Thread: Wodstock 1969 Blu-Ray - fullscreen?

Thanks

Wodstock 1969 Blu-Ray - fullscreen?

Hello everybody.

I have one copy of Hendrix BOG performance on Woodstock 1969 on Blu-Ray, my TV is a 32" HD-Ready LG. Is any chance to see this performance in fullscreen? Now, I can only watch this in 4:3 with black stripes on both sides. For example, in "Voodo Child" movie, there was some fragments, also Woodstock '69 on fullscreen...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,463 Times in 733 Posts

Re: Wodstock 1969 Blu-Ray - fullscreen?

Quote Originally Posted by patrykut View Post
    Hello everybody.

I have one copy of Hendrix BOG performance on Woodstock 1969 on Blu-Ray, my TV is a 32" HD-Ready LG. Is any chance to see this performance in fullscreen? Now, I can only watch this in 4:3 with black stripes on both sides........
    Sure...if you are talking about BR player to TV...then your TV remote should have a 'pic/wide/etc' button...you should be able to 'stretch' the image to full screen and /or zoom it to full screen...
    strecthing will show the complete image but it will be ratio distorted....zoom will be in ratio but will be missing some from the top and bottom....your BD player remote should have a similar input button..
    The Woodstock BD is in full wide-screen(you notice the menu/title /etc are)...however the actual film was not
    shot' that way...but it can be adjusted.
    If it's PC to TV/monitor then there are different options due to the BD player software...I've been messing around with this lately...mainly to see the real-time processing of the Hendrix 2D to 3D....it seems that Arcsoft Total Media Theater 3/4/5(I don't care for 6 and it has Cinavia encoded in it anyway...so avoid that one) is the only program that can handle the 'mouse-support' for the Hendrix BD....Hendrix BD's Woodstock/Monterey need to be controled thru a simulated remote(created by the software program) Berkeley and Voodoo Child do not have this problem tho'....
    NOTE: the 2D to 3D sim will not convert BD format but does everything else....
    now I don't have(or have any interest in a actual 3D TV) but there is setting that will convert 2D to 3D for regular HD -TV.
    There are a few more 3D variation options if you have a actual 3D TV...but no Hendrix footage was ever shot in 3D...so the best we can get is the sim3d....it works, but better video has better results...I see it as a 'novelty'...some is quite 'strange' due to the fact that alot of 60's stuff was made to look 'psychedelic' in the 1st place.
    it also has a 'simHD' that 'up-converts' video in real time....these results can vary, but the Muai DVD(found here does look quite noticeably better in 'simHD'

For example, in "Voodo Child" movie, there was some fragments, also Woodstock '69 on fullscreen...
    Yep...that's because it was cropped and zoomed to make it that way...you still are missing some of the image.

PS: some of the TV sets have 'up-converting and 2D to 3d processing' features built in them....but my only experience is from using PC to TV/monitor, so I'm more into the software program area.
    but YES ....you can or should be able to make the video 'fill' your screen one thru your remotes.....or PC.
    you didn't really say what your player was.
    J.L.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for this reply. I don't have stationary BD player, I have copies of my BD's on my portable HDD, including Woodstock '69. I installed "ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5" on my PC now, but I can't find any video options for make a fullscren from my copy (maybe this is important or not, but I converted file to .mkv). Can you give me any instruction to switch fullscreen by this program? 2D/3D settings are blocked.

Thanks

Thanks for this reply. I don't have stationary BD player, I have copies of my BD's on my portable HDD, including Woodstock '69.
    Same here(extHD->PC->TMT5(v5.0.1.114))...Ok...we are on the same page

I installed "ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5" on my PC now, but I can't find any video options for make a fullscren from my copy (maybe this is important or not, but I converted file to .mkv). Can you give me any instruction to switch fullscreen by this program? ....
    If you have the full BD dvd on your HD, just run that...that was the main reason for PowerDVD & Total Media programs...to be able to play a BD disc....just about all players(most use VLC) will play a BDrip...which is what a .MKV file would be....
    you'll miss out on the PIP feature just playing the video...

(actually if you just want to play a .MKV file in full/stretch screen you can use VLC player...under VIDEO you will find aspect ratio/zoom/fit to window/etc)
    all OS ...VLC player (free)
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download
    ------
    OK...back to TMT5.......
    I loaded MKV movie file....after it starts playing...I 'left double click w/mouse' on the TMT screen...
    this opens it as large as it will normally go...

then I 'right click w/mouse'...this will open a drop down menu...this is where sub-titles aspect ration.etc are located.
    (Woodstock does have subs as well as Isle of Wight RE-release BD)
    go down to ASPECT RATIO(NOTE: the video must be playing for this option to be available)
    in ASPECT RATIO sub-menu(to the right) it will have:

Keep Aspect ratio
    Stretch(Smart Stretch)
    Stretch(Fill the Screen)

it should already be checked on KEEP ASPECT RATIO size,
    go down down to SMART STRETCH and check that one,
    or the FILL the SCREEN one(I didn't see any difference between the last two)

also after you have it set up...and playing...you can rotate the mouse button up to zoom

2D/3D settings are blocked.
    Shouldn't be....unless your PC can not process it fast enough or the 3D plugin is not installed..
    NOTE: 3D needs to be set BEFORE playing a video file...it won't be available if playing or even if video is paused.
    I don't have a 3D TV myself, but the 3D cynan/red will work fine.
    sim3D info.
    http://www.arcsoft.com/topics/media-...dvd-in-3d.html
    simHD info.
    http://www.arcsoft.com/topics/media-...-is-simhd.html

NOTE: the effects are not quite as dramatic as the above 'ads' claim(well...to me they aren't) but there is a difference.
    difference will vary also due to original quality of video.
    it's just something to play around with...I did notice 'dramatic lighting' did bring out a lot of subtle/hidden things in the dark in the Altanta footage while keeping the dark 'blacks' black.....the Maui footage looked sharper,etc.
    ----
    TMT will NOT convert a 2D BD disc to 3D
    but it does play actual 3D BD.

TMT will NOT 'upconvert' any BD or HIres video to simHD, because they already are High Def,

sinHD and sim3D can NOT be run at the same time(well on my set up it doesn't)

If you want to try Woodstock 3D..then run it as a MKV file, but remember to have the 3D set up prior to running, I just checked it and it works.As I said I do not have a 3D TV/monitor so I can't say how any other 3D settings would look,.
    to get the #D thing running...
    open TMT5
    up at the top you see simHD and sim3D..click on the down arrow to open 3D menu
    check off - always play video in 3D
    check off - 2D(should be the top option)

now click on 3D environment
    go to bottom option
    check off - other display (if you don not have a 3D ready monitor/TV or if your LCD does not support any other option)

now open the video file and play.....it will be in (basic)sim3D

there are 3D software programs but they are made to load and then convert a file to 3D, which of course can take hours to convert and then if you need to readjust, you have to convert all over again......TMT3/TMT4/TMT5 will do it right as it plays.
    avoid TMT6, many bugs and has Cinavia in it....which means if you/we play a non-official DVD or video file it will shut down.
    In other words...it will probably pick up a DVDrip or whatever(happened to me, so I know)
    ----
    Hope this helped a bit.
    J.L.
    PS: Great Hendrix video...Woodstock...tho' I did read on-line that some people had problems running the PIP feature.
    they were seeing just a still b/w image instead of the b/w video running along with the primary video.
    oh also...I did notice that the secondary video(PIP) does not increase in size or stretch along with the primary video
    Last edited by J.Lucas; 07-01-13 at 05:32 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Lucas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you very very much for this replies, it's really help me and now I can watching every Hendrix's BD concerts fullscreen... Excellent!

Thanks

Thank you very very much for this replies, it's really help me and now I can watching every Hendrix's BD concerts fullscreen... Excellent!
    No trouble....this web site has helped me out in more ways than I could count...
    I'm always looking for anything to 'enhance' or upgrade Hendrix video and audio...
    some of the audio merges here on CTT are fantastic upgrades from the versions we were used to for years.
    If your into Hendrix...this is one of the best sites to stop and spend some time at....a lot of great stuff here.
    J.L.
    anyone else interested in experimenting(note location)
    Attachment 20823

Thanks

For us luddites, what is the actual original aspect ratio of the film on the blu-ray disc? 4.3?

I understand that I can change it to fit my tv, but I would like to watch it as-is, with no stretching.

thank you very much,

Mike