Original Air Date:23 April 2007
    Attachment 17969
    American Experience - Summer of Love.avi.torrent

Attachment 17818

American Experience presents Summer of Love,
    a striking picture of San Francisco's Haight Ashbury
    district during the summer of 1967 -- from the utopian beginnings,
    when peace and love prevailed, to the chaos, unsanitary conditions,
    and widespread drug use that ultimately signaled the end.
    Academy Award-nominated filmmakers Gail Dolgin and Vicente Franco
    (Daughter from Danang) examine the social and cultural forces that
    sparked the largest migration of young people in America's history.

Attachment 17816

"Many of these idealistic youth were products of the 1950s with its
    confusing mix of post-war affluence and the threat of nuclear annihilation,"
    says Dolgin. "San Francisco, in 1967, seemed like mecca, the center of a
    visionary new society, one that rejected war, hatred, conformity and money.
    The Haight Ashbury, for a brief period, was the playing field for a new way of life."

"Everybody had a different entrance point," explains San Francisco music critic
    Joel Selvin. "Some people came in because of the sexual liberation prospect.
    Some people came in because of the appeal of the music. Some people came in because
    they were angry and scared about the draft and the war. But once you were in that
    vortex, once you were in that swirling miasma of social and personal change,
    all the doors were open."

Attachment 17815

"Thousands of kids were ready to go through those doors and find out what was
    on the other side," says Franco. "The cliché of "Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll,"
    often used to describe the Summer of Love, misses some of the more profound
    new horizons being explored. Love, personal growth, mysticism, community, and
    authenticity were at the core of the experimental society."

Attachment 17817

In January 1967, the thousands of youth already in San Francisco descended on
    Golden Gate Park for a Human Be-In. The media flocked to the event, putting
    hippies in the national spotlight for the first time. And once the press offered
    a window into the world of Haight Ashbury, even more young people flooded in.
    "The city of San Francisco has been warned of a hippie invasion come summer in
    numbers almost too staggering to comprehend," declared one TV news reporter.

The new arrivals were looking to "turn on, tune in, and drop out," the popular
    refrain that invited people to an existential experience courtesy of LSD.
    "We really thought that drugs were going to change the world," recalls Mary Kasper,
    who was in the Haight from the start of the movement. "We thought if you turned on,
    if you took acid, you would really change, because we had changed from those
    experiences of cosmic oneness."

Attachment 17814

San Francisco was fast becoming an outdoor society where free music was as readily
    available as free love. The Grateful Dead became the poster children for a generation,
    offering free concerts to anyone who wanted to listen. The music coming out of
    Haight Ashbury only served to draw more young people to the movement. One hit song
    beckoned the young and the curious and became an anthem for the time --
    "If You're Going to San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)."

But along with free music, free love, and "cosmic oneness," the onslaught of people
    also brought a lack of housing, shortage of food, rampant drug problems, and sexually
    transmitted diseases. Free clinics and soup kitchens served the massive population,
    estimated to be from fifty thousand to one hundred thousand at its peak. The Haight
    soon became a caricature of its idealistic beginnings, as shops catered to
    souvenir-hungry tourists and weekend hippies. College students with no intention
    of "dropping out" took on hippie personas for the summer. Hundreds of young runaways
    wandered the streets aimlessly. For many, the center of the counterculture no longer
    seemed a shimmering wonderland. By fall, the numbers began to drop as precipitously
    as they had grown.

Attachment 17821

The Summer of Love was a fleeting moment in the turbulent history of the 1960s.
    But its underlying message left an indelible impression on those who witnessed it.
    "So many of those things from that time have stayed with me, certainly the importance
    of community," says Kasper. "I thought we could change the world, and I thought we
    could make it a better place. And I think in some ways we succeeded."

"1967 represents a touchstone and a turning point for so many people," says
    American Experience executive producer Mark Samels. "The Summer of Love was the
    moment when hippies and all the beliefs they represented took center stage and
    became a cultural phenomenon."

-----------------
    Note: I posted the Berkeley/ Laural Canyon/Summer of Love(Haight-Ashbury) videos just for historical
    reference to the 'USA West Coast " in the 60's...which was some of the political and musical views of the 'people' that welcomed Jimi Hendrix at Monterey....

The map below is just to show the relation to the area/locale of the videos.

Attachment 17823
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 11-15-12 at 06:02 PM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: The American Experience: Summer of Love

Really enjoyed this: a fair and non-sensationalized account of events that provides coverage of the Diggers, who were an integral part of the 'scene.'
    Hope to upload a related documentary later this week once I find the time to create some screenshots as requested the last time I upped something..

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valleys Of Neptune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,463 Times in 733 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valleys Of Neptune View Post
    ....Hope to upload a related documentary later this week once I find the time to create some screenshots as requested the last time I upped something..
    I don't think screenshots are 'required'...I just do it to give some kind of 'sample' as to the video quality, ratio, etc.
    but of course if you have time....screenshots are welcome in my book....they can offer a little better understanding as to the download...with bandwidth limits,etc....it can give a down loader more choice if they wish to 'grab' it or not.
    with all the links that have been disappearing over the last year...I pretty much 'grab' anything and then decide later whether to keep it or not....lately I haven't had any gig limit/restrictions...tho' it can change from month to month.
    thanks
    J.L.
    PS: On some 'movie' sites..it is not uncommon to have a 1-2mt. video clip in with the torrent to give the down loader an accurate 'sample' of video & audio quality.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valleys Of Neptune View Post
    Really enjoyed this: a fair and non-sensationalized account of events that provides coverage of the Diggers.
    Anything on the Diggers would be great
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    They have a website that archives "scanned and rare Sixties Ephemera " (and true to form a 'virtual' Free Store):

http://www.diggers.org/
    Last edited by Valleys Of Neptune; 11-15-12 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Found a feature length documentary

https://youtu.be/Uv8Kn3KXBMQ
    I'd harbored hope that the intelligence that once inhabited novels or films would ingest rock.
    I was, perhaps, wrong.--Lou Reed

Thanks

I think this is officially released and still in print: https://www.amazon.com/American-Expe...dp/B000OCY668/