Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ambassador Theatre - 12 August 1967 - Univibes research

Thanks

Re: Ambassador Theatre - 12 August 1967 - Univibes research

Dr. Virginia Vertiz seems like a credible witness. I'd say this is PROVED! Even though its difficult for me to discern exactly what's going on in that pic! I can't really make out the guitar parts. Maybe someone else here can. I can make out Jimi's arm, hand and a headstock, but the rest is confusing.
    Last edited by Roland Stone; 10-14-17 at 01:57 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Looks like the neck is in two pieces. All I can say is WOW!!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainflower For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Another one from Dr. Vertiz: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/5f...7b8e42f7b5.jpg I guess he had taken off the yellow jacket by the end of the set. This picture must be from earlier in the set. Can't find her other two pics online yet.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rainflower View Post
    Looks like the neck is in two pieces. All I can say is WOW!!!
    Or maybe Jimi is holding the headstock while the body of the guitar is flapping towards Jimi's shoulder still attached by flaming strings? While a piece of the neck has gone flying up into the air with a bit of flame on it?

Thanks

Is CTT still borked for registering new members? Dr. Virginia Vertiz the photographer would like to join but is having trouble.

Anyway, the new photograph looks legit to me, but is also confusing. I wish someone with better knowledge of guitar parts would chime in. Is that squarish white thing the tremelo bridge with springs? What is that red thing near Jimi's elbow? An arm scarf? Is the white guitar visible at all?

Thanks

Jimi's jaywalking detention in D.C. https://vimeo.com/229429494

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Looks fake to me. Looks like Jimi has 2 arms. The body could be split. The white piece could be the pickguard, or a blurry view of the white-tipped tremolo bar.
    The small lick of flame on the other side of the guitar seems weird. The flames look fake. IMO, anyway. What is the white thing that looks like a 2nd arm?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,004 Posts

Ambassador Theatre, Washington, D.C. 1967/08/13. Photo by Nils Lofgren.

From Nils Lofgren:
    "The room was humming, not only with the expectation of seeing the Jimi Hendrix Experience, but that Pete Townshend was in the audience, and it was just an extraordinary pivotal night for me. Hendrix came out and said he was going to dedicate the first song to Pete Townshend and he was going to do a rendition of 'Sgt. Pepper.' Now being naive, and being a huge Beatles lover, a lot of us thought 'well, you're only a three piece band, how can you play 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,' there's all these other guitars and strings.' We just didn't have a clue of what Hendrix was really about. He counted off the song and I remember he kind of disappeared, he just did one of those things where he fell to the floor, sitting on the floor rocking with the guitar between his legs kind of doing a 'Purple Haze/ Sgt. Peppers' riff, then he sort of bounces back up and does an insane version of 'Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.' And when he dropped to the floor everyone just jumped up to try to see him, and from that moment on everyone was standing and mesmerized by obviously the greatest rock and roll guitar player that ever lived... There were just a lot of inspired moments like that at the Ambassador; it was this dark, beautiful, haunted, inspired room that you could go to and get lost in the light show and friends and the camradarie and the excitement of being in the audience discovering all this great new music; it was this real pivotal place in Washington, DC for all of the music scene, young and old."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,107 Times in 359 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlygtr56 View Post
    What is the white thing that looks like a 2nd arm?
    The backside of the (red on the other side) guitar strap. Same strap as at Monterey. Same Black guitar too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to johanincr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ambassador Theatre, Washington, DC August 1967

Mitch At Showboat Lounge Across The Street From Ambassador Theatre

Link - https://www.facebook.com/pg/ShepTull...=page_internal
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:45 PM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Stone View Post
    Another one from Dr. Vertiz: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/5f...7b8e42f7b5.jpg I guess he had taken off the yellow jacket by the end of the set. This picture must be from earlier in the set. Can't find her other two pics online yet.
    I'd say it was from the first show (or even a different night?) as the shirt is different, it looks like the same shirt as the backstage close up? Looks like he's got flowers (as well as a fag butt) in the machine head too, as in Italy (not saying it is not from Ambassador.).
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks

Ambassador Theatre, Washington, D.C. 1967 Press Release

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just amazing, love this, thanks Dr. V. Vertiz for sharing and Johan for posting
    Last edited by stplsd; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:43 AM.
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johanincr View Post
    The backside of the (red on the other side) guitar strap. Same strap as at Monterey. Same Black guitar too.
    Black guitar? All the other photos from the Ambassador so far show a white guitar. Although I suppose its possible he pulled out a different guitar to "sacrifice". Also over on Facebook Dr. Vertiz says someone told her Jimi had already broken the guitar into three pieces before throwing it up into the air. It's possible that most of the guitar is still lying on the ground out of frame. I really doubt the photo is "faked". If someone wanted to fake it, they'd probably do a better job. But it is puzzling. On closer inspection I see that a black patch cord is visible running in front of the flames up to the upper part of whatever that is and also running down and over the top of Jimi's sleeve. I think that lick of flame at the top is the patch cord burning. It's clear that Jimi is smashing up a guitar. If someone wanted to fake the flames, I think they would have done a better job of it.

Thanks

Black guitar? All the other photos from the Ambassador so far show a white guitar.
    No. See post #48 above (I think there may be 2 or 3? others - by nowI can't access my photos at the mo), which I take to be from the 2nd show (ie he's taken off his yellow jacket (1st show) and tie-dye 'splotch' shirt* and changed into the satin dragons' shirt (worn as a jacket) over the 'gypsy' waistcoat (no shirt) but still with the yellow velvet suit trousers), that has him playing the white Strat with the pink flowers in the machine head, although not much left of them, the painted Flying V is standing propped against a speaker and the black Strat with red 'cowboy' strap (from Monterey) is lying on the stage behind him intact, I take it prior to the grand finale.

* this is the same 'splotch' shirt he is wearing in the backstage photo by Virtiz which I presume was taken between the two shows. I take it he was wearing the 'gypsy' waistcoat (unseen, covered) over this 'splotch' shirt under the yellow velvet suit jacket as well.,

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    No. See post #48 above (I think there may be 2 or 3? others - by nowI can't access my photos at the mo), which I take to be from the 2nd show (ie he's taken off his yellow jacket (1st show) and tie-dye 'splotch' shirt* and changed into the satin dragons' shirt (worn as a jacket) over the 'gypsy' waistcoat (no shirt) but still with the yellow velvet suit trousers), that has him playing the white Strat with the pink flowers in the machine head, although not much left of them, the painted Flying V is standing propped against a speaker and the black Strat with red 'cowboy' strap (from Monterey) is lying on the stage behind him intact, I take it prior to the grand finale.

* this is the same 'splotch' shirt he is wearing in the backstage photo by Virtiz which I presume was taken between the two shows. I take it he was wearing the 'gypsy' waistcoat (unseen, covered) over this 'splotch' shirt under the yellow velvet suit jacket as well.,
    Thanks! Yes I see the black strat on the ground with the red (or leather brown?) strap. So you think that's the one that was smashed/set on fire because of the strap? Can you identify anything else in the burning photo?

Thanks

Ambassador Theatre: Washington, D.C. August 1967

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks! Yes I see the black strat on the ground with the red (or leather brown?) strap. So you think that's the one that was smashed/set on fire because of the strap?
    And that it is black and that he doesn't have a black strat on stage after that for a while? (If I remember correctly? - I don't have access to my photos at the mo - tomorrow I will.

Thanks

I can't see the black guitar in the flaming photo. Where do you see it?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,107 Times in 359 Posts

I can't see the black guitar in the flaming photo. Where do you see it?
    Black guitar against black background, not very visible but its there.
    You see the same guitar on the ground with the same strap.

If you dont see it, what do you suppose you're looking at, looking at that photo????
    Attached Images Attached Images