Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What They Said About THE MAN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 761 Posts

Re: What They Said About THE MAN

Billy

"There are those who come before the public eye and are commercialized into the consciousness of the masses. We are told they are popular, and we echo, they are popular. Then there are a few who are so intuitively tuned into the universe that they are still influential even though they are beyond sight. This is immortality, and Jimi Hendrix is immortal. It is exciting to know that the world has yet to truly be exposed to Jimi's genius. Maybe the rumors that are used by some to cloud his image will be replaced by an understanding of the man I knew - a child of the universe, a guitar maser, a warm and gentle soul."
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Man, I don't know what we're going to do now that Jimi Hendrix copped out on us . . .
    He was the only black cat who could play psychedelic.

Bo Diddley - 1974
    Just below the surface of our everyday world lie riches . . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steev View Post
    "Man, I don't know what we're going to do now that Jimi Hendrix copped out on us . . .
    He was the only black cat who could play psychedelic."

Bo Diddley - 1974

Awesome Steev!!!

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

April 1965:
    Jimmy returns to the Little Richard entourage in time to do a gig at the Whiskey-a-Go Go in Atlanta
    Marquette [Little Richard's road manager]
    Richard used to allow him to do that playing with his teeth onstage, and take solos.
    It became part of the act, all that playing behind his back and stuff.
    Richard taught Hendrix a lot of things, and Hendrix copied a lot of things from Richard.
    Richard used to say, "Look, don't be ashamed to do whatever you feel. The people can tell if you're a phony.
    They can feel it out in the audience."

Thanks

B. B. King

"When you heard Jimi Hendrix you knew it was Jimi Hendrix, he introduced himself with his instrument. His attack to a guitar, man, was, oh, something else. ...Jimi played blues and played it well and he played good blues."

Thanks

Brian Jones

"Jimi Hendrix is the most exciting guitarist I've ever heard." - Brian Jones

Thanks

Junior Brown - (the Jimi of C & W)

"Hendrix was back there with a few of the others who were like my training wheels ... hearing him as a teenager taught me to look at the guitar in a different way - and how to tap into that thing inside of me that was already leaning toward improvisation. You learn other players' licks at first; Then you take off the training wheels and start using the licks as building blocks to make your own thing. That's how influences work. Somewhere in whatever I do, there's a little bit of Hendrix -"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Les Paul - December 1965

It was one of those funny nights. My #2 son, Gene & I were taking Master tapes from our home in Mahwah NJ to Columbia Records in NY.

We decided to drive by a nightclub in Lodi NJ, which usually had good talent. I stopped the car, and as usual, Gene looked in. He came back out & said, "Father, you better look for yourself. There's a guy playing all over the guitar."

I went in and stood in the doorway to listen. I was really impressed with what I heard. Yes indeed, that dude was really working his guitar over. He was bending string, playing funky as hell. I'd never seen anyone so radical.

We had to push on to NY, but we decided that after we'd dumped those tapes, we'd hurry back to the club and nail that guy.

A couple of hours later, that's what we tried to do. When we got back and asked around, the bartender told me some black dude had come in earlier to audition, but his playing was too crazy for them-too wild and too loud, so he and the group he was with hadn't been hired. When last seen, about an hour before Gene & I could get back, the guitarist had been fooling around on the piano in the club. That's all anyone in the club could tell us. No one knew his name or where he could be found.

Gene and I called musicians' locals all around NY & NJ-No one knew who we were talking about. Finally, we decided to look in every single nightclub in North & Central Jersey, and also in Harlem, uptown. But with no name and only a description of a wild man with a guitar - different than what's around, more funky, raunchy - people just looked at us . . . . .

Thanks

From Spectropop.Com: Barney Kessel's son Dan on the Kessel/Hendrix connection:

"Several years before that in late 1966 and part of 1967 when my brother David and I were kids, we were in Switzerland, England and Lichtenstein for a while. We were completely into Phil Spector and Brian Wilson. We'd been at the 'River Deep - Mountain High' and 'Good Vibrations/Pet Sounds' sessions at Gold Star, which our father played on. We loved the Byrds, whom we'd seen perform 'Eight Miles High' on Sunset Strip with our step-brothers Mickey and Tim, and other L.A. bands like Love and the Doors. And we were digging the whole late mod/early psychedelic English thing. I was listening to Radio Luxembourg and Radio Caroline on my AM/FM/short wave and reading Melody Maker, Fab 208, NME, Record Mirror, etc. And, we got to see some of the early Pink Floyd gigs in London. Intoxicating stuff, all!

"Anyway, we were in London when the Jimi Hendrix Experience was first formed. We were up on all the buzz and we pestered our dad for us to go see Hendrix's band at the Bag O' Nails club in Soho. He was busy with his own scene but he did arrange for David and me to get into the club. Of course, Jimi, Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell were phenomenal. We had our minds blown, plus, we were in awe that Brian Jones, McCartney and the rest of England's rock elite were all there in the audience. We saw several of his London shows and got to meet him and hang out a few times. We totally flipped over Hendrix. And, we were stoked when he told us he was in awe of our father. After that, we did nothing but rave about Jimi all the time, till it got to be too much and people finally had to tell us to shut up.

"Being a virtuoso jazz artist, our father wasn't musically impressed with rock guitarists unless they had a real grasp of blues or country roots. Because, although a jazz purist, his foundation was in blues and country and western swing. So, with much lobbying from my brother and me, he'd come to appreciate some of the Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Mick Taylor stuff with John Mayall, and some of Jeff Beck's stuff. With Jimi, though, he resisted the whole circus atmosphere, the pyrotechnics and psychedelic posturing. But, after we kept playing him our Hendrix records, he eventually appreciated that behind the excessive image, Jimi was actually an innovative blues guitarist, who had taken it into the next dimension. And, he liked Mitch Mitchel's playing too, saying Mitch was the jazziest rock drummer he'd heard. He also commented that he thought Jimi's vocals were unique. We agreed and added that we liked Noel's hair."
    Last edited by Roland Stone; 10-30-08 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks

Ronnie Wood

"Back in those days, all us skinny white British kids were trying to look cool and sound black. And there was Hendrix, the ultimate in black cool. Everything he did was natural and perfect."

Thanks

Ice T

"Jimi’s music is definitely a motivating force for us black rock and roll musicians. He was at least 20 or 30 years ahead of his time. Nobody knows where his music would have been today. The stuff he did back then still sounds current."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Jack Casady

"His left and right-hand dynamics were fabulous. In his right hand, his vibrato, and his left hand, where he picked to get different overtones out of the guitar, was astounding. He would always be moving that around and you would always be taken to a different place, a little adventure on the guitar."

Thanks

Bryan Ferry

"Secretly, I wanted to look like Jimi Hendrix, but I could never quite pull it off."

Thanks

David Crosby

"Jimi Hendrix could play better than our best guys and he did it while he was dancing, while being completely outrageous."

Thanks

Steve Vai

"... you watch Jimi Hendrix literally reinvent the instrument. He was playing from somewhere else. He was really a kind of hybrid, and I can't even begin to imagine where he came from."

Thanks

Little Richard

"I regarded him as innovative, creative, and something of a stylist."

Thanks

Carlos Santana

"Everyone was using tiny brushes and doing watercolors, while Jimi Hendrix was painting galactic scenes in Cinemascope."

Thanks

Buddy Miles

"Musicians and guitarists all over the world are still finding out so many new vivid ideas and imaginations of the man's playing; his gift and his contributions to the world of pop music."

Thanks

Larry Coryell

We jammed together at a club called The Scene in New York City. I don't remember anything about it. But plenty of people told me what they thought about it - that he cut me. So what can I say about it? He's dead and I'm not. It's funny. He died in 1970 and nobody has ever reached the level of rock and roll playing that he did.
    Last edited by Roland Stone; 11-06-08 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks

Roland Kirk

"They put Jimi Hendrix in a bag. They called him a pop artist. But Hendrix was a stoned blues player."