Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems connecting to CTT?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 856 Posts

Problems connecting to CTT?

After the site changed servers I had issues connecting to CTT beofre a certain time of the day, really odd.

So, if you suffer similar issues here or with another site try the following:

· Reload the site directly from the Internet. This can be achieved by pressing CTRL + F5 keys at the same time on your favourite browser (Firefox, Chrome, Explorer, etc.)
    · Temporarily disable your computers firewall and close any anti-virus software that may be running in the background.
    · Clear your DNS cache to make sure that it is not an ISP specific issue.
    (Start > Command Prompt > ipconfig /flushdns)

· Use a public DNS service such as OpenDNS or Google Public DNS
    · Switch off the modem, wait a few seconds and turn on again.
    · Clear the cache and cookies on your browser. Exit your browser completely before trying to access the website again.

I found point 1 useless. I had tried points 2,4,5, and 6 previously without any luck.
    I tried point 3 (public DNS) and followed that up with the following points.
    Seems to have worked for me. Good luck

With thanks to Hawkfan 369.
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fenders Fingers For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Problems connecting to CTT?

Nothing is helping.. I get "connection refused" on all my torrents.. as of about 5 days ago.. As far as DNS server, how would that effect torrents? I use Open DNS anyways so it's not a issue.. What's up?

Thanks

At the moment the Tracker is Offline! (See below the Chatbox on page one)
    "Fucking Hell, I Broke a String!!"
    1968 Voodoo Chile sessions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to manfree For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have some CTT torrents working round the clock. Whenever I can't access the site, uTorrent client reports that the CTT tracker is 'off-line' as well.
    Strange that these two are connected when we don't need to be logged-in to use the tracker.
    C'mon, CTT 'gurus', try to resolve the issue. There's at least few hundreds of us whose daily happiness is intimately connected with
    (the existence of) this site.
    :-))

Thanks

Connecting (or otherwise) to CTT and the torrent side of things are two issues.
    The above is for connection issues and NOT torrent issues.
    Makkinen, have you tried any or all the points above to help resolve your CONNECTION issues. When that issue is sorted then please let us know what issues you have with torrents, thanks.

Thanks

I've had access issues to www.crosstowntorrents.org for a number of months now, rarely able to connect. This morning I've actually had some success by using the IP address, 199.122.122.25. Is this pointing to a problem with the DNS used by CTT?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TwoAlpha View Post
    I've had access issues to www.crosstowntorrents.org for a number of months now, rarely able to connect. This morning I've actually had some success by using the IP address, 199.122.122.25. Is this pointing to a problem with the DNS used by CTT?
    Flush your DNS. See OP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Flush your DNS. See OP
    I'm using a version of linux as an O.S., it doesn't have a local DNS resolver cache. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any relief for my difficulties in the OP. This is an intermittent issue that also affects the torrent side as well, neither can resolve through www.crosstowntorrents.org. Shortly after midnite last night the roadblock cleared for a stretch and I was able to connect to the site normally. The one torrent I had running on CTT started working as well. Crapped out again sometime during the night, it's back to no connection via www.crosstowntorrents.org as of 7:00am. Connecting via the IP address appears to be reliable, but it's no help on the torrent side. As usual, I begin to suspect that our local ISP has been "tweeking" whenever my internet connection gets a little tattered. Occasionally it's not even their fault as it really is a long reach back to civilization from here. But, others who are a long way from here seem to be having similar issues with www.crosstowntorrents.org.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TwoAlpha View Post
    I'm using a version of linux as an O.S., it doesn't have a local DNS resolver cache. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any relief for my difficulties in the OP. This is an intermittent issue that also affects the torrent side as well, neither can resolve through www.crosstowntorrents.org. Shortly after midnite last night the roadblock cleared for a stretch and I was able to connect to the site normally. The one torrent I had running on CTT started working as well. Crapped out again sometime during the night, it's back to no connection via www.crosstowntorrents.org as of 7:00am. Connecting via the IP address appears to be reliable, but it's no help on the torrent side. As usual, I begin to suspect that our local ISP has been "tweeking" whenever my internet connection gets a little tattered. Occasionally it's not even their fault as it really is a long reach back to civilization from here. But, others who are a long way from here seem to be having similar issues with www.crosstowntorrents.org.
    Sorry I can't help out more. I know how frustrating these issues are.
    Anyone else here using Linux?
    All I can suggest is you do a search and see if this is an issue and has known solutions.

Thanks

Thanks FF, I'll keep working at it. At least I can access the forum consistently via the IP, won't be such a stranger now!

Thanks

Your welcome 2alpha.
    I'm sure folk will help out audio wise if you get stuck with downloads.
    British Columbia, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)

Thanks

Yeah, it really is "Beautiful" British Columbia, even our vehicle license plates say so! Downloads aren't much of a problem as anything that's really "new" doesn't appear very often. I had managed to get every torrent on the site downloaded well before the big crash of a few years ago, and have kept up with any new items as they show up. It's not being able to share that irritates me. Anyhow, thought I would provide another clue for the webmaster... Even when connecting to the site via the I.P., the shoutbox and any images etc. on the home page can take a long time to load (over two minutes and counting this time). Not always the case though, quite often they load normally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenders Fingers View Post
    Anyone else here using Linux?
    I'm on Linux.

For whatever reason crosstowntorrents.org wasn't in my ISP's DNS servers, but since I run my own I just created a new "A record". Since that's not an option for most people:

You could add a line like this to your hosts file (/etc/hosts) so you don't have to use the IP address all the time.

Code:
    199.233.233.25   crosstowntorrents.org www.crosstowntorrents.org
    Another way you could "solve" it would be to use a new (or another) DNS server by adding it to /etc/resolv.conf. To use OpenDNS, add

Code:
    nameserver 208.67.220.220
    nameserver 208.67.222.222
    To use Google's DNS server, add

Code:
    nameserver 8.8.8.8
    hth

16. The Following User Says Thank You to crazee_canuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the tips crazee_canuck. I had tried those two DNS servers previously with no improvement in the situation.

The root problem has taken a break over the last couple of days, connection via crosstowntorrents.org is working as it should, and torrents are working as they should.
    It's been intermittent over the last six months or so, I'm not expecting it to behave for long.

Thanks

I'm sure it has little to do with the individual. A server issue?

I could not connect last night to CTT, Even flushing the dns didn't work but a search showed that CTT was up and running.
    A lot of the issue have only occured since the last change of Server.

Thanks

Did you try http://199.233.233.25 FF?

For me, since using the IP seems to work all of the time, that should mean that the server is working all of the time. The problem appears to be with whoever is providing the service of resolving the url to the ip.

A little digging reveals...
    Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com I doubt they're the problem.
    Name Server:NS1.METALLIFUKINCA.COM Hmmm?
    Name Server:NS2.METALLIFUKINCA.COM
    Last edited by TwoAlpha; 03-23-13 at 01:16 AM. Reason: provide breathing room between sentences.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TwoAlpha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,512 Times in 285 Posts

I want to that the Canadian Linux users for their help - I use Ubuntu and Ktorrent - and have been having the same problems since the site changed servers - after having no problems at all for years...but I have tried using Windows and utorrent/Vuze and I am still having the same problems of not being able to connect to the tracker... the announce URL just doesn't work for me anymore with any torrent client on any platform - well I am saying this is the problem because networking is not my forte at all - and I can't really articulate my problem any better...

Thanks

Hi funkydrummer, I will try to expand the TwoAlpha´s explanation, (thank you for it TwoAlpha)

The DNS server is one that when your computer want to connect to one site and you are using the name of it, it converts the words (http://crosstowntorrents.org) to numbers, cause the routing "dialog" between servers employ numbers, no letters..(in the internet protocol, IP)

If the DNS server provided by your ISP company doesn´t "know" the site http://crosstowntorrents.org, so maybe you can change the words for numbers in the torrents that are active in your computer (and no working at this time), so its not needed the conversion of the DNS server to numbers, cause you are asking the site with numbers directly..

If you want to try, you should point to the torrent properties ( of some no working torrent) in your torrent client
    (in utorrent it's with the right button menu of the mouse),
    and you will see the tracker name plus your key Code (don’t publish it please, its personal for you..
    I replaced mine whit xxxxx in the example), something like this:

http://www.crosstowntorrents.org:555...xxxxx/announce

and there you should change this part
    http://www.crosstowntorrents.org

for this one
    http://199.233.233.25

the final result should be like:
    http://199.233.233.25:5555/xxxxxxxxx...xxxxx/announce

Wishing this helps, thank you for all your sharing kindness .

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pancho1111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Red face Re: Problems connecting to CTT?

If you are having problems with CTT access...

Here is the add on you should use with the FireFox Web Browser. If you are not using Firefox, you should switch, cause it's the best one. download it

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

It is a plugin called Anonymox that Firefox uses for a proxy website:

http://www.anonymox.net/en

Disable it when you are not trying to access CTT, cause it will slow performance speed a bit.

After the download , in the upper left corner, go to "tools". then "Add Ons", where you will see it listed

enable or disable, then restart the browser on the link right there.

So, if ya can't get to CTT, enable it, then disable when you are finished. All it does is take you to an intermediary server.

Hopes this helps!

...and flush your DNS

Thanks

Sometimes you may have to disable all firewalls b4 loading and download programs from a reliable source (CNET, Firefox etc.) Be sure to check the source URL b4 downloading.

You may be thinking, turn off my security system and then download something, no way!

Well, after you load it run a scan if you are still worried about it
    As standard procedure, run the scan immediately after loading it.
    That is, don't open the program or restart your computer with the
    unscanned program downloaded.