Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: What They Said About THE MAN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 762 Posts

Jack Bruce

"The first time he played in public in London was with us, The Cream, at London University. ... We walked over to the gig and he did sit in and played incredibly, with his teeth and everything, and really blew us all away."
    "Watch Out For Your Ears!"

"We don't want to be classed in any category" - HENDRIX

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Re: What They Said About THE MAN

"When he started to play, something changed; colors changed, everything changed."
    Pete Townshend - on Jimi's Monterey performance
    Just below the surface of our everyday world lie riches . . .

Thanks

Pete Townshend

"Eric Clapton called me and suggested that we check him out. It was kind of keeping an eye on the competition. We arrived at the show a little late as I was stuck in the studio and, just as we arrived, Jeff Beck was walking out. I asked Jeff 'What's the matter mate? Is he that bad?' Beck could only roll his eyes upward and say 'No Pete, he's that good!' When Eric and I saw his show we knew what he meant. He was doing everything - the blues, rock, and things I still can't name. ... It was unbelievable."

“If you can play, you can play anything. I don’t like classifications.” - Buddy Rich

Thanks

Jeff Beck

"We went down to Blaises and I heard this sound blasting up the road, and then went in there, and there was Jimi and I couldn't believe it. He was singing 'Like A Rolling Stone'. I knew the tune, but the way he treated it was something else. He was going crazy and the people were going crazy."

Thanks

Ron Wood

"Jimi used to give me solos, at Staten Island and later at The Scene Club. He used to recognize my guitar playing through the bass ... but Jeff really hated me getting that recognition. I mean, here was Jimi, the world's greatest fucking guitarist, telling Jeff to shut the fuck up and let the bass player have a go."

Thanks

Al Kooper

(at Monterey)
    "I found myself onstage helping organize Jimi's soundcheck. Much to my surprise, he knew who I was, and was a fan of my work with Dylan. 'Hey Al', he said, ' we're gonna play 'Like A Rolling Stone'. Why don't you play organ with us?' I must have been clinically insane because I refused his offer."

Thanks

Ted Nugent

"Hendrix came walking in, pulled a blue Strat out of the case, plugged it into a Fuzz Face fuzzbox and a tuck and rolled Kustom amp, and all by himself started playing shit that was unbelievable. I was mesmerized."
    Last edited by MourningStar; 11-11-08 at 10:30 PM.

Thanks

Eric Clapton

"I couldn't believe how good Jimi Hendrix was. It was a really difficult thing for me to deal with, but I just had to surrender and say, 'This is fantastic.'"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MourningStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Buddy Guy

"Jimi was just a real nice, quiet guy in person. But he put a certain fire into his music, something that you'll never quite be able to put your finger on. But it was there ..."

Thanks

Andy Summers

"I walked in and there he was on stage playing with Brian Auger. At the time it was amazing ... Yeah, it was intense and it was really great. It turned all the guitarists in London upside down at the time."

Thanks

Stephan Stills

"Jimi blew me away so bad at Monterey that, through sheer force of personality I just bullied my way past all the security and sycophants to meet him."

Thanks

Johnny Winter

"... as I'd heard Jimi's first record I was in love with his band, so it was a natural thing for me to want to play with him."
    Last edited by MourningStar; 03-28-11 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks

SCOTT ROSS (700 Club Christian Evangelist)

He was a backup guitarist for my wife’s group, The Ronettes, for a period of time. The name he was using at that time was Jimi James. I also worked at a nightclub in New York called 'Ondine,' it was a disco, and Jimi would come in there and hang out. Dylan came in there too. It was a well-known club, small place, but it was an 'in' place for a while. And while I was involved with the club, Jimi would come in and play. Dylan would sit there and we’d talk. Hendrix was always quite a good guitar player, obviously, and he was a great performer. People would come to see him. I remember vividly the first time I’d seen him play. I think it was at the Ondine actually. A small, small club of a few hundred people, and he started playing something, picking some things with his teeth, on the guitar, I remember that. We talked, he was just around. I was also good friends with The Animals. One night, Chas Chandler who had been The Animals’ bass player went down to the village to hear Jimi play in the club and was completely blown away by what he saw and heard. I remember Chas coming back and talking to me about it. I wasn’t the only one he talked to, but he said to me that he had seen Hendrix, and I probably said, 'Who’s Hendrix?' because I was still thinking Jimi James and he was now using the Hendrix name.
    Last edited by Roland Stone; 11-18-08 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks

RANDY CALIFORNIA

I didn't even know his last name was Hendrix! I always thought it was Jimmy James. When Barry Hansen (a.k.a. Dr. Demento - a Dj that now has a syndicated radio program that plays very obscure recordings) pulled out the "Are You Experienced" album, I said even though the photo is rather distorted, it sure looks like the guy I played with in New York. When I put it on the turntable and heard the actual playing -- I said, 'that's him... Jimmy James!'
    Last edited by Roland Stone; 11-19-08 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks

Marc Bolan

"Everyone else used backing tracks, but he was going to play live because they got him on the show the same day. I was in the control room with the producer, just sitting about when he started 'Hey Joe', and this old lady really freaked out and said, 'Turn the backing trackdown!' because it was really loud. All the machines were shaking. And they said, 'But there is no backing track.'"

Thanks

BB KING

He was Jimi Hendrix! He didn't sound like anybody else but himself. He was like Charlie Parker in his way of playing, he played well, he was a person that made waves. When you heard Jimi Hendrix you knew it was Jimi Hendrix, he introduced himself in his instrument... You know, many radio stations play records and a lot of the times they don't call out the names who you just listened to, but when they play Jimi Hendrix, you don't have to tell me, [you know] it's Jimi Hendrix...

Thanks

ROGER WATERS

"Two thirds of the way through their set, one of them (Cream) said, 'We'd like to invite a friend of ours from America out onstage.' It was Jimi Hendrix, and that was the first night he played in England.

"He came on and did all that now-famous stuff, like playing with his teeth. That ticket cost me about a pound or so. It might have been the best purchase I ever made."

Thanks

RICHIE HAVENS

I actually sent him to Greenwich Village to become Jimi Hendrix, in a way. He wasn't Jimi Hendrix when I met him. He was a guitarist for a band. I met him right after I made my first album. The whole incident was about him getting his own band and not having to get a job through the union to play for somebody else. That's what the gist of the conversation was about. I thought he could do his own thing, and sent him to the Cafe Wha! Three months later I was asked by a friend to go hear this great player down at the Cafe Wha! which turned out to be Jimmy James (a stage name for Jimi Hendrix) and the Blue Flames. So we were friends from the beginning.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Stone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mitch Mitchell

"He played a couple of things on the guitar that I found interesting - the style - and it kind of sparked me off. I used to get a lot of demos from, like, Curtis Mayfield, early Impressions things. And Hendrix was the first person I'd ever seen who could actually play that Curtis Mayfield style, which was unusual. So I named a Jerry Butler song, or an Impressions thing, and he knew it and could play it, and I thought, 'Oh, interesting.' I mean, I'd never been around that area of music before."

Thanks

Buddy Miles

"We met in Montreal (Spring-1964)... He had his hair in a pony-tail with long sideburns. Even though he was shy, I could tell this guy was different. He looked rather strange, because everybody was wearin' uniforms and he was eatin' his guitar, doin' flip-flops and wearin' chains. It was really strange, man but, oh boy, he made that band (The Isley Brothers)."