Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crash Landing Composite on PH&A

Thanks
    Thanked 3,773 Times in 316 Posts

Crash Landing Composite on PH&A

Hey Folks

I realise there has been some chat in other posts about this - but wanted to put in its own thread
    Have been chatting with some CTTers off-forum about the pedigree of the new CL composite...
    I had to listen to it back-to-back with boot versions to hear what was going on...
    Obviously vox from previous versions that we have which have been glued onto "new"? backing...
    I am still doing some forensics - but I am wondering whether the drums on the boot versions we have, such as Crash Landing Master Reels etc...are actually the then-new overdubbed drums from Douglas' musicians - and this is the first time we have heard the original Rocky Isaac ones?
    Because the versions CL on boots in the past have themselves been composite (some - like the one that appeared on original Crash Landing album) - and the fact that the drums were taken off the boot versions - in preparation for overdubbing - makes me wonder, if we have, in the past only heard the overdubs rather than original session drums...
    I could be completely off-base here...but I am just trying to work it out...

Further to this...I was wondering why a version of CL wasn't released by EH earlier - and I have a theory - that they have only recently found the tape with the original drums. That the previous boot versions were the overdubbed drums and the originals were wiped (off a safety copy of master or something) - for new session drummer in 1974.

***ADDENDUM***

After a lot of listening between the boot versions - I think I have worked out how EK has made the CL composite...and this how it goes...
    For those of you who have the Crash Landing Master Reels boot...
    ON CLMR boot there is CL 1,2,3
    CL 1 has only panned guitar and bass - this CL1 is MAINLY the same take that is used on PH&A the original Rocky Issac drums were wiped (this also lends more credence to my theory of the drums we have heard on the boots not being original) - I have matched it up and it is pretty much the same until the guitar solo.
    Now the "new" guitar solo sounds to me like from a session jam or something - when I first heard PH&A it sounded out of place (listen when it goes into - "look at you all lovely-dovey" you can hear the edit - that section comes from elsewhere...a rehearsal or something...it then goes back to booted CL 1 version.
    CL1 - I think this was an instrumental take and Douglas wiped the drums. EH have now found this in its original version.
    While the vocal composite of the new CL is made up of vox from the CL 2 and CL 3 that is on CLMR boot.
    Basically it is a combination of those three takes with the guitar solo flown in from elsewhere - probably a rehearsal.
    Last edited by funkydrummer; 03-06-13 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks

Re: Crash Landing Composite on PH&A

I agree. Up until this point, we've only heard the Douglas alterations and composites. Your theory sounds in-line with the liner notes for this release and also WCSB.

Under "Message to Love":
    In 1974, producer Alan Douglas edited the original December 1969/January 1970 multi-track master, removing a portion of the song's second verse. [...] Unfortunately, the edited section was lost and never turned over to the Hendrix family when they assumed control of the tape library in 1995.
    Under "Bolero"/"Hey Baby":
    The original July 1, 1970 multi-track master had been inexplicably cut apart in January 1976 [possibly an error for 1974 or 1975]. In recent years, Experience Hendrix has been able to restore many of these original multi-track tapes...
    It would appear that Douglas (and/or Bongiovi, et al.) not only overdubbed sections of the original multi-tracks, but actually deleted portions of them as well; further, not all of the Hendrix material was handed over to EH after they gained control over the legacy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, loud and clear: FUCK ALAN DOUGLAS.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trampledunderfoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It would appear that Douglas (and/or Bongiovi, et al.) not only overdubbed sections of the original multi-tracks, but actually deleted portions of them as well; further, not all of the Hendrix material was handed over to EH after they gained control over the legacy.
    Yes, I think this is the case - I think CL is another that was tampered with like MTL master.
    BUT - I am not sure I agree with the liner notes on the Bolero/Hey Baby segue - because Hey Baby wasn't finished, so why would Hendrix have wanted to link two tracks that were unfinished? Or one that was reasonably heavily worked on (Bolero) with one that was unfinished (Hey Baby)...Unless it was like a "rough sketch"? But I think they are being somewhat fanciful about that one...It didn't make sense to me...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, loud and clear: FUCK ALAN DOUGLAS.
    One thing I will say, as controversial as it may be - I think that Douglas and Co made a better composite CL than EK has! At least they got a handle on the timing...I think the basic bootleg composite grooves along better than this "new" one (and I prefer it to the released CL album version). I also don't understand why they didn't use the guitar solo that AD did...
    I have a feeling that EH might be a bit paranoid about using the same methods to put tracks together as he did - so they are finding "different bits" so they can't be accused of copying the composites!
    Anyway...

Thanks

One other thing about AD, most of the studio outtakes we have came from him I suspect. Love him or hate him, we got a lot of Jimi stuff from the studio in our boot collections. You'd think EH would come up with a plan, like maybe release session discs on Dagger. Take a day, make a disc or two and flog it. At least we'd hear the stuff finally! V

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimiRules For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    I am not sure I agree with the liner notes on the Bolero/Hey Baby segue - because Hey Baby wasn't finished, so why would Hendrix have wanted to link two tracks that were unfinished? Or one that was reasonably heavily worked on (Bolero) with one that was unfinished (Hey Baby)...Unless it was like a "rough sketch"? But I think they are being somewhat fanciful about that one...It didn't make sense to me...
    I was surprised with the association of the two songs but listening to them, the guitar tone is identical (and Jimi had mentioned to Keith Altham that the title song was preceded by a "Bolero type thing" - or something like that). We know that "Hey Baby" wasn't a finished master ("Is the microphone on?") so he would have come back to it. However I don't know what he was up to on the very tedious "Bolero". Perhaps he planned to overdub more guitar.
    The association of the two was a waste of space on WCSB.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purple jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 545 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    I was surprised with the association of the two songs but listening to them, the guitar tone is identical (and Jimi had mentioned to Keith Altham that the title song was preceded by a "Bolero type thing" - or something like that). We know that "Hey Baby" wasn't a finished master ("Is the microphone on?") so he would have come back to it. However I don't know what he was up to on the very tedious "Bolero". Perhaps he planned to overdub more guitar.
    The association of the two was a waste of space on WCSB.
    ^ Presumably Jimi was actually referring to the instrumental intro of Hey Baby. Billy Cox has spoken about this part, mentioned that they saw this as a "classical music" influence.
    Don't think the WCSB liner notes say that Bolero was an intro to Hey Baby on the master tape? Just that Douglas had cut the master of Bolero out, whatever session tape that was on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    ^ Presumably Jimi was actually referring to the instrumental intro of Hey Baby. Billy Cox has spoken about this part, mentioned that they saw this as a "classical music" influence.
    Don't think the WCSB liner notes say that Bolero was an intro to Hey Baby on the master tape? Just that Douglas had cut the master of Bolero out, whatever session tape that was on.
    The liners do indeed say that, based on the recently recovered multi-tracks, the intention appears to have been that "Bolero" would proceed "Hey Baby."

Listening to them...it makes sense. I like these releases, but it's like beating a dead horse here.

I feel the need to reiterate: Fuck Alan Douglas. A handful of positives does not outweigh the amount of awful that came about during his handling of the music.

Thanks

After a lot of listening between the boot versions - I think I have worked out how EK has made the CL composite...and this how it goes...
    For those of you who have the Crash Landing Master Reels boot...
    ON CLMR boot there is CL 1,2,3
    CL 1 has only panned guitar and bass - this CL1 is MAINLY the same take that is used on PH&A the original Rocky Issac drums were wiped (this also lends more credence to my theory of the drums we have heard on the boots not being original) - I have matched it up and it is pretty much the same until the guitar solo.
    i compared ph&a with (5) from paper airplanes (bass/guitar only), and they differ at 1:02 into the tune.
    sometimes when he does a bunch of takes, the takes sound very similar to each other.
    i didn't go beyond 1:02, but both seem to be the same timing (4:15).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to copen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimiRules View Post
    One other thing about AD, most of the studio outtakes we have came from him I suspect. Love him or hate him, we got a lot of Jimi stuff from the studio in our boot collections.
    Weren't these boots "leaked" by his engineers, i.e. not by Douglas himself? Wish we had one at EH headquarters :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by copen View Post
    i compared ph&a with (5) from paper airplanes (bass/guitar only), and they differ at 1:02 into the tune.
    sometimes when he does a bunch of takes, the takes sound very similar to each other.
    i didn't go beyond 1:02, but both seem to be the same timing (4:15).
    There is definitely some rhythm guitar pieces flown in as well - from what is called CL 2 on the Master Reels boot...at least one section matches perfectly with the "new" one...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,617 Times in 2,464 Posts

I think that Douglas and Co made a better composite CL than EK has!
    AD didn't just make a composite! That's what all the noise was and is about. He made an entirely new backing track, and edited it to include a couple of bits of Jimi's rhythm guitar, the solo is not a complete solo, it's bits of solos patched together with bits of whatisnames new lead guitar. Plastered on girlie chorus, percussion, heavy compression, reverb etc. The only thing on it that's really Jimi is his vocal. If you took that off you'd be left with an Alan Douglas cover of Hendrix tune, played by session men,with a few of bits of JH guitar from various sources edited in. It's a mess.

I have matched it up and it is pretty much the same until the guitar solo
    ie it's not the same, it's different, but it's very similar until the guitar solo

While the vocal composite of the new CL is made up of vox from the CL 2 and CL 3 that is on CLMR boot.

The vocals have already been dealt with, they are almost entirely the same take as the vocal AD used (apart from 3 & 1/2 lines replaced with almost identical and a 2 line chorus, edited in from the other vocal take), but some repeated lines and words have been removed here and there by Kramer to make it fit, as the music is from a different take.
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-07-13 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks

AD didn't just make a composite! That's what all the noise was and is about. He made an entirely new backing track, and edited it to include a couple of bits of Jimi's rhythm guitar, the solo is not a complete solo, it's bits of solos patched together with bits of whatisnames new lead guitar. Plastered on girlie chorus, percussion, heavy compression, reverb etc. The only thing on it that's really Jimi is his vocal. If you took that off you'd be left with an Alan Douglas cover of Hendrix tune, played by session men,with a few of bits of JH guitar from various sources edited in. It's a mess.
    Well, I am referring to the version on Crash Landing Master Reels boot rather than the final album...
    On that boot, it is definitely Jimi - these are pre-overdubs - but the drums are surely in doubt. The bass on the boots is a bit rougher, and makes me believe it is also original, although I didn't may that much attention to the bass...that is what led to me thinking that perhaps CL 1 was MAINLY the same backing take as we now have...

ie it's not the same, it's different, but it's very similar until the guitar solo
    Well I had it in a audio editor - changed the speed slightly of CL 1 so they match - and they are so close as to be the same for my money...MOST ANYWAY - some other sections are from CL 2 etc as I wrote. Which also matched up perfectly with what we now have. This is why the versions on CLMR boot are Jimi, and not session player...I should have kept the audio samples FYI. I got rid of them after messing about...If I get time I will do an A/B.

The vocals have already been dealt with, they are almost entirely the same take as the vocal AD used (apart from 3 & 1/2 lines replaced with almost identical and a 2 line chorus, edited in from the other vocal take), but some repeated lines and words have been removed here and there by Kramer to make it fit, as the music is from a different take.
    Yes indeed...

Thanks

Well, I am referring to the version on Crash Landing Master Reels boot rather than the final album...
    You just made a vague blanket statement hence my reply.

This is why the versions on CLMR boot are Jimi, and not session player.
    But not on the Reprise CL release, which has session player all over it, which is what I was clearly talking about

Well I had it in a audio editor - changed the speed slightly of CL 1 so they match - and they are so close as to be the same for my money...MOST ANYWAY - some other sections are from CL 2 etc as I wrote.
    He was playing several takes that were very close to each other, so they are going to sound alike, especially if you change the speed to make them "fit". We do not have the complete session. The only "sections" from CL2 "as you wrote" were "vox" You said the whole thing was CL1 apart from that and the guitar solo section.

Are these tracks CL1, 2 & 3 the two vocal takes, FTBFS (1) [double tracked vocals using it's original and the alternate vocal from (4) overdubbed on to it], (2) [louder vocal from (1) only, ie original] & (4) [different music & vocal take than (1) & (2)] and the one (7) that has the backing musicians replaced by AD and has two dubious solos and much other session guitar? Or is one of them (5) just guitars and bass?
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-10-13 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks

aiyiyi!!! Eddie! I was just scrutinizing the "new" Crash Landing to see if i could make myself an edit combining boot mixes that improves on EH's horrible butchery of this track (yes, I've now come around to that viewpoint). Listening close to the solo, particularly the ending of the solo i heard several distinctive phrases repeated a little too perfectly...looks like at very close to 02:47 Eddie goes back to the 02:38 mark and simply copies a few bars of Jimi's lead and then TACKS IT ON TO THE END OF THE SOLO. That is some heavy-handed sh*t right there. What balls do you have to have to think no one will notice something like that? Why not just end the solo a few bars earlier rather than making it longer by copying/pasting it onto itself? That's just waaaay too much for me. Not only that, but with all of his machinations his edits on the solo still sound crap such that when the lead ends and Jimi's voice comes back in it sounds like two trains crashing into each other. I'm only a wee amateur but on my grandma's grave I could've done a better job than that...

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skizzle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Are these tracks CL1, 2 & 3 the two vocal takes, FTBFS (1) [double tracked vocals using it's original and the alternate vocal from (4) overdubbed on to it], (2) [louder vocal from (1) only, ie original] & (4) [different music & vocal take than (1) & (2)] and the one (7) that has the backing musicians replaced by AD and stupidly using two Jimi solos double tracked? Or is one of them (5) just guitars and bass?
    CL1 is FTBFS (5) ie just rhythm guitar and session bass, sounds partly like session guitarist, with a bit of lead overdub by Jimi from a different session date. Sounds like AD in process of entirely reconstructing the backing track
    CL2 is (4) sounds like the original music, but amost all of the drums have turned down to inaudible.
    CL3 is (2) which is basically (1) (the original song and musicians, but with the vocal from (4) overdubbed as a double track) without the extra vocal from (4) and some session work done on it.

(1) is not on the Master Reels tape, it appears to have the original Rocky Issac drum track.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If I get the time this weekend, I will do a merge, with hard L/R between the Master Reels boot and EH composite...it's all getting a bit complicated...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Left Channel is PH&A version - I did a phase cancellation to bring out the guitar so you can hear more clearly...funny thing is - with phase cancellation you can see where the waveform/mix changes - i.e. where he has glued sections together...
    Right Channel - is from the boots...

http://www.putlocker.com/file/2AC83A091A2B5004

Crash Landing Master Reels

Crash Landing 1 = CL 1
    Crash Landing 2 = CL 2
    Crash Landing 3 = CL 3

This is rough for now - because I don't have the time to completely reconstruct...but you get the picture...
    I didn't even have to adjust the speeds...

Intro - Mainly same take as CL 3 - EK has flown in revised riff at 14 sec (made from same section in CL 1)- he has pretty much made his own composite of the main riff which he flies in at various stages...he does this at various times
    Verse 1 - is CL 1
    Around 1:06 - a section is flown in from elsewhere...
    Around 1:12 - pretty good artist section - from CL 2 - listen to guitars (little riffs) - exactly the same - the vox are out because Kramer has placed them manually, and as we have discussed his vocal timing is not the same as "original"
    Around 1:35 - for reasons known only to him he cuts the extra riff before the "spaced out" section...
    I could go on...
    But basically it is not a new take - it is a composite that can be made directly from what we have...
    As I said previously - things get messy around the guitar solo, because that has come from elsewhere...
    Basically solo aside - you can recreate what Kramer has done...

Of course, given that the source material is EXACTLY the same...but reconfigured - then you could argue that Douglas took the take that we have on PH&A and disassembled and spread across his own composites
    I doubt that - because tape editing is much more difficult that digital editing - and EK has surely taken from the vaults and rearranged into new backing master...
    There is a lot of messing about...that's why I just couldn't be bothered doing it all - also because he has glued the vocals into track slightly differently - makes things confusing.
    It is just the same deal as VON, Somewhere etc...

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm no Douglas defender - but here you go - I have created a Merge of AD's CL vs Crash Landing "Unreleased Version" boot - which says that the CL is "original mix" - OK, as I stated earlier the drums are in doubt - I believe Douglas' first thing to do in making CL at the time was to wipe the drums, and get the drummer to make new overdub - but the guitar and vox are Jimi - and I have merged the two so you can hear how Douglas did things...

HERE - http://www.putlocker.com/file/4F4593588293414F

Left Channel - Alan Douglas Crash Landing album version (I had to fold down each channel to mono so you can hear all instruments - otherwise the hard pan would remove half of channel)
    Crash Landing "Unreleased Version" "original mix" RIGHT CHANNEL (I had to adjust speed a bit to merge, because of tape timing drift) - of course it can be argued that this is a composite - yes, but it is JIMI not a session player - and this composite serves as the basis of CL album version. It is not all session players etc...yes, guitar solos are flown in from other take...yes we get our backing singers etc...but all the Douglas tracks use a bedrock of Jimi and Guitar - everything else is overdubbed...
    Douglas took a foundation of Jimi and Guitar and overdubbed everything else...he probably didn't mess with the takes as much as Eddie has! Of course he did add a bunch of shit on the top - but that is not the issue...
    The issue is that you are looking for a new take which doesn't exist! Both CLs are composites and both have the same basic Jimi ingredients...

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm no Douglas defender
    Started off sounding like that

I don't agree with what EH & Eddie have done either. Question is how much they have re-constructed/edited.

The issue is that you are looking for a new take which doesn't exist!
    Couldn't look too far, my sound editor is down, so I can't separate channels, can only listen as is. I'll have a listen to your work.

I have created a Merge of AD's CL vs Crash Landing "Unreleased Version" boot
    Crash Landing 1 = CL 1 = FTBFS (4)
    Crash Landing 2 = CL 2 = FTBFS (5)
    Crash Landing 3 = CL 3 = FTBFS (2)
    FTBS (1) - possibly original drums - has not been compared yet

Thanks for your hard work. Did you try listening to FTBFS (1)? It's mono, with what sounds like the original music including vocals & possibly drums [?] , but someone, likely Douglas [?] has overdubbed the other vocal from (4) as a double track. Question is, was some of this, and the other vocal take (4) that we have, partially Douglas constructions? Did Eddie unwittingly use a partial Douglas reconstruction for his re-construction ha-ha-ha

It is just the same deal as VON, Somewhere etc...
    So, you are saying that the backing tracks for Eddie's VON and Somewhere have been chopped and changed significantly and had a solo from elsewhere flown in?
    Last edited by stplsd; 03-09-13 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks

Both CLs are composites and both have the same basic Jimi ingredients...
    Having listened to your very short comparison (thank you), I have to admit it does sound like it is the same take of JH's basic guitar only was used by both (yes I know they've used the same vocal take as well), but there are little differences in places and why the great gaps in the AD you've used?
    If by "basic ingredients" you mean JH's vocal track - yes, and they may well share Jimi's basic guitar track, but that's it. I may go along with that, but I'll have to listen some more.

I listened to the FTBFS (1) regarding the drums and it sounds like they are the same as EK's (and different from those on the Reprise). Of course whether these are the original, or a first attempt by AD's session man is anyone's guess. Is the bass on (1)original?