Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314

Thread: What They Said About THE MAN

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Re: What They Said About THE MAN

Trio Barroco + TG jr. & 'Van' : 'Hold on I'm coming' (1968, Portugal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDPx9jx8lNA
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 274 Posts

Television’s Richard Lloyd Tell Stories From His New Memoir, Including The Time Jimi Hendrix Punched Him
    ByCORBIN REIFF DEPUTY MUSIC EDITOR
    http://uproxx.com/music/richard-lloy...-this-eddie/4/

You tell a great story about getting punched in the face by Jimi Hendrix. How was his left hook?

It was a flurry. Three punches. Left to the face, right to the stomach, left to the face. I sat down and my first thought was, ‘He packs a pretty good punch for a scrawny black guy!’ Then I was taken with measuring the force of his blows. We were all drunk, but I sat down, and I tried to absorb that energy. There’s a tradition in China where, if you hear someone is a great Kung Fu master, you go and get yourself beat up by them and steal some of their Chi. It was a little like that.

You didn’t try to get back at him?

I didn’t lay a hand on him. He had done all the punching. I stayed for another 45 minutes to an hour [after the club closed] until the guy with a broom or a mop said, ‘You gotta go. I gotta lock up.’ So I leave, and across the street in the parking lot is Jimi sitting in his Corvette. He rolled down the driver side window and cocked his finger to call me over. He took my hands in his and began crying and saying, ‘I’m sorry.’ I said, ‘Don’t worry about it. Jimi, go home and get some sleep. Everything’s fine.’ He cried on my hands, so I got a measure of his compassion as well. He was deeply, deeply sorry.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubem View Post
    Television’s Richard Lloyd .
    So Velvert Turner says Jimi was his 'pal' and Lloyd piggybacks on it. I've seen nothing that persuades me JH had anything to do with Turner?
    Frank Zappa: "Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 Times in 274 Posts

Bootsy Collins on playing with James Brown, learning from Hendrix, and LSD
    Features / 1 day ago / by Ian Fortnam
    http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-11-...endrix-and-lsd

Did Jimi Hendrix change your world?

Totally. It wasn’t just him as an entertainer or a guitar player, it was his whole embodiment of being a space being that did what he wanted to do, played the way he wanted to play, dressed the way he wanted to dress. And all of that sent signals. He was like a milestone or blueprint, especially for young black musicians coming up. It was like, “If he can do it, it can be done,” and that’s all I needed to know.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rubem For This Useful Post: