Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: hendrix on blu-spec cd

Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 798 Posts

Re: hendrix on blu-spec cd

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    just got a COPY of the Axis disc so thought I'd bump the thread
    I know this is an old thread, but after reading the Jimpress analysis of all the Axis CD versions....

Axis+(JP+draft).doc (420 KB)
    https://mega.nz/#!HQ0ygSAB!th0BXlW_r...M0rsxUfQebUPxI

...what conclusion did you come up with.
    I know you have a high end system so I'm curious as to what you found out about the Axis Blu-spec.
    Thanks for your time

Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 930 Posts

High end system? Subjective at best :-)

Looking back [briefly] on this thread it is clear a number of points were being debated. That as with elsewhere leads to frustration and angry replies.

On the one hand this was a debate about a format, while the other was a debate about a specific disc. The JP article I think focused more on the disc but did touch on the format as required. Been a long time since I viewed or thought about this or the JP article.

I got the usual vitriolic replies on another forum for saying there was no difference in playback of the BAL disc to my ears and the argument was X person [reputable audio engineer!!] said this and said that, you need a Blue Spec player, the Blue Spec files cannot be copied in a way that demonstrates them being "better".

Bottom line, I played these files on a CD player [old but reliable] and found................ There was no difference in sound outside of a loud[er] master.

And talking of mastering, there appears to be a lot of self confusion in this thread between cutting a CD and Mastering.

A friend did a check of the files in some software and it came back as a "Hot" master on the Blu Spec. Same hot master as the then red book 16 bit CD. I think the difference being heard [that's not better as that is too subjective a word] is the hotter mastering, it can and does catch us out, even when we are aware of it!

The debate [elsewhere] moved to Blu Spec 2, only to reinforce the "how the debate is moved" to suit a point of view. It has to be noted, the disc in question preceded Blu Spec 2 so that becomes an irrelevant point to the debate regard the ABAL disc.

I read from all of the research I did regard these disc's that regardless of Blu Spec 1 or 2 they require a machine than can read the different way in which the disc was cut. Maybe hooking a Blu Ray player to a HiFi would allow any difference to show more clearly. I don't know because I never bothered to try it. There seemed and still does, that I would need a new chain in the HiFi set up simply for a handful [at best] of Hendrix disc's cut this way.

The very bottom line is Blu Spec should allow what audio is cut into the disc to heard "better" as the specific operation to make these disc's has said to be an improvement. But there needs to be a better front end in which to present / read that disc. Just because it is a format that can be played on a *standard CD* player will not make that sound any different as it can't read the information any differently! Maybe new CD players have improved lasers that can cope better with this sort of change?
    All of this is underpinned by the fact that regardless of engineering, if the mastering is hot / poor or whatever in the first instance any differences will be minimal, bit like pissing into the wind as they say!

I was far from convinced we get any benefit from spending a huge sum of money on these disc's.

** Change the stylus of a cartridge to a different shape and you get a different read of the grooves. In over all terms, generally as you move up the chain it gets "better" but not always as what is being read impacts the reading.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    High end system? Subjective at best :-)

Looking back [briefly] on this thread it is clear a number of points were being debated. That as with elsewhere leads to frustration and angry replies.

On the one hand this was a debate about a format, while the other was a debate about a specific disc. The JP article I think focused more on the disc but did touch on the format as required. Been a long time since I viewed or thought about this or the JP article.

I got the usual vitriolic replies on another forum for saying there was no difference in playback of the BAL disc to my ears and the argument was X person [reputable audio engineer!!] said this and said that, you need a Blue Spec player, the Blue Spec files cannot be copied in a way that demonstrates them being "better".

Bottom line, I played these files on a CD player [old but reliable] and found................ There was no difference in sound outside of a loud[er] master.

And talking of mastering, there appears to be a lot of self confusion in this thread between cutting a CD and Mastering.

A friend did a check of the files in some software and it came back as a "Hot" master on the Blu Spec. Same hot master as the then red book 16 bit CD. I think the difference being heard [that's not better as that is too subjective a word] is the hotter mastering, it can and does catch us out, even when we are aware of it!

The debate [elsewhere] moved to Blu Spec 2, only to reinforce the "how the debate is moved" to suit a point of view. It has to be noted, the disc in question preceded Blu Spec 2 so that becomes an irrelevant point to the debate regard the ABAL disc.

I read from all of the research I did regard these disc's that regardless of Blu Spec 1 or 2 they require a machine than can read the different way in which the disc was cut. Maybe hooking a Blu Ray player to a HiFi would allow any difference to show more clearly. I don't know because I never bothered to try it. There seemed and still does, that I would need a new chain in the HiFi set up simply for a handful [at best] of Hendrix disc's cut this way.

The very bottom line is Blu Spec should allow what audio is cut into the disc to heard "better" as the specific operation to make these disc's has said to be an improvement. But there needs to be a better front end in which to present / read that disc. Just because it is a format that can be played on a *standard CD* player will not make that sound any different as it can't read the information any differently! Maybe new CD players have improved lasers that can cope better with this sort of change?
    All of this is underpinned by the fact that regardless of engineering, if the mastering is hot / poor or whatever in the first instance any differences will be minimal, bit like pissing into the wind as they say!

I was far from convinced we get any benefit from spending a huge sum of money on these disc's.

** Change the stylus of a cartridge to a different shape and you get a different read of the grooves. In over all terms, generally as you move up the chain it gets "better" but not always as what is being read impacts the reading.
    I'll wait for the RUX + Axis SACDs in August this year

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kees1954 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kees1954 View Post
    I'll wait for the RUX + Axis SACDs in August this year
    Hear, hear! The fact that these will be (are) mastered by Bernie Grundman from the masters will hopefully mean it'll sound better to most on just a regular old CD player.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 930 Posts

Me too guys.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan