Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ronnie Wood reminisces about Jimi Hendrix

Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 Times in 599 Posts

Re: Ronnie Wood reminisces about Jimi Hendrix

Thanks PJ. Not surprised that it was Ronnie's recollections that were off. Kathy always seemed quite sharp.
    Keith Richards on Woody's book:

Uncut: "(It's) about 50 per cent off. I read some of the serialization (of Wood's book) in the papers last year. It stands up, but not very well, against Bill Wyman's book. I don't want to listen to that c**p. Ronnie is a big mouth. I love him dearly, but he's a flip-flap. I mean, I can never remember Ronnie pulling a gun on me."

"Some of these stories were so out of the picture that I just gave up and laughed."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 834 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    ... Keith Richards on Woody's book: ...
    Richard's memory is a proper gauge for Wood's memory? (heh-heh ...)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
    Richard's memory is a proper gauge for Wood's memory? (heh-heh ...)
    Dunno, but I think so. Keith seems to have an OK memory despite past habits. It's not the drugs, it's the person.

Thanks

Ronnie Wood is the first cousin of my late father in law Tom Clark.When Tom read Ronnie's recent autobiography he was angered by the many mistakes/untruths contained in it..either Ronnie has a selective memory or likes to 'enhance' parts of his life story it would seem...

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aidan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,739 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    Ronnie Wood is the first cousin of my late father in law Tom Clark.When Tom read Ronnie's recent autobiography he was angered by the many mistakes/untruths contained in it..either Ronnie has a selective memory or likes to 'enhance' parts of his life story it would seem...

Tom wants to calm down, it's just another "Pop book", it's not like serious history, just a bit of fun to make money - apparently
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 574 Posts

Just gimme some truth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Tom wants to calm down, it's just another "Pop book", it's not like serious history, just a bit of fun to make money - apparently
    Tom is calm enough now [as he passed away 6 weeks ago today].Thanks for your useful input.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    Tom is calm enough now [as he passed away 6 weeks ago today].Thanks for your useful input.
    Sorry to hear about your loss Aidan. My condolences go out to you and your family.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to danksquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,290 Times in 2,739 Posts

Dunno, but I think so. Keith seems to have an OK memory despite past habits. It's not the drugs, it's the person.
    Dream on, you obviously didn't read the pre-press to his proposed book. I seem to recollect Ron's was pretty similar regarding what he thought he could "remember"
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stplsd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stplsd View Post
    Dream on, you obviously didn't read the pre-press to his proposed book. I seem to recollect Ron's was pretty similar regarding what he thought he could "remember"
    He he. Maybe not; I did read Keith's book. He was pretty specific on certain details...blow jobs and drugs (music making not so much).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,017 Posts

He he. Maybe not; I did read Keith's book. He was pretty specific on certain details...blow jobs and drugs (music making not so much).
    it's easy to remember the drugs one has taken though out our life time and the blow jobs. Important details never fade .............
    "That's the best news I ever heard" Bob Dylan

Thanks
    Thanked 9,381 Times in 2,343 Posts

I read Keith's book, and was it more about his lifestyle and personal relationships with other people than about the music, the band and its members. It was written 30 years too late. He couldn't remember much that was significant about the seminal early part of his career in the 60's and 70's.

Probably the same problem with Ronnie's book. It's 30 years too late, and the early memories are long gone.

One story from Keith's book is about how Mick's ego had gotten out of control in the 80's and he started to think HE was the Rolling Stones.

As Keith tells it, Charlie was late for a recording session and Mick became annoyed and called him. When Charlie answered the phone, Mick, with irritation in his voice snapped: "where's my drummer?". Charlie hung up.

When Charlie finally arrived he went straight for Mick, grabbed him by the collar with both hands and threw him to the floor. Then looked him in the eye and said: "don't you EVER refer to me as "your drummer"!
    Last edited by RobbieRadio; 06-17-13 at 04:37 PM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RobbieRadio For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Bear View Post
    Heíd just sit back and play right-handed or left-handed guitar Ė that ambidextrousness blew my mind. If I try to play left-handed itís like giving a child a guitar

someone please tell me, could he really play right-handed as well as left-handed, or almost as well?

I always believed these claims were maybe a bit exaggerated is this really true?

Thanks

I think most of stories are about Jimi playing a guitar strung for a right handed player by flipping it and playing it left handed with the strings upside down. Not playing it right handed. If you watch the film of Hendrix backstage with the Rolling Stones playing with Mick Taylor, he is playing a guitar lefthanded with the strings upside down.

It can be done. Two left handed guitarists come to mind who do it. Albert King and Doyle Bramhall III both play guitar with the strings stung upside down.

Attachment 20581Attachment 20582Attachment 20583

Thanks

but why would he do that at home, like ronnie wood said in this interview?
    his guitars at home should have been righty strats, that were strung for a left handed player, so if he flipped them, he'd have to play with his left hand on the fretboard, after flipping it

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRadio View Post
    I think most of stories are about Jimi playing a guitar strung for a right handed player by flipping it and playing it left handed with the strings upside down. Not playing it right handed. If you watch the film of Hendrix backstage with the Rolling Stones playing with Mick Taylor, he is playing a guitar lefthanded with the strings upside down.

It can be done. Two left handed guitarists come to mind who do it. Albert King and Doyle Bramhall III both play guitar with the strings stung upside down.

Attachment 20581Attachment 20582Attachment 20583

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ben4363 View Post
    but why would he do that at home, like ronnie wood said in this interview?
    his guitars at home should have been righty strats, that were strung for a left handed player, so if he flipped them, he'd have to play with his left hand on the fretboard, after flipping it
    Because he played Ronnie's or someone else's guitar? That's obviously the only reason - to be able to pick up anyone's guitar anywhere and play it.

Thanks

Because he played Ronnie's or someone else's guitar? That's obviously the only reason - to be able to pick up anyone's guitar anywhere and play it.
    he said "that ambidextrousness blew my mind. If I try to play left-handed itís like giving a child a guitar"

that is not the same thing as playing with upside down strings, its still impressive, but playing the guitar with his right hand fretting as well as with his left hand sounds unbelievable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ben4363 View Post
    he said "that ambidextrousness blew my mind. If I try to play left-handed itís like giving a child a guitar"

that is not the same thing as playing with upside down strings, its still impressive, but playing the guitar with his right hand fretting as well as with his left hand sounds unbelievable
    Aha, gotcha. Well, he was Jimi.

Thanks

Aha, gotcha. Well, he was Jimi.

indeed he was, but that's just incredible,

can anyone confirm this or know more about this?

Thanks

Ben4363 he said "that ambidextrousness blew my mind. If I try to play left-handed itís like giving a child a guitar"

Wood did not not say that.
    Watch the video again. He said:

"he'd swap guitar from left to right handed and he could play equally well, both ways"

"and that was kind of annoying to see but it was mindblowing as well at the same time"

I think people here a jumping to conclusions. I believe Wood is speaking in "guitarist" short hand, not being specific because he assumes those he is speaking to will know what he means.

When he said "left to right handed " he leaves out the word "strung". So if you add that word to what he says it makes more sense.

"he'd swap guitar from left "strung" to right handed "strung" and he could play equally well, both ways (lefthanded)"

If Jimi could play a right handed strung guitar, right handed, then why did he play the right handed strung guitar flipped over and left handed with the strings upside down when he was playing with Mick Taylor?

Last edited by RobbieRadio; 06-17-13 at 06:09 PM.