Thread: Live with John Mayall´s Bluesbreakers(?)

Thanks

Live with John Mayall´s Bluesbreakers(?)

This is from Felix Aeppli´s great Rolling Stones site (Mick Taylor section): http://aeppli.ch/TUG08/CDTaylorUp.pdf

October 17, 1967  Live at Klooks Kleek, Hampstead, London: JOHN MAYALL’S BLUESBREAKERS
    (READING, BT CD): 1. Blues In Bb (Mayall)
    Line-up: Same as next (with Paul Williams on bass); — NOTES: Cut 1: Including Jimi Hendrix'
    contribution towards the end of the song apparently played on the guitar handed over to him by
    Mick Taylor.

October 19, 1967  Live at the Club A Go Go, Newcastle-upon-Tyne [cut 1]; - November 2, 1967 
    Live at the Speakeasy, London [cuts 6, 12]; - November 5, 1967  Live at Schiedam, Netherlands
    [cuts 2, 3]; - November 13, 1967  Live at the Club Rado, Belfast, Northern Ireland [cut 4]; - November
    14, 1967  Live at Port Stewart, Northern Ireland [cut 7]; - November 26, 1967  Live at the
    Beachcomber Club, Nottingham [cut 11]; - November 28, 1967  Live at the Top Rank Ballroom,
    Southampton [cuts 8, 9]; - December 7, 1967; Live at Essex University, Colchester [cut 13]; -
    December 12, 1967  Live at Kings College, London [cut 5]; - December 19, 1967  Live at Wood
    Green, London [cut 10]  JOHN MAYALL, THE DIARY OF A BAND, VOLUME ONE (Decca SKL
    4918 [UK], Feb. 23, 1968); THE DIARY OF A BAND (London PS 570 [US], March, 1970); THE
    DIARY OF A BAND, VOLUME ONE (Deram 844029-2, CD [UK and US], May 30, 1994): 1. Blood
    On The Night (Mayall), 2. I Can’t Quit You Baby (Dixon), 3. Anzio Annie (Taylor), 4. Snowy Wood
    (Mayall, Taylor), 5. The Lesson (Taylor), 6. My Own Fault (Mayall), 7. God Save The Queen (Bull); —
    JOHN MAYALL, THE DIARY OF A BAND, VOLUME TWO (Decca SKL 4919 [UK], Feb. 23, 1968);
    LIVE IN EUROPE, London PS 589 [US], June, 1971; THE DIARY OF A BAND, VOLUME TWO
    (Deram 844030-2, CD [UK and US], May 30, 1994): 8. Gimme Some Loving (Intro) (Winwood,
    Winwood, Spencer), 9. The Train, 10. Crying Shame (both Mayall), 11. Help Me (Williamson, Bass,
    Dixon), 12. Blues In Bb (Mayall), 13. Soul Of A Short, Fat Man (Mayall, Hartley)
    MT: guitar, John Mayall: vocals (all except 12, 13), organ, guitar, harmonica; Paul Williams (1, 2),
    Keith Tillman (3-12): bass; Keef Hartley: drums; Dick Heckstall-Smith, Chris Mercer: saxophone;
    — NOTES: Cuts 1-12: Many incomplete, hence cut 12 leaving off Jimi Hendrix' contribution.

Are there any more information on this anywhere??
    Has someone heard this "Reading" Mayall bootleg?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 540 Posts

Re: Live with John Mayall´s Bluesbreakers(?)

I got this track in a trade a number of years ago (without any details really) and sent it to mr HP (of In From the storm website fame). It was first circulatated in the torrent below. The verdict was unsure whether it is Jimi. Maybe it's still on the CT tracker.

JIMI HENDRIX: LA FORUM, LOS ANGELES, CA 1970-04-25 - 3RD SOURCE

DISC 1
    01 Intro - 1:25
    02 Spanish Castle Magic - 5:05
    03 Foxy Lady - 4:19
    04 Lover Man - 3:13
    05 Hear My Train A-Comin’ - 12:12
    06 Message To Love - 4:51
    07 Ezy Rider - 4:59
    08 Machine Gun - 10:36

DISC 2
    01 Room Full Of Mirrors - 4:04
    02 Hey Baby / Villanova Junction / Drums - 11:43
    03 Freedom - 5:14
    04 Star Spangled Banner - 3:27
    05 Purple Haze - 3:49
    06 Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - 11:12
    07 Outro - 1:53

Live at the Los Angeles Forum, Los Angeles, CA 25.april 1970
    Audience recording - 3rd Source
    Analog Master > CDR(x) > Toast Titanum 8.0.1 to extract wav > wav > xAct 1.5b3 to convert to flac > flac

Bonus track:

08 Blues in Bb - 19:07

Live at Speakeasy, London 2.november 1967
    John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers with Jimi Hendrix on guitar
    (Full version of track from “Diary of a Band Vol.2”)
    Analog Master > Analog copy? > CDR(x) > Toast Titanum 8.0.1 to extract wav > wav > xAct 1.5b3 to convert to flac > flac

http://www.johnmayall.com/fanmail_4.html:

“... On the album 'Diary of a Band' Jimi takes over Mick's guitar towards the end of the track 'Blues in Bb' and unfortunately I didn't have room to put the whole slow blues on the album and in any case Jimi's management dissuaded me from using his name. A shame......” (John Mayall 2004)

In regard to the Mayall track it should also be pointed out that there's more than a little controversy regarding whether or not Hendrix really plays on this track. Many people think he doesn't, and although Hendrix sat in with The Bluesbreakers at Speakeasy, London 02.11.67, Mayall himself has over the years given conflicting info as to Hendrix' specific involvement, such as in an interview with Record Collector, where he said Hendrix played on the track "The Lesson". The track is included here simply as a bonus, and you can make up your own mind as to what you want to believe.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,613 Times in 561 Posts

Caesar Glegeek informed me that the sequence on the album (all 1m 32s of it) does not feature Jimi. That would mean that John got his (bare) wires crossed somewhere. To make matters worse, Caesar said that the original tape went up in flames in a fire at Mayall's LA home ! What a shame.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to purple jim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purple jim View Post
    Caesar Glegeek informed me that the sequence on the album (all 1m 32s of it) does not feature Jimi. That would mean that John got his (bare) wires crossed somewhere. To make matters worse, Caesar said that the original tape went up in flames in a fire at Mayall's LA home ! What a shame.
    Yeah, Mayall's tape collection burned up in the 70's. But note the phrase "original tape" here; Mayall apparently still has some 60's recordings in his collection. He included 6 previously unsurfaced tracks with Clapton, Green and Taylor on a box set a few years ago.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not worth starting another thread for, but while we're on the subject of still unheard tapes, somehow I doubt we'll ever hear the Taj Mahal "cricket" jam. Frustrating because it was known to exist, and the last I heard EH was supposed to have it. Supposedly Taj and Jimi didn't mesh that well, but I'd still like to hear it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Yeah, Mayall's tape collection burned up in the 70's. But note the phrase "original tape" here; Mayall apparently still has some 60's recordings in his collection. He included 6 previously unsurfaced tracks with Clapton, Green and Taylor on a box set a few years ago.
    What is the name of the box set ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ranasakawa View Post
    What is the name of the box set ?
    See here:
    http://www.johnmayall.com/track_listing.html

It's 4 less than essential though enjoyable late-period albums along with the live rarities.

Thanks

Hendrix and John Mayall

Hi I was lucky enough to chat with Mick Ralphs[Bad Company/Mott The Hoople]on Saturday night .He mentioned seeing Hendrix jam with John Mayalls Bluesbreakers,using Mick Taylors guitar[upside down!] and was amazed how he still managed to play so well.He said it was in London,probably 1967.Anybody got confirmation of date and venue?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 234 Posts

Re: Hendrix and John Mayall

January 9, 1968 Klook's Kleek R & B Club, Railway Hotel, West Hampstead, London, England (Jimi Hendrix jams with Al Sykes and John Mayall)

http://www.chromeoxide.com/mayall.htm

I've found this info on the same site. Is this confirmed or only speculation?

Diary Of A Band - Volume 1 & 2 - LPs (released February 1968)
    (Jimi Hendrix-uncredited, played on one of these tracks instead of Mick Taylor)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to okla70homa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 234 Posts

Re: Hendrix and John Mayall

15. The Following User Says Thank You to okla70homa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I still haven't been able to find "Blues in Bb" anywhere online so I can give it a listen and decide for myself whether Jimi is on it.

Thanks

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOMC For This Useful Post: