Thread: BREAKING NEWS! JIMI BURNS HIS GUITAR AGAIN!

Thanks

BREAKING NEWS! JIMI BURNS HIS GUITAR AGAIN!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enemal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 354 Posts

Re: BREAKING NEWS! JIMI BURNS HIS GUITAR AGAIN!

From the above link:

When Jimi Hendrix came to Washington and blew its mind

“I just laid down a good, strong rhythm, and that worked.”
    Steve Barker, who was 18 and helped out in the theater, saw all of Hendrix’s shows but remembers this one in particular. Hendrix played some blues.
    “I have always felt privileged to have been there that time,” he says. “There were little children but also elderly people. Everybody seemed into it. He wasn’t doing the rock star Hendrix theatrics. It was really special.”
    “Jazz, Hippies Happen Together,” The Washington Post reported the next day. The story estimated that 500 children as young as 5 heard the music and danced and skipped under the lights. Spencer Davis, 16 — no relation to the band the Spencer Davis Group — told the paper: “I think it’s dynamite. They ought to give the hippies more of a chance to do this sort of thing. They’re all right.”
    Members of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, from left, Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding and Hendrix, sit on a couch during their gig at the Ambassador. (Shep Tullier/SHEP TULLIER)
    Between sets of the night shows, Hendrix and his band mingled with the audience like slightly cooler older brothers, or went across the street with new Washington friends for a beer at the Showboat Lounge. Redding and Mitchell were gregarious and outgoing, while Hendrix — in contrast to his stage persona — was quiet and diffident.

One time Hendrix took a seat in the Ambassador’s snack area near Debbie Clark and Jeanne Keskinen, two 15-year-olds from Prince George’s County.
    “He seemed like a nice guy,” Keskinen says. “All his feathers and looks were a lot to take in at that time.”
    But Charles Smith, co-founder of the Natty Bumpo, was unsettled by his brush with a talent about to go supernova.
    “I remember walking into the lobby, and there he was standing like he was in outer space,” Smith says. “He was just staring. He never saw me. I knew he was really stoned. I thought, ‘Boy, that doesn’t look good.’ ”
    The band stayed at the Shoreham Hotel (now the Omni Shoreham) on Calvert Street NW. Redding and Mitchell sometimes hung out at the pool, while Hendrix stayed in his room. He wrote a draft of “Bold as Love” on Shoreham stationery, with cross-outs and additions. The song would appear soon on the band’s second album, “Axis: Bold as Love.”
    My yellow in this case is not
    so mellow
    In fact I’m trying to say
    it’s frightened, like me
    Friday

Tickets rose to $2.50 for the weekend.
    The relative few who attended “were seeing history in the making,” says Washington music historian Mark Opsasnick, author of “Capitol Rock,” who is documenting a century of local pop music performances. He ranks the Ambassador gigs among the three most influential D.C. debuts ever — with Bill Haley and His Comets at the Blue Mirror on 14th Street NW in June 1953 and the Beatles at the Washington Coliseum in February 1964. “It changed the course of music in the city.”
    The set list from night to night was a roster of soon-to-be greatest hits and FM radio staples: “Purple Haze,” “Foxey Lady,” “Hey Joe,” “The Wind Cries Mary,” “Red House,” “Like a Rolling Stone” by Bob Dylan and “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” by the Beatles.
    “This is truly the ground floor of his taking root in the United States, a fabulous time to see the band,” says Hendrix biographer John McDermott.
    “The average young person might have heard of Jimi Hendrix if they read an underground newspaper, but there was literally nothing going on in terms of buzz. This guy laid it all on the line, desperately determined to make it in the U.S.”
    Saturday
    The party in a Georgetown rowhouse happened after the Saturday show, as near as some folks can remember.
    “It was just so low-key,” Mike Paper, who helped out at the theater, says of the party. “People were smoking dope, drinking beer and wine. I remember distinctly Jimi sitting on the couch strumming an acoustic guitar. It was just different times back in those days. Nobody said, ‘Oh, my God, we’re hanging out with Jimi Hendrix.’ We knew it was special, but at the same time, we were 18-year-old kids.”
    Another night, folks converged on Bumpo drummer Havu’s place in the 1800 block of Corcoran Street NW.
    “We had promised dinner; we were also broke,” Havu says, so they “liberated” a big pot of spicy rice that their Korean neighbors had stowed in the common refrigerator.
    Hendrix sat on the floor in a corner and “ate this really hot, bad rice we cooked up. ... He was just sort of watching the scene. He had recently come over from England, and I think he was trying to absorb what was going on with the hippie movement, quote-unquote.”
    Phil Wood was 16 years old when he collected a string from the guitar that Jimi Hendrix burned on Aug. 13, 1967, the last of a five-night gig at the Ambassador. (Toni L. Sandys/THE WASHINGTON POST)
    Hendrix explored Georgetown, and while there drew police attention. Michael Casady, younger brother of Jack Casady of the Jefferson Airplane, ran into Hendrix on the street. They were crossing against a red light when, “next thing I know, cops pull up to us,” Casady says. The pair was taken to a precinct station for jaywalking. Casady, who was still in high school, had to call his mother to come get him; Hendrix called a band associate.

“If you had the long hair, the cops didn’t like you, but Hendrix was beyond that,” Casady says. “His hair wasn’t even that long, but his clothing was so far out. He was dressed to the hilt, with the scarves and the whole bit, you know, and they kind of didn’t know what to think of that.”
    SUNDAY
    As word spread of Hendrix’s stage magic, attendance grew night by night, until about 800 showed up for the Sunday finale, says Mike Schreibman, who handled publicity for the Ambassador. Even so, the theater was still half-empty. The Who was opening for Herman’s Hermits at DAR Constitution Hall that night. Some fans planned to catch the Who, skip the Hermits and make it to the Ambassador for Hendrix’s second set.
    Before the gig, Shep Tullier, then 19, met the band at the Shoreham. Tullier, who now plays in Blue Suede Bop and solo projects, brought a stack of British music journals he subscribed to, which the musicians were eager to peruse after two months in the United States.
    “We had never seen anyone have sex with a Stratocaster, and that’s essentially what he was doing.” Phil Wood
    Walking into their rooms, Tullier heard a voice on Hendrix’s portable record player. He assumed it was some avant-garde spoken-word piece until Hendrix told him it was “Winnie-the-Pooh.”
    The band caught a cab to the theater. In the dressing room, Hendrix called Schreibman over. “He whispered, ‘Can you get me some lighter fluid?’ ” recalls Schreibman, who became a founding member of the Washington Area Music Association.
    “I said in a real loud voice, ‘Oh, are you going to set your guitar on fire?’ He was really upset that I had broken the secret.”
    Hendrix had pulled the pyro stunt only twice before, in London in March, then at Monterey in June, according to Hendrix chronologists. Before the Monterey film popularized the evidence, it would still be a surprise to most fans.
    Schreibman crossed the street and bought the fluid at Peoples Drug.

After seeing the Who’s Pete Townshend smash, but not burn, his guitar at Constitution Hall, 16-year-old guitar player Phil Wood and a buddy hurried to the Ambassador. Wood had seen Hendrix’s Thursday show, so he knew to sit on the floor just in front of stage-right, where Hendrix would stand.
    He felt someone take a seat to his left, so close in the crowd that their legs touched. It was Townshend. Standing against the wall was the Who’s bass player, John Entwistle.
    “Hendrix walks out with his Stratocaster,” Wood recalls. “He looks at Townshend. He plugs in his Strat, and without even tuning up, he starts playing ‘I Can’t Explain’ ” — the Who hit. “Noel Redding hasn’t seen them, doesn’t get it. Like, ‘What key is this!?’ Pete laughs, Entwistle laughs. Hendrix stops and does his set.”
    Phil Wood today. The 16-year-old guitar player grew up to be a radio broadcaster who hosts the Washington Nationals postgame shows. (Toni L. Sandys/THE WASHINGTON POST)
    “We had never seen anyone have sex with a Stratocaster, and that’s essentially what he was doing,” says Wood, who became a radio broadcaster and hosts Washington Nationals postgame shows.
    Nils Lofgren, then a teenage guitar player whose band Crystal Mesh opened for the Hollies at the Ambassador, was among those who dashed uptown from the Who show.
    “It was seeing Jimi Hendrix there that kind of struck a chord in me that maybe this was something that would be a calling or a profession,” says Lofgren, who now plays in Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band.
    “Hendrix came out and said he was going to dedicate the first song to Pete Townshend, and he was going to do a rendition of ‘Sgt. Pepper,’ ” Lofgren says. “Being naive, and huge Beatles lovers, a lot of us thought, ‘Well, you’re only a three-piece band, how can you play “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”? There’s all these other guitars and strings and violins.’ We just didn’t have a clue what Hendrix was really about.
    “He counted off the song, and I remember he kind of disappeared. He just did one of those things where he fell to the floor, almost sitting on the floor rocking with the guitar between his legs, doing kind of a ‘Purple Haze’-‘Sgt. Pepper’ riff.
    “Everyone just jumped up to try to see him, and from that moment on, everyone was standing and mesmerized by obviously the greatest guitar player that ever lived, certainly in rock-and-roll.”

After a blistering set, some fans noticed that Hendrix switched guitars amid the pounding chords to the last song, “Wild Thing.” He knelt and made his burnt offering, then smashed the instrument on the stage.
    The violent act exhilarated, but also shocked, those who were present.
    “He wasn’t just playing music; he was invoking dark spirits, I believe,” says Charles Smith, the Bumpo co-founder, who continues to make music with Soundwater.
    “People in the audience went crazy, but I thought it was kind of contrived,” says Johnson, the former community activist. “The theatrics overshadowed the fact that this guy could really play.”
    Backstage after the show, Hendrix said he needed a ride to the hotel with his “little dolly bird,” as he referred to the pretty young thing he was with, according to Connie Wright, who saw the show with two friends from Baltimore. They provided the ride and briefly visited his room.
    “He was affable and sweet and unassuming,” Wright says. Among the topics of conversation was Winnie-the-Pooh.
    (Slight Return)
    After a six-month frolic, the Ambassador closed in January 1968, driven out of business by unforeseen logistical hassles and management burnout. It was demolished and replaced by a bank plaza.
    By the fall of 1970, three years after his Ambassador shows, Hendrix was dead, at 27, from choking on his own vomit in a drugged stupor.
    The Sunday performance at the Ambassador is believed by some aficionados to be the last time he ever burned a guitar onstage. The sacrificial instrument split into pieces. Someone in the crowd grabbed the neck, while the body of the black Strat went on display in the lobby. Hendrix signed the white pick guard: “Good luck, be cool, Jimi Hendrix, 8/13/67,” according to Mike Paper.

After the theater closed, Paper took custody of the guitar body and displayed it wherever he lived. It was stolen from his house in Kensington around 1980, he says.
    At the moment of combustion and destruction that last night in the Ambassador, a string popped off the instrument. Wood scooped it up. He keeps it coiled in a clear plastic guitar string case on a shelf in his office.
    “For so many friends of mine who play, it’s like this relic,” Wood says.
    “If they hold their hands over it, something mystical will happen.”
    It’s the high E string, the most fragile, the one for scaling sonic peaks. It bears a bit of char.
    David Montgomery is a Washington Post staff writer. Jeff Krulik is a documentary filmmaker whose latest project, “Led Zeppelin Played Here,” will be completed this summer. Staff researchers Magda Jean-Louis and Eddy Palanzo contributed to this report. To comment on this story, e-mail wpmagazine@ washpost.com.
    Follow the Magazine on Twitter.
    Like us on Facebook.
    E-mail us at wpmagazine@washpost.com.

http://failover.washingtonpost.com/l...f_story_1.html
    "Specially when your only friend talks, looks, sees and feels like you, and you do the same just like him." Jimi Hendrix - My Friend

Thanks

On the jay-walking issue:

That week, Jack [Casady] excitedly called his brothers Chick and Michael back in D.C. and told them to watch out for this futuristic vision with an Afro. When Hendrix did come to town, to play five nights at the Ambassador Theatre in August, the Casady brothers were stoked.

Little did Michael imagine that he'd wind up in jail with Jimi Hendrix–for jaywalking, of all things.
    Michael Casady: It was Hendrix's first visit to Washington, D.C., his first tour after coming back from England. Chick and his girlfriend Mary owned a head shop, and I guess Hendrix walked in their shop or something–somehow Chick and Mary ran into him and I happened to be down there.
    Chick Casady: I introduced myself as, "Hey, my little brother Jack has a rock and roll band out on the Coast. Hi, how ya doing?" So we got together, went out to my place, we took some acid. Then Michael got arrested for walking across the street with Hendrix.
    Michael Casady: We met up on the street. Hendrix said, "Let's go get something to eat." We went walking down the street and looking the way he did, the cops zeroed right in on him. He was wild-looking.

http://www.gotarevolution.com/hendrix.htm

"Specially when your only friend talks, looks, sees and feels like you, and you do the same just like him." Jimi Hendrix - My Friend

Thanks

On Nils Lofgren seeing Hendrix at the Ambassador that night:

Nils Lofgren has recorded and toured with Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen as well as enjoying a successful solo career. His latest venture is a solo album entitled `Damaged Goods' (1995).
    UV: I read that you saw Jimi Hendrix several times - the first time was in Washington DC.
    NL: Yeah, on his first tour. Actually, the night I saw Jimi was the night I decided to become a professional musician.

UV: Were they related or was that coincidence?
    NL: No, it was completely related. I was playing guitar a lot, I was very good for a seventeen year old who'd just started two years earlier but I never really thought of it as a career because back in the mid-'60s, at least in America, you know, people like the Beatles and the Stones... In the beginning they were freaks. No one really thought about it as a career. And when I saw Jimi Hendrix I just was possessed. I realised, "Oh my God, this is what I want to do. It's going to be my career." And there was no turning back. Just about a month later I was in Greenwich Village trying to sneak into record companies and get deals! It was pretty funny - I was pretty pathetic! But I was trying anyway. That really was a huge turning point for me. I followed Jimi around - he was, I think, probably the biggest inspiration to me of all as a guitarist and the Beatles really were the ones who inspired me to rock `n' roll and I fell in love with rock `n' roll through the Beatles and I think they have the greatest body of work still today. There's so many great influences - the Stones, of course, are huge, and the British invasion - the Who, the Yardbirds, the Animals, the Kinks... I mean, Christ, even Herman's Hermits had some records I loved [steady on, Nils] - I mean, I thought they were really underrated. I thought they did some great stuff. And all that stuff, the Cream... Jimi was at the top of the list really. I followed him around a lot, saw a lot of his shows and my band Grin wound up opening for him in California for a few cities which was an enormous thrill for me.

UV: Did you meet him at all?
    NL: Yeah, I met him quite a few times but I didn't get to know Jimi. I just was a fifteen, sixteen, seventeen year old kid, you know, nineteen year old opening act just going to say, `Hey Jimi, you're the best, I love you, take care of yourself' and over the years you could see him getting more depressed and more ill physically and it was really sad to watch. And of course I was so in awe of him... And I wasn't like... I didn't know Jimi, I just met him and said `hello' to him as a fan and just was inspired by him and I just never, you know, I didn't know what to do. And I didn't never really think that... I just thought he was kind of immortal but there was really one of the biggest blows still in my life when I heard that he had died. Still to this day is a loss that has really diminished my life in some respect.

UV: Do you remember any particular concerts?
    NL: Certainly the first time I saw him was the most memorable but all the times I saw him he was equally impressive. First night I saw him we were just kids and we'd just gone to see the Who - in fact there was a huge show with the Blues Magoos, Herman's Hermits and the Who. This was the original Who with Keith Moon. And they were just spectacular and then we all rushed over to the Ambassador Theatre - it's like our Ballroom here in DC to see, our psychedelic ballroom - to see Jimi. And Pete Townshend was in the audience - he had come over. And Hendrix came out and none of us really knew anything about him apart from he was supposed to be this magical guitarist. And he only had three people in his band which of course we'd never seen and then... It was funny `cause we were so naive - he announced he was gonna play `Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band'. And all of us are like, `Well, how can he play that? Where's the horns? Where's the strings? Where's all the extra guitars? What's he talking...' We were so oblivious to where Jimi was coming from and he was just such a... I mean, he was just so amazing to look at. He was just so, you know, gorgeous. Just like this animal athlete kind of thing. And he counted off the song and I'll never forget, you know... Everyone was just kind of sitting down wondering what the hell is going to happen. And he had these huge stacks of Marshall amps and, you know, you didn't really know how loud it was going to be and at the end of the count he literally just disappeared, you know. He fell on his, you know, like dropped back with his ass on his heels, guitar between his legs and just kinda went out of vision and the whole audience just leapt up to their feet and he's down there, you know, bumping and grinding doing `Sgt Pepper's [Lonely] Heart's Club Band' ˆ la `Purple Haze' - you know, that kind of rhythm, a little bit slowed down. And it was just completely mesmerising and overwhelming and inspiring. And I've been just hooked ever since.

UV: Have you got a favourite Hendrix song or album?
    NL: Well, not really, there's so many great things... Off the top of my head, `Voodoo Child (slight return)', `All Along The Watchtower' is incredibly stormy and spooky... And I think `Little Wing' probably is the best 30 or 60 seconds of guitar playing - the intro - some of the most innovative, creative stuff I've heard in my life to this day. Just unbelievable. Even the `Cry Of Love' album I thought was really underrated - there's so many beautiful things on that. All his stuff was just spectacular but those are some of the things that jump out right off the top of my head. I think that one side with `Still Raining, Still Dreaming' and `Voodoo Child (slight return)', `All Along The Watchtower' and `House Burning...' That's probably one of the, you know, as great a side of a record as has ever been made.

This interview was originally published in `UniVibes' issue 20, November 1995.

http://www.djnoble.demon.co.uk/ints/NILSLOF.GR2.html

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ezy Rider For This Useful Post: