sony Music Entertainment Japan in late 2008.[1] Its name derives from the similar manufacturing process to that used to create Blu-ray Discs. Instead of a traditional infra-red laser, a blue laser is used for recording the pits on the CD master that is needed for disc replication. The blue laser creates more precise pits, reducing distortion in the optical read-out process.[2]

    On 28 September 2012, Sony Music Entertainment Japan announced "Blu-spec CD2" or BSCD2, a progression of the Blu-spec CD format which employs a more precise BD cutting machine, a master disc that is made from the same smooth material as silicon wafers for chip manufacture, and a different recording layer material for the master disc. Sony refers to this process as "Phase Transition Mastering".[3]

    A Blu-spec CD can be played on all CD players and does not require a blue laser to be read.[4] The same holds true for Blu-spec CD2 discs.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-spec_CD

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:


  21. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    97
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    right now i'm a bit tired of the music industry.i'm going to upgrade my dac and wires before dumping any more cash into hi-res discs. i like the PS audio dac,and some silver tempo electric interconnects. but as far as jimi digital this is as good as we are allowed to get.(no sacd).

  22. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks
    327
    Thanked 793 Times in 279 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by donniewn View Post
    right now i'm a bit tired of the music industry.i'm going to upgrade my dac and wires before dumping any more cash into hi-res discs. i like the PS audio dac,and some silver tempo electric interconnects. but as far as jimi digital this is as good as we are allowed to get.(no sacd).
    That sounds like an excellent plan. Some "experts" are even saying optical media will be dead as a format within 10 years. Of course there is no way to know if that is true (personally I think it may become a niche product like vinyl) but given the state of the industry and looking at trends, to invest in a new disc format at this point would probably mean you meet the definition of a completist ! Personally the hype on these blu spec discs has piqued my curiosity, but my rational side questions if they could truly sound better than the 96/24 transfers of the all analogue core LPs that are floating around. I doubt I'll pay the money to find out.

  23. #57
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    744
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 243 Times in 94 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Am i reading this correct : this is a CD but costs several times more then normal cd's ?

  24. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,125
    Thanks
    1,531
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 798 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    Quote Originally Posted by alien View Post
    Am i reading this correct : this is a CD but costs several times more then normal cd's ?
    Yep.....but made differently....
    One of the existing formats for CDs.
    mainly for 'audiophiles' or people that have 'high end' digital music players.
    Only available in Japan(where they are made by Sony)

    http://www.farsidemusic.com/acatalog...MATSJAPAN.html

    from what I've read about 'high end' audiophile equipment, even if these CDs costs twice as much as they do now, it would be nothing to the buyer(remember this is Japan, not the world-wide market)
    The average music player person here in the USA, just pops some plugs into their head and away they go....USA is not known for a top end audio market.
    J.L.
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 03-08-14 at 10:20 PM.

  25. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,561
    Thanks
    3,046
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 929 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    just got a COPY of the Axis disc so thought I'd bump the thread
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:


  27. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks
    327
    Thanked 793 Times in 279 Posts

    Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

    A review versus various other versions/formats you may have please !

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhmason For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBitty (VBTT) 4 for XBT v1.1 CUSTOM by Toolmanwill